PDA

View Full Version : Forget Shorter Showers

catherine
9-21-12, 7:51am
Here (http://williampowersbooks.com/blog/?p=426) is a link to an interesting blog post--it's kind of the flip side of Jana's thread on our contributions to the environment.

An excerpt:

WOULD ANY SANE PERSON think dumpster diving would have stopped Hitler, or that composting would have ended slavery or brought about the eight-hour workday, or that chopping wood and carrying water would have gotten people out of Tsarist prisons, or that dancing naked around a fire would have helped put in place the Voting Rights Act of 1957 or the Civil Rights Act of 1964? Then why now, with all the world at stake, do so many people retreat into these entirely personal “solutions”?

I want to be clear. I’m not saying we shouldn’t live simply. I live reasonably simply myself, but I don’t pretend that not buying much (or not driving much, or not having kids) is a powerful political act, or that it’s deeply revolutionary. It’s not. Personal change doesn’t equal social change.

SteveinMN
9-21-12, 8:50am
Thanks for the link, catherine. Interesting read. But I don't agree with him.

I'll grant that shorter showers and changing light bulbs individually won't save the world. But I don't agree that the effort is for naught because the larger organizations which Powers cites as the main problem do not exist in a vacuum. If individuals decided to quit buying inefficient pickups and SUVs or incandescent light bulbs, sales of those items would drop to the point that producers would reduce or eliminate their expenditures to make them. How many buggy-whip manufacturers are there anymore? Being in a consumption-oriented society makes it harder to make such changes. But it can happen and it has to start with demand.

JaneV2.0
9-21-12, 10:19am
It's a lot easier to take shorter showers (which is a non-starter at my house) than to take on the Machine. We could use a lot more sixties-style protest, but now that we have the Patriot Act (sic) standing up to the (corporate) government can get you disappeared.

Gregg
9-21-12, 10:35am
Derrick Jensen spends a lot of his time promoting this position. He's right that any one person's efforts won't have an impact. But large numbers will. He's also right that going after the big, industrial users of any given resource and getting them to reduce their demand is by far the most effective way to realize significant change in a short time. As usual, its probably best to just keep doing our part individually, try to spread the word in a way that encourages others to join in, write your representatives to encourage sensible legislation and not get overly worked up by the Jensen's of the world. Think of it more as a call to arms than a slap in the face.

Zoe Girl
9-21-12, 10:41am
I was raised with a timer in the shower, 3 minutes if you were feeling the challenge and 5 minutes to get a full experience. So that means it was one household that used less energy heating the water (the concern when we lived in Michigan) and used less of a limited water supply (when we lived in Colorado). And I am pretty sure it did not affect other things, but I still am impressed with myself that we can take short showers

The only thing that gets supre frustrating to me is that it does not seem I affect anyone on a personal level. Any of the things I do are seen as weird or quaint but no one every tries them. sigh.

awakenedsoul
9-21-12, 11:23am
I believe that every action we take matters. Small actions over a lifetime add up to and create a force of energy. I believe in consistency, setting goals, and taking positive steps towards those goals.

I grew up in Northern CA during the drought. Since I was a little girl, I've turned off the water when I wash my hands or soap up in the shower. We were only allowed to water our gardens on specified days. During the gas shortage, we only could buy gas on certain days, and the lines were around the block.

I've been the small business person and have had larger businesses try to swallow me or sabotage my efforts. I've seen how it's backfired, though. Our city is now begging business owners in Santa Monica to come open locations here. They're stuck with empty buildings and a bad reputation. I don't bank with certain people anymore. They made condescending comments about how little I spend, and how low my checking account balance was. I moved to a credit union. When they found out some other details about my finances, (like my savings,) they called me and asked me to bring my business account back to them. I explained why I wouldn't be doing business with them anymore.

The big people need the little people. They can be stuck, too. Everything is interdependent.

try2bfrugal
9-21-12, 11:34am
Part of the personal benefits of simple living is that it is frugal. By cutting our expenses we don't have to work 8 - 5 jobs any longer. Being great for the environment is an added plus. I am not trying to solve world peace.

We were heavily influenced by going on a Native garden tour this past year. The yards were beautiful park like settings, had little urban wildlife habitats, one used rainwater, and all had very low watering requirements. Each of those households probably had several hundred people viewing their yards that day. Like us, many of the other tour guests will go on to try to duplicate those gardens and eventually the idea will spread - prettier yards, less water usage, more wildlife habitats, etc. until it becomes the mainstream thing to do. If someone somewhere hadn't thought of the Native garden idea, I don't think it would have been something I would have ever thought of on my own. This past year even our water company is offering cash incentives for switching over from lawns to to low water usage plants.

ApatheticNoMore
9-21-12, 11:48am
The problem with even masses of people boycotting stuff now is that demand is actually global :( So the whole world might have to? I think society somehow programs people to be passive, weak, accepting of anything. But Jane is right about protest being increasingly dangerous, it's not so much that many people are being permanently disappeared at present, although it's legal, but more run of the mill and increasing police brutality etc.. Still though not risk free I don't think the risk are such to make it way too risky to do yet. But if that comes to be then maybe all you can do is boycott and otherwise passively resist (you'll miss it even if you never used it). Now protest is still possible though.

treehugger
9-21-12, 11:55am
I think most people know that their own personal, small actions don't change the system. But that's certainly no reason not to live mindfully. In fact, it just sounds like an excuse not to make any changes, to take the easy route instead of the right route. I often think of the quote, "Be the change you wish to see in the world." Really, I can only change myself for sure, and I think I am worth the effort.

There have been people here who have said small changes by individuals are a waste of time, but I truly believe otherwise. There are plenty of companies that I choose to "boycott" not because I think I am hurting their bottom line or affecting change, but because their values don't match mine, and living my values is important to me (e.g., cosmetic companies that test on animals and companies that treat their workers badly as a matter of policy).

Kara

JaneV2.0
9-21-12, 11:59am
I have a native garden, much to my neighbors' disgust. Slowly but surely, I'm allowing all kinds of ground cover, several kinds of ivy plus ground covers I bought years ago that are finally really spreading out. Plus volunteer ferns and Oregon grape (it followed me here ;) ) It's a xeriscape, so only the strong survive.

Rogar
9-21-12, 3:21pm
I disagree and think actually the opposite is true. Change starts with one person spreads to a group of individuals, then there are small groups, like maybe this simple living forum. At some point there is a tipping point where there is maybe legislation, or people start making low flow shower heads or high gas mileage cars or stores stop using plastic bags. It ALL starts with individuals trying to make a difference.

I used to be a Derrick Jensen fan, but he got a little too radical to be practical, IMHO. But some time ago I read a Jensen interview. He has a pretty dismal outlook for the human race and the environment. One guy asked, if he had such a grim outlook, why didn't he just commit suicide. His response was that regardless, he enjoyed the fight. Not quite my take, but it is a good point that it basically comes down to doing the right thing and having peace of mind knowing you are abiding by your own conscience.

catherine
9-21-12, 3:32pm
Thanks for the insights on Derrick Jensen, Gregg and Rogar. Frankly, I hadn't heard of him. I am definitely a "be the change you wish to see in the world" kind of person, and definitely not very militant. In fact not militant at all. But sometimes I also get discouraged at the state of affairs. Also, being in market research, I know too well how corporate influence can mold public opinion.

If I were to do something to try to influence some cultural backpedaling on the current trajectory, it would be to figure out a way to balance the pervasive, invasive world of consumer advertising--something like producing simple living PSAs. I do think Facebook actually helps with that. I get so many cool infographics from some great websites, but again, those sites are self-selected, and definitely preaching to the choir. But at least they keep my chin up.

I think the extent of my "activist" activity going forward will be to try to galvanize my own community by organizing block parties and getting to a point where I have the knowledge and experience to teach permaculture at the library and/or high school/community college. That would be so great. If we can each get a handful of kids on the bandwagon, perhaps we will able to sleep a little easier. At least this baby boomer is hoping so.

flowerseverywhere
9-21-12, 3:44pm
I read the rest of the blog posts and my take was that just don't take shorter showers, use that as the first stepping stone towards change, not take longer showers.

I know I for one starting looking into simple living about 15 years ago, and stumbled upon one of the first incarnations of this forum. Reading all I could about money and what it really means, like Millionaire next door and YMOYL started the change for me. The realization that it isn't all about luxury and having more than the Joneses, but having what is just right for you.

The only way to be debt free and be able to have more choice in how you live your life (ie. not working a job that you feel might compromise your values or have to commute long hours to for example) is to spend less than you earn. Shorter showers, driving less, not paying unnecessary fees like library fine and ATM fees (I think it is Clark Howard that calls them stupid taxes) eating less meat etc. can help to get to the end.

Like others, spreading the word one person at a time can have a greater influence, like a pebble in a pond.

ApatheticNoMore
9-21-12, 4:00pm
The only way to be debt free and be able to have more choice in how you live your life (ie. not working a job that you feel might compromise your values or have to commute long hours to for example) is to spend less than you earn.

I think the way out of long commutes is to be willing to move for jobs. I definitely imagine having few posessions helps here! (wouldn't it be nice if it was 100). I'm almost there psycholgically, because I am tired :treadmill:, almost there to just being very flexible to always moving and living near wherever I work (and certainly I won't want many possesions for that semi-nomadic lifestyle).

puglogic
9-21-12, 4:08pm
We discussed this not too long ago on Consumerism, so you may find other comments there ( http://www.simplelivingforum.net/showthread.php?4791-What-is-the-problem-with-simple-living&highlight=Derrick+Jensen ) Still very thought-provoking, but I reject almost anyone who draws a line in the sand and says "THIS is the the one true way to be in this world, in this debate," as Derrick Jensen and so many others seem to love doing.

Rogar, I also take issue with much of what Jensen says currently, but I do love his response to that particular interviewer (the long version is much more profane and also touching). You can be in a situation that is really, really screwed up, but also appreciate that life & the world can be really, really magnificent as well. He put it very well.

awakenedsoul
9-21-12, 4:29pm
I was thinking today about Juliet Prowse and how her small changes influenced me. I did her last four shows with her before she died. She would walk her three dogs every morning. (They were so well trained that she didn't use a leash.) She did yoga every night before the show. She would bring in figs for "the girls" that she had picked from her tree. She made fresh apple juice and brought that in to our dressing room. When she got a run in her stockings, she would wash and dry them, and give them to us to use as wig caps. She gave us her old dance shoes and dancewear. (Boy did we love that!) At her funeral, they mentioned how passionate she was about recycling. I am still so impressed by all I learned from her. What a generous and classy lady!

kitten
9-21-12, 4:48pm
Wow, you worked with Juliet Prowse? Terrific!

I was thinking today about Juliet Prowse and how her small changes influenced me. I did her last four shows with her before she died. She would walk her three dogs every morning. (They were so well trained that she didn't use a leash.) She did yoga every night before the show. She would bring in figs for "the girls" that she had picked from her tree. She made fresh apple juice and brought that in to our dressing room. When she got a run in her stockings, she would wash and dry them, and give them to us to use as wig caps. She gave us her old dance shoes and dancewear. (Boy did we love that!) At her funeral, they mentioned how passionate she was about recycling. I am still so impressed by all I learned from her. What a generous and classy lady!

oldhat
9-21-12, 4:51pm
Both the personal and political are necessary, but as time goes on I'm increasingly convinced -- reluctantly -- that the political is more important. If you could get a law passed in your state that put an onerously high tax on bottled water, for example, you'd probably do more good for the environment than you could in 1,000 lifetimes of recycling.

razz
9-21-12, 4:52pm
I get the impression that the full effect of my simple living decision is being fragmented to make the points in the article.
I use a combination of good mileage car, bundle my driving to drive less, walk, dry my clothes outside, wash in cold water, heat with wood, grow my own food, repair my own clothes and other items, eat a very simple diet with unprocessed food and locally grown meat, bank at a credit union, build community and volunteer amongst many other simple living actions.
It is the combination that saves me a lot of money and reduces my impact. I believe if everyone chose to live as simply as possible, it would make a difference because the corporations would lose their clout as we can chose to consume very little.

try2bfrugal
9-21-12, 5:51pm
I believe if everyone chose to live as simply as possible, it would make a difference because the corporations would lose their clout as we can chose to consume very little.

I think that is a great point. I am going to start a thread related to that on ideas to brainstorm patronize nonprofits and local businesses.

Gregg
9-21-12, 6:54pm
Both the personal and political are necessary, but as time goes on I'm increasingly convinced -- reluctantly -- that the political is more important. If you could get a law passed in your state that put an onerously high tax on bottled water, for example, you'd probably do more good for the environment than you could in 1,000 lifetimes of recycling.

I've come to pretty much the same conclusion, its really just math. But that is no reason to drop the effort to do better in our individual lives. It really should inspire us to do more. Email your Congressman and have them implement that bottle tax, for example (all done in the glow of LED lights, of course).

awakenedsoul
9-21-12, 7:22pm
Wow, you worked with Juliet Prowse? Terrific!

Thanks kitten. She was lovely. The last show we did was Sugar Babies. She and Micky Rooney were the stars. They were phenomenal. It was a dream come true. We didn't make a ton of money, but the memories are priceless...

awakenedsoul
9-21-12, 7:26pm
I get the impression that the full effect of my simple living decision is being fragmented to make the points in the article.
I use a combination of good mileage car, bundle my driving to drive less, walk, dry my clothes outside, wash in cold water, heat with wood, grow my own food, repair my own clothes and other items, eat a very simple diet with unprocessed food and locally grown meat, bank at a credit union, build community and volunteer amongst many other simple living actions.
It is the combination that saves me a lot of money and reduces my impact. I believe if everyone chose to live as simply as possible, it would make a difference because the corporations would lose their clout as we can chose to consume very little.

I agree, wholeheartedly. Character counts. a friend of mine studied voice with Blanche Thebaum in San Francisco. She made a lot of records when she was the resident mezzo soprano at the Met in NYC. She always taught her students, "You must continue to do the right thing."
Yogi Bhajan described it as "raising your caliber." People feel it.

ToomuchStuff
9-22-12, 1:23am
So many of the articles I see people getting either upset about, or causing so much discussions, are done in a way, to bring more attention to the author. (get people to hate you and you will have a more faithful readership who tends to go back to argue with you, as well as fans)

I will admit I have been wrong before, but I don't think Gandhi or MLK started their change by beating others into submission on their viewpoints. Then again, neither did Hitler, who spoke to crowds of people, coming out of a depression, after a prior war, looking for excuses and for others to blame.

creaker
9-22-12, 8:16am
Individual change may not change the world - but the world will never change unless individuals change.

I think the lesson is not living simply or trying to save the planet - it's living your life doing what you feel is right. And deciding what you think is right.

Gregg
9-24-12, 6:14am
Individual change may not change the world - but the world will never change unless individuals change.

I think the lesson is not living simply or trying to save the planet - it's living your life doing what you feel is right. And deciding what you think is right.

+1

larknm
9-26-12, 11:02am
What exactly is a native garden?

try2bfrugal
9-26-12, 1:02pm
What exactly is a native garden?

The tour we went on had yards without lawns that were landscaped with plants native to the local area that would grow naturally without much human intervention, like watering or fertilizer. The yards were were prettier than surrounding houses with plain lawns and yet required less ongoing expense and yard work, once the design and installation phase was complete.

Many were also also Certified Wildlife Habitats (http://www.nwf.org/Get-Outside/Outdoor-Activities/Garden-for-Wildlife/Create-a-Habitat.aspx).

Gregg
9-26-12, 1:23pm
The tour we went on had yards without lawns that were landscaped with plants native to the local area that would grow naturally without much human intervention, like watering or fertilizer. The yards were were prettier than surrounding houses with plain lawns and yet required less ongoing expense and yard work, once the design and installation phase was complete.

Many were also also Certified Wildlife Habitats (http://www.nwf.org/Get-Outside/Outdoor-Activities/Garden-for-Wildlife/Create-a-Habitat.aspx).

Wow, thanks for the link. I really never thought about having a wildlife habitat that is actually certified, but we're already working to provide all the necessary parts. Interesting idea! We are planning our permaculture yard now. A few plantings will go in this fall, most next spring. If I can show DW that the front yard won't look like a jungle we will be making the jump to no lawn at all. She's already on board for everything in the back yard. Its a relatively small lot (just under 7500 sq.ft.) so a bit of a challenge to fit everything we want in it, but the size works in our favor in a lot of ways. Personally I can not wait to put the lawn mower on craigslist and never look back!