PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is Skype and do you use it?

CathyA
2-4-11, 6:18pm
Any disadvantages? I was thinking it was a video thing but I just read its for just talking too.
Thanks.

Greg44
2-4-11, 7:01pm
We skype with our family out of state. We have a "web cam" that we stick on the top of our screen and we see them on our screen and they see us in ours. Unless everyone's connections are the best it can be choppy -- but still fun to see people
when you are talking with them. We don't use it a lot -- as just talking on the phone is fine too!

bae
2-4-11, 7:16pm
I use Skype on my iPhone much of the time when I want to place a call. Cell phone coverage where I live is horrible, but I can usually find an open wifi spot in the village to call from. My wife just uses an iPod as her "cell phone" much of the time, using Skype.

Alan
2-4-11, 10:04pm
I've been using Skype for years. It can be used to make free voice &/or video calls between computers, and can also be used to make computer to phone calls anywhere in the world for a small fee.

My wife and I use the video chat option to talk whenever one of us is out of town and I use it with my brother from time to time. I've also found it helpful when we're out exploring the country in our motorhome. There are many spots out west where we had difficulty finding cell phone coverage although our camping site usually has wifi available.

I put $10 on my Skype phone account in 2005. I've still got a little over $5 on it.

iris lily
2-4-11, 11:11pm
If this was invented when I had a long distance boyfriend, I'm telling ya, there would not be a DH today. Just sayin.' Whole 'nother (and broader--) layer of phone sex.

Float On
2-5-11, 10:13am
I know we have it because my 13 year old bought a webcam and installed skype. All I know about it is how to unplug the webcam because I'm not interested in being filmed or viewed. So when I sit down to my computer if that little ball on top of my monitor is green I unplug it!

CathyA
2-5-11, 12:04pm
Thanks everyone. I would love to have both the Skype and the camera, just for talking with my kids. But I'd definitely start having to brush my hair more often if I wanted to talk to anyone else. haha

peggy
2-5-11, 3:41pm
Apparently I have a camera built into my computer cause the husband was surfing a while back, playing around with the computer, and called me to "come look" and there he/we were on the screen! Very weird. Not sure if he could repeat it though. I suppose it's in the owners manual somewhere. Our son, who lives in LA said he uses skype and would show us how so we can talk to him.

Alan
2-5-11, 3:46pm
Peggy, it should be pretty easy. If you have an on-board camera, Skype will recognize it and activate it when needed.
You should give it a shot, it's a great way to communicate with family.

peggy
2-5-11, 5:42pm
That's what my son says Alan. Perhaps we will give it a try. It would be good to see him in between visits.

happystuff
2-5-11, 6:55pm
Have it and use it off and on. Have family kind of spread out. Was also great when we traveled out of the country and were able to catch up with family here and there. (Time difference was an issue - lol)

shadowmoss
2-7-11, 12:11pm
Skype and video calling in general are what keeps me sane while I'm down here in Honduras. I talk to Mom several times a week, and I can see her and she sees me. Most we've seen each other in years. One weekend my friend and I sat for over an hour knitting and chatting, her in KY and me in Honduras, just like back when I was there. The first time we skyped and I saw her kitchen in the background, where I've spent many hours sitting at her kitchen table, I almost cried from homesickness. The video really helps.

CathyA
2-7-11, 12:24pm
Boy have things changed! I talk to my kids almost every day (in college) and either email them or text them or talk to them on facebook chat. When I was a freshman in college, there were no computers and only one pay phone in the hall and everyone on the entire floor had to use that one phone! Maybe kids today would prefer that arrangement with their parents! haha Fortunately, I think my kids like keeping in touch with me.

Alan
2-7-11, 12:31pm
I would think any parent or grandparent would love skype. I spent most of 2006 working on a post Katrina project along the Gulf Coast, spending a couple weeks at a time 800 miles from home. During my time there I skyped with my wife nightly and had the opportunity to skype with my two grandchildren on the weekends. It was better than phonecalls because of the video. Being able to see my youngest grandson, who was a toddler at the time, play and being able to interact in a visual manner was almost like being there.

CathyA
2-7-11, 12:43pm
That's great Alan. Hey.....I see you are in Cincy. My DD goes to college there. She really likes the town.

Alan
2-7-11, 12:49pm
UC or Xavier?
Or perhaps one of the half dozen or so speciality schools in town?

CathyA
2-7-11, 1:35pm
CCM at UC.

treehugger
2-8-11, 1:41pm
My parents in California Skype with my brother in Japan every other day for about an hour. Personally, I can't imagine what they find to talk about that much and that often, but it is useful for staying in touch, obviously. He has even given them tours of his apartment, by carrying his computer around. It certainly helps the apron strings stretch half-way around the world. ;)

kib
2-8-11, 3:26pm
Does anyone else hate they way they look on a Skype screen? I often cover that little window that shows me myself or I spend the entire conversation staring at my own face, wondering if my eyebrows and teeth loom so cliff-like in real life, or if I might not look better with bangs. I don't think I'm particularly gorgeous, but surely I look better that That! Gotta admit, I prefer to just audio-skype.

redfox
2-8-11, 4:24pm
WHen my DH has to go to Hawaii for work (oh the poor dear), we Skype every night, and it's so nice to see him! He leaves in March for 10-12 weeks, and I'll love having the ouse to myself for some time... and will really appreciate being able to have our nightly check-ins. He takes our Mac laptop when he travels, and I use the Mac desktop.

CathyA
2-8-11, 5:35pm
Kib.......I feel that way when I look in a mirror! :~)

SoSimple
2-8-11, 9:45pm
When I was last in England with my parents I taught my decidedly non-technical mother how to use Gmail. I chose it over Skype because from one interface she can email, chat, or video-chat with me (simplifies technical support for me . . .). And it's free.

shadowmoss
2-9-11, 8:53am
One friend and I go back and forth between gmail and skype (both free). Some days one works fine and the other is choppy, other days it's the other one that works best. When it's working, gmail seems to have a clearer picture for us, but last time we tried to use it she couldn't hear me. Back on skype it was fine other than ocassional choppiness. I never seem to have an issue with talking to my Mom, and friend doesn't have issues talking with her kids, so not sure where the problem is.

SoSimple
2-9-11, 10:34pm
I had to set up Skype in a hurry tonight for an interview-by-video tomorrow night. Tested it with a friend. It's okay. Very much like Google's video chat, but I sure wish they had just gone with a regular phone call. Doing a first interview by video is a PITA - I find the (at best) 1/2 second delay to be quite distracting when you're talking with someone you don't know well.