PDA

View Full Version : Car commercial irritates me, as a dog lover............Iris Lily?

CathyA
9-18-12, 1:18pm
Have any of you (especially you Iris Lily, 'cause I know you really like bulldogs) seen the Jetta commercial? The guy seems really disgusted with his dog, while taking him to the vet.
And in the background is the song by Johnny Cash singing about an egg-suckin' dog. I find it rather crude and heartless. I suppose the guy is taking it to the vet to be euthanized???????
If Jetta is trying to sell cars, I don't think they'll sell them to dog lovers.

CathyA
9-18-12, 1:21pm
Okay.........I just did a search on this and apparently the dog ate the car keys. Weird that the commercial here doesn't show that part, or maybe I just missed it.
That puts a different light on things, but I still think is a mean commercial.........

iris lily
9-18-12, 1:40pm
I'm not sure I've seen this, I tend to ignore car commercials. Jetta is a stupid car, anyway.

Miss Cellane
9-18-12, 1:48pm
I wouldn't read too much into the commercial. What they are trying to show is that even if your dog swallows your keys, you can still lock/unlock/drive your car, if you can maneuver the dog close enough to the locks and ignition. The guy's annoyed and exasperated with the dog, but what pet owner hasn't had a similar moment? And felt, temporarily, like the lyrics in the song? And they don't use the part of the lyrics about getting rid of the dog, just the parts describing the bad things the dog does. I had a moment with my cat last week where I was furious with her and wondering why I ever got a cat in the first place. Right now, she's on the desk between me and the computer and I'm typing one-handed because she's asleep on one arm and I don't dare to move it.

Really, I think they were just using a cute dog to sell a feature. As far as we can tell, the owner is doing the responsible thing and is going to have the keys removed from the dog.

Mrs-M
9-18-12, 2:01pm
Is this (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2012/09/dog-swallows-the-car-keys-in-funny-volkswagen-ad/1) the commercial you are referring to, CathyA? I think it's so sweet.

CathyA
9-18-12, 2:41pm
Yep....that's the one Mrs. M.
I have to say......knowing the dog ate the keys puts a whole new light on it! I don't know how I missed that part! And I thought he was pressing the dog really hard to lock the car and then again to close the window..........but now I understand it a little better. Yes, I've had those moments too. Like I said........thinking the owner was just being impatient with the dog for no good reason, is what I thought the commercial was about. Its not nearly as offensive as I had thought it was. But I still don't like the Johnny cash song with it!
(And I think the dog's going to need surgery if it was a set of keys). rrrrr Is it even possible for a small dog to eat a whole set?? :~)

JaneV2.0
9-18-12, 2:51pm
Yeah. I read the full lyrics on-line. Not a song for dog-lovers. Considering all the money and focus-group efforts spent on advertising, I'm surprised so much of it is so bad. Much of the time, I have no idea what's being advertised (as in the one cited).

But giving credit where credit is due, a new round of Kia Soul ads is out and they're cute and effective!

iris lily
9-18-12, 2:53pm
Yeah. I read the full lyrics on-line. Not a song for dog-lovers. Considering all the money and focus-group efforts spent on advertising, I'm surprised so much of it is so bad. Much of the time, I have no idea what's being advertised (as in the one cited).

But giving credit where credit is due, a new round of Kia Soul ads is out and they're cute and effective!

Those are the ones with the Guinea pigs, right? I already like the Kia Soul (and just remarked on that yesterday, to friends) and those rodents are funny.

CathyA
9-18-12, 3:01pm
I really liked the old Kia commercial where some of the rodents (wasn't sure which kind they were), were driving a Kia and the others were driving a carbboard car that fell apart. It was funny.

Mrs-M
9-18-12, 3:01pm
Re: the Johnny Cash song... http://sausandesigns.com/forum/images/smilies/puke.gif

I love Bulldogs (so bad)!

SteveinMN
9-18-12, 8:18pm
I think ad people often choose songs for the way they sound or one catchy lyric or another; they don't listen to the entire song. BMW currently is using Billy Idol's "Dancing With Myself", a song about -- umm, self-pleasuring certain parts of one's body. Maybe VW's ad agency couldn't get clearance for the song they wanted.

Can anyone tell me why a Jetta is a stupid car? Just curious.

iris lily
9-18-12, 8:42pm

By "anyone" of course you mean me.

Jettas have no style and are overpriced. And one time they were sadly lacking in style and were mechanically inept, now they are just dull but perhaps reliable. I did find myself looking at a Jetta station wagon the other day on the street. I still long for a small station wagon but Ford Motor Co. no longer makes them.

This is my opinion and I'm sticking to it.:)

I have many opinions about cars, just ask me. Probably it's not based in reality, but when I like a car I LIKE it, and when I don't like one I DON't like it, but the majority of them leave me cold.

bunnys
9-18-12, 9:12pm
I've never known of any dog to eat a set of keys that wasn't made out of steak. The whole premise seems a little implausible to me.

jp1
9-18-12, 9:21pm
I've not seen a dog eat keys, but they eat some strange things. Our next door neighbors, growing up, had a dog eat a bathmat, rubber with shag carpet on top. Poor thing had to have rugectomy surgery.

Perhaps the owner of the Jetta had eaten something tasty and messy and had not washed his hands before picking up his keys so they tasted good?

bunnys
9-18-12, 9:46pm
Perhaps the owner of the Jetta had eaten something tasty and messy and had not washed his hands before picking up his keys so they tasted good?

That's probably what happened.

Square Peg
9-19-12, 12:03am
I love the Johnny Cash song. And I am a dog lover

SteveinMN
9-19-12, 9:09am
Originally Posted by SteveinMN http://www.simplelivingforum.net/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.simplelivingforum.net/showthread.php?p=101440#post101440)

By "anyone" of course you mean me.

Jettas have no style and are overpriced. And one time they were sadly lacking in style and were mechanically inept, now they are just dull but perhaps reliable. I did find myself looking at a Jetta station wagon the other day on the street. I still long for a small station wagon but Ford Motor Co. no longer makes them.

This is my opinion and I'm sticking to it.:)
Horses for courses, I guess. VW does not sell as many Jettas as Toyota sells Corollas or Ford sells Focuses. So maybe many people think it's a "stupid" car. You're the one who voiced that thought here, but perhaps others think the same and would have written why. Thank you for responding.

I looked at the Ford Focus wagon, too, back in the day, but couldn't understand why Ford North America would saddle a small car with only automatic transmissions, so I never thought about it further. Of course, as you said, the wagon is now gone from the North American lineup.

Mrs-M
9-19-12, 12:11pm
I've never known of any dog to eat a set of keys that wasn't made out of steak. The whole premise seems a little implausible to me.Yeah... but it's the fun of it. :)

ApatheticNoMore
9-19-12, 1:53pm
Car commercials are very irriatating to me right now in general. I'll be stuck in traffic going 10mph and they'll be all about how driving their car will be wonderful. "We spend a lot of time in our cars we should make it luxurious/an adventure/etc." And I'll be like, yea right, no matter what car you are driving, being stuck in traffic going 10mph on your daily commute is gonna suck. Period. "A luxerious real leather interior", "a v6 engine", is not really going to make it better, it's just going to make your bank account smaller. Now I could see it making driving some open road better where you could actuallly feel the power of said engine or something, but that's NOT the vast majority of the "time we spend in our cars" that is "we spend so much time in our cars it should be exciting" etc.

You might as well just have a super fuel efficient affordable practical boring car for your daily commutes and if you have money left to blow buy the fancy car as a second car for maybe an occasional pleasure drive. But mostly it's a lie. So is most advertising. But that one is so bad and obviously not true and so repetitive (every car company uses it, and they've used it for decades), I don't why anyone falls for it!

JaneV2.0
9-19-12, 6:49pm
Judging by car commercials, you would think driving a spiffy new model means never having to share the road. They always show people zipping care-free along scenic byways. Completely deserted scenic byways.

I drive a stupid car, proudly. I've never been one to drive something because everyone else does. That may change; stay tuned.

iris lily
9-19-12, 8:10pm
I drive a stupid car, proudly. I've never been one to drive something because everyone else does. That may change; stay tuned.

I would like you to look at a Kia Soul, a red one.

JaneV2.0
9-19-12, 10:14pm
My first car was red, and my last one may be too. For awhile I drooled over red Jeep Cherokees. But I did 30+ years driving a tiny car and I can't say I'm eager to go back. Dang cute commercial, though...

Wildflower
9-20-12, 5:26am
My DH had to explain to me that the dog ate the car keys. I didn't get it the first time I saw it! Overall, I still don't like this commercial. Cute dog though. :)

SteveinMN
9-20-12, 8:27am
I would like you to look at a Kia Soul, a red one.
Besides the stupid car, we also own a Soul (silver, though). Nice car, though the gas mileage on the early ones is disappointing. They fixed that in 2012. Time will tell if it will hold up as well as the Jetta, but it's been fairly encouraging so far.