PDA

View Full Version : Pan fried chicken

Rogar
10-1-12, 7:17pm
I have been trying to recreate the fried chicken we would have for family Sunday dinners, but just can't seem to get it right. I try for a light coating of flour and not a huge amount of oil that would make it more like a deep fry. I have two cast iron skillets, one with a heavy top. It would seem like a simple task and I'm no stranger to the kitchen, in spite of being a guy. But just can't seem to get it right. Any tips on technique I can try? Mine tends to come out soggy on one end or sticks too much to the pan on the other. I've used canola oil and I'm fairly certain the family recipe used Crisco, but I don't know if that matters.

sweetana3
10-1-12, 8:00pm
I think it is more about having the right amount of oil at the proper heat. If done right, it will not absorb the fat. Mine came out much better with at least 1/4 inch of oil in the pan.

Tiam
10-1-12, 11:11pm
I'm not a fried food cook, but I agree with sweetana that the temperature of the oil needs to be correct. 350 I think is a good degree. I think if you are experiencing sticking, you need to wait until it unsticks itself; So, 10 to 12 minutes per side. Also some people feel that kind of shortening or oil you use can be important. Peanut oil? Lard? Shortening? Canola? Safflower?

Float On
10-1-12, 11:46pm
I've never tried to make fried chicken (other than to fry strips of chicken breast). My mom always used an electric skillet. I asked her a few years back why she didn't fry chicken anymore and she said 'because the skillet broke'. I'm thinking she probably used crisco. When I do chicken strips I use coconut but because it has a lower heat level I don't think I'd use it with large bone-in pieces.

Blackdog Lin
10-2-12, 5:55am
I am not the world's greatest chicken-fryer either, but I have my best successes by: (1) refrigerating the pieces for about an hour after coating (however I've coated them - sometimes plain seasoned flour, sometimes I get more creative); and (2) getting that cast-iron oil (1/4", and I usually use canola, which is what we keep on hand) good and hot before adding the chicken. I always test my oil temperature with a wooden chopstick - if it bubbles when placed in the oil, I'm at 350 degrees, which seems to be about right for "setting" the coating on the chicken. About 5 minutes per side to set the coating, then I reduce the heat a little and cover, and cook till the chicken is done.

Have fun with your trying! I've always thought that the best part of trying to master a new food/cooking technique is you get to keep eating the results till you get it right. :)

herbgeek
10-2-12, 6:13am
I make a baked chicken that tastes very close to fried chicken, with a lot less fat. I use chicken thighs, because they have more flavor to me, and marinate them overnight in buttermilk after removing the skin. I mix up flour, salt, pepper and whatever spices I feel like in a ziploc bag. Then I beat some eggs in a separate bowl. The secret to this is the double dipping of the chicken- take it out of the buttermilk and shake it off, put it in the flour - zip the bag closed and shake , then take it out and put it in the egg bowl so its covered, shake it off, and put back in the flour and shake again . Then I use a light spray of cooking oil (I have one of those mister sprayers). Bake at 400 for 1 hour. Crispy good.

Gregg
10-2-12, 9:53am
My Grandma was a master of pan fried chicken to the point that she had to be in the kitchen all day if word got out she was making it. If you want a healthy recipe this ain't it. You need to take an extra Lipator to eat it, but man is it good. Think of it more like Ben & Jerry's instead of yogurt. Several years ago, in another life, we had a little restaurant and among other things it was known for our "Grandma's Chicken". We only made it on Tuesday nights and it sold out every time. We didn't do it every night because it just takes too long, but it was a great way to draw a crowd on an otherwise dead night.

First, the skin stays on (that's the good stuff, after all). On Monday night we would prep all the pieces and put them in a brine with a fair amount of salt and tons of herbs. On Tuesday morning it got pulled out of the brine, patted dry and then soaked in buttermilk with big sprigs of rosemary floating in it. Crush the rosemary first to release the oils. Grandma was never one to heavily bread a piece of chicken and neither am I so it came out of the buttermilk and into seasoned flour. Season it with anything you like, but limit the herbs because they will burn. A heavy cast iron pan is used and it is filled about 1/2 way up (on a #12 skillet that's about 1" deep) with Crisco, absolutely no oil. She never used a thermometer, but 320* is about the minimum temp you would want to keep it from getting greasy and no more than about 340* or the center of the thighs won't be done before the skin is. In my experience with pan fried chicken 350* is too hot. That would be about right for deep fried chicken, but too hot for a pan.

The biggest single mistake most people make is crowding the pan. Put too much in and the cold chicken will drop the temp of the oil to the point the skin will soak it up and it will be greasy. Frying chicken takes a LONG time and most people who don't get it to turn out like they want it are simply trying to hurry it along. Put the chicken in the pan skin side down, thighs in the middle and breasts and legs around the edge, then don't touch it for what seems like a very long time. If you have the temp right it should take about 12 minutes per side, but flip it and then pull it when you have a rich golden brown. Sprinkle it with salt the second it comes out of the oil, not a lot is needed, but don't skip that step. When it's done set it on a rack to drain. We used a sheet pan with a brown paper bag on it and a rack over that. If you set it on paper towels the towel will soak up the grease, but then as the chicken cools it will soak it right back up. Keep the chicken on the rack in a warm oven while the next batch cooks. When you're all done frying the Crisco makes absolutely the best pan gravy on the planet to put over your mashed potatoes. Hey, if you're going to need a bypass anyway, why not?

awakenedsoul
10-2-12, 1:54pm
That sounds delicious Gregg. I've made fried chicken and have been happy with the results. I dip mine in a beaten egg, and then coat it with flour. I use a heavy fry pan filled halfway with oil. I heat the oil up while I'm breading the chicken. I have the flame at med. high heat. I brown it on each side, then turn down the heat. I let it simmer with the lid on to fully cook. I'm guessing about 20 mins. (I cut into a breast to test if it is done.) Season with salt and pepper.

It is greasy, but I like it that way! It's delicious cold, too. Some people use bread crumbs or cracker crumbs in place of the flour.

Blackdog Lin
10-2-12, 6:20pm
Think maybe I'm going to have to plan a good old-fashioned fried chicken, mashed 'tators and gravy Sunday dinner for us this week. Using some of Gregg's tips for frying chicken.

Need to practice some more, after all.....

:)