PDA

View Full Version : Downton Abbey Distress

Florence
9-15-12, 4:05pm
The first episode of Season 3 is being shown in Britain this weekend! We, here on the other side of the pond, will have to wait until Jan. 6! The injustice of it!:(

iris lily
9-15-12, 6:43pm
I regularly wait for all cable shows to come out on dvd. Breaking Bad--hot stuff is going on right now, but I won't know about it until, what, next summer?

That is why, sometimes, it's just best to wait several years until a good television show has completed its run and then watch it at your leisure and when YOU choose, on dvd.

That's part of why The Wire and Deadwood and The Sopranos made such a strong impression on me, I was able to watch many episodes at a time in concentrated form, and it's a big impact when you see it that way rather than doled out in episodic form.

We will survive.

mtnlaurel
9-15-12, 7:25pm
We will survive.

I will just barely survive.
I was spun up about this about 4 weeks ago, vented here, then the distress subsided.
Now the scab has been knocked off..... owwwwww!

Florence
9-15-12, 10:19pm
I will just barely survive.
I was spun up about this about 4 weeks ago, vented here, then the distress subsided.
Now the scab has been knocked off..... owwwwww!

Iris Lily is one of the strong people. She will survive and thrive. I will survive and whine. I'm sorry mtlaurel, I do feel your pain.

IshbelRobertson
9-18-12, 8:17am
Yes, new series started last Sunday evening. I've 'taped' it (what IS the correct term nowadays when you have a 'box' rather than a DVD player, I wonder?) because I still have the whole of Series II to watch - and can't bear the idea of not knowing what is going on in this series!

I am hooked on George Gently, which is a BBC series shown at the same time as Downton. I came late to this detective series set in the 60s and starring Martin Shaw. Love, love, love it. I'll have to get the earlier series on DVD.

Florence
9-18-12, 11:12am
Ishbel, I have added the George Gently series to my Neflix queue. Thank you.

sunnyjoe
9-18-12, 12:15pm
It is possible to watch it now. Explore tunnelbear or expat shield both will allow you to watch it over the web on itvplayer. I haven't done this yet and YMMV of course but I doubt I'll make it to January especially a spoilers start coming out. Also look for "Call the Midwife" on PBS at the end of the month. Another great British series (some say better than DA). :)

redfox
9-18-12, 12:23pm
Foyle's War is good...

Florence
9-18-12, 12:28pm
Foyle's War is good...

Love Foyle's War!!

decemberlov
9-18-12, 12:34pm
I regularly wait for all cable shows to come out on dvd. Breaking Bad--hot stuff is going on right now, but I won't know about it until, what, next summer?

That is why, sometimes, it's just best to wait several years until a good television show has completed its run and then watch it at your leisure and when YOU choose, on dvd.

That's part of why The Wire and Deadwood and The Sopranos made such a strong impression on me, I was able to watch many episodes at a time in concentrated form, and it's a big impact when you see it that way rather than doled out in episodic form.

We will survive.

I do the same thing. DH bought me the entire box set of Heros last year and I thoroughly enjoyed watching it at my leisure...pretty much all I watched last winter.

With the kids and so much going on I can't really commit to catching a show same time every week anyhow.

This is why I love nextflix so much!!! We just started Breaking Bad a few weeks ago, what a great show!

IshbelRobertson
9-18-12, 4:46pm
I loved Call the Midwife. One of our best female stand up/comedians, is a total revelation in this series.

Edited to add. The comedian's name is Miranda Hart. Not a beauty, but so believable!