PDA

View Full Version : do you believe in larger forces?

Zoe Girl
10-3-12, 10:16am
This is my crazy thing, I think I believe in the larger forces of the horoscopes. Not necessarily the daily ones that say about once a week I will get a wonderful new guy, but the larger trends over the year. The last few years I have been trying to say it is an excuse for what has not worked out however I have seen too much that matches up. Freaky.

So the bad news has been that for the last few years my horoscope has said that I get lots of life lessons and growth experiences. Also that I am not doing things wrong however things are not working out right now. (if you are an old punk think Suicidal Tendancies -Insitutionalized, life is not giving me the damn Pepsi). I have had my scared moments which sound a lot like pity party, but basically are driven by the fear that with my very best effort I still cannot take care of things. I cannot look back and in any way say I slacked off, and I had a very positive attitude for a long time.

The good news is that apparently things are changing and I have a chance to get more of a break in my career and finances and overall well being. There are still warnings to be careful about spending money which I am heeding, however a little cushion or breathing room sure helps. I know it all takes hard work regardless of what these stars in the sky say, but I may have some hope again.

Anyone else have something like this,where despite a level of disbelief there seems to be something to the overall trends of the stars.

iris lily
10-3-12, 10:29am
While I don't actively believe in The Stars and Their Power, the set of life circumstances that I was handed was pretty damned good. But I can think of many decisions I made to make the most of them.

Being born, and being born in this country, is like hitting Lotto right at the start. But certainly I had more than that: parents of sounds mind and adequate resources who loved their kids.

LDAHL
10-3-12, 10:48am
There are indeed powerful forces influencing our destinies. They include random chance and individual character.

ToomuchStuff
10-3-12, 11:06am
Predetermination or free will, eh? Well I believe and can prove (at least to myself) that life has both. It is predetermined, that if your born, your going to die. (there are a few other things as well) but mostly in the middle is free will time. I would classify myself more of an agnostic, with atheistic tendency's, since I think religion is so wrong as it is made up and controlled by man. I only believe in something more, due to three NDE, and I won't go into them. I feel that if there isn't something more, then the brains effect on them due to the lack of oxygen, did change them in such a way that was positive and caused no harm (unlike most religions and the extremists in them).
I will agree with Iris lily and her Warren Buffet comment, that to be born into this country was winning a "life lottery".

JaneV2.0
10-3-12, 11:37am
There are colors we can't see and sounds we can't hear and multiple dimensions we can barely conceive of, so why might there not be unseen forces influencing our lives? I tend to think of astrology (and tarot) like scrying--a way to bring forth and interpret different levels of consciousness.

I was involved in a one-off NDE some years ago, during which a pulse oximeter clearly showed there was no lack of oxygen involved.

creaker
10-3-12, 11:55am
I know I don't know much - which leaves plenty of room for possibilities :-)

But even if there is no "larger force", I think systems like astrology or tarot cards or runes or whatever can provide a framework against which one can consider things, get you to think about something or interrelate particular aspects of things you may not have come up with on own.

redfox
10-3-12, 1:46pm
While I don't actively believe in The Stars and Their Power, the set of life circumstances that I was handed was pretty damned good. But I can think of many decisions I made to make the most of them.

Being born, and being born in this country, is like hitting Lotto right at the start. But certainly I had more than that: parents of sounds mind and adequate resources who loved their kids.

You said it!

Being home with the common cold, today I believe in the larger forces of a virus... <hack, hack>

catherine
10-3-12, 2:08pm
I was involved in a one-off NDE some years ago, during which a pulse oximeter clearly showed there was no lack of oxygen involved.

Can you say more about it? Did it change how you thought in any way?

JaneV2.0
10-3-12, 2:32pm
Can you say more about it? Did it change how you thought in any way?

It took place in a hospital room and involved a loved one describing a scene as they experienced it. They seemed to be waiting with a number of other people and undergoing some kind of orientation, with a pass or key to be issued "in about a month," which--if this was the ticket to Paradise, turned out to be two months. This was an irreligious person, taking minimal--and no psychoactive--drugs, not given to flights of fancy or much imagination at all.

Later in the dying process, they acknowledged seeing dead relatives around them, including one none of us knew had died.

Though I'm an agnostic completely disinterested in organized religion, I've never been a committed skeptic or know-it-all where spiritual matters or the big questions of life are concerned. This was a profound experience that fortified my belief in more to come.

catherine
10-3-12, 2:43pm
Though I'm an agnostic completely disinterested in organized religion, I've never been a committed skeptic or know-it-all where spiritual matters or the big questions of life are concerned. This was a profound experience that fortified my belief in more to come.

Wow. Thanks for sharing that. Last summer I read the book by Anita Moorjani called Dying to Be Me, which related the author's NDE which occurred when she was declared dead from terminal cancer, after which she had a spontaneous remission. Fascinating.

As Shakespeare said:
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Gardenarian
10-3-12, 2:49pm
Yes, I believe there are great forces that are beyond human perception (see my signature line.)

puglogic
10-3-12, 3:25pm
As Shakespeare said:
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

I have always loved, and lived by, this.
I think anything's possible.
I believe in the power of the human mind.
I believe, to an extent, in some kinds of manifestation (see "human mind" above)
I believe in what J.D. Salinger described as "the current of poetry that runs through things, all things".

citrine
10-3-12, 3:31pm
Yes!!! I have absolutely had amazing things happen in my life for me not to believe!

The Storyteller
10-9-12, 9:12pm
No.

iris lily
10-9-12, 9:21pm
No.

ha ha ha that's me.

Now, I think there is a possibility that we all really DO know what will happen to us after we leave this life. And, that end can be different. So when someone says "I am going to heaven" and I say "I am going nowhere, this is the end" we can both be right.

peggy
10-9-12, 9:44pm

Yep!

JaneV2.0
10-9-12, 9:46pm
The idea that this is all an illusion we create ourselves is thought-provoking. I could have done better with mine, but all in all...

And if we make our own afterlives too, I'm going where there are cats and books.

But I couldn't look up at the stars (which I vaguely remember from a youth spent where I could actually see them) and not believe that there are forces larger than we are, completely beyond our comprehension.

Wildflower
10-10-12, 3:13am
I've seen and experienced too many unexplainable and miracleous events in my life and others', that I know there is a higher power and I call Him God.

rose
10-10-12, 4:01am
And if we make our own afterlives too, I'm going where there are cats and books.

Gave me a laugh. I've been known to say "In my next life I want to be a cat that can read". Even though I don't believe in a next life.

Spartana
10-10-12, 3:32pm

The beauty of being agnostic is that we admit we don't know anything so are therefore open to everything! I personally don't believe in things like horoscopes, etc... as my highly trained ((NOT) scientific mind can't comprehend how they could possibily effect my life - stars being just big balls gas for the most part (like all the men I know :-)!). But I don't discount the possibility that there exists some sort of unseen (as of yet because we lack the tools) spiritual world or powerfull all knowing beings, etc... I really have no clue. But as of yet I haven't ever "felt" anything acting upon my free will, therefore I have nothing and no one to blame for all my screw-ups but myself.

Mighty Frugal
10-10-12, 10:48pm
It took place in a hospital room and involved a loved one describing a scene as they experienced it. They seemed to be waiting with a number of other people and undergoing some kind of orientation, with a pass or key to be issued "in about a month," which--if this was the ticket to Paradise, turned out to be two months. This was an irreligious person, taking minimal--and no psychoactive--drugs, not given to flights of fancy or much imagination at all.

Later in the dying process, they acknowledged seeing dead relatives around them, including one none of us knew had died.

thank you for sharing. I won't soon forget this story. NDE has always fascinated me, and reading about true life instances just cements it for me

awakenedsoul
10-11-12, 6:33pm
Yes, I believe in larger forces. I've done my chart in the Kundalini Yoga system of numerology. I was blown away...it described me to a "t"! I don't base my life decisions on tarot card readings, astrology, or the runes, but I've played with them for fun. They usually tell me something that I've felt all along. For me, it's important to stay grounded, and to follow my intuition. Being a dancer, I've had a lot of experiences where I felt somethig bigger was coming through me. I think that happens in any art form, if you're open and working with master teachers. I also feel it with nature. When I see all of the food growing in my garden, I'm blown away by the power of The Earth or Mother Nature. If you've fallen in love, had dreams come true, or been moved by a book, movie, or theater piece, you've experienced larger (or higher) forces.

I also believe we attract what we vibrate. I try to keep my focus on what I want to create. Animals are totally in tune with vibration. They just know the truth. Nothing gets by them.

Spoony
10-11-12, 7:53pm

Rogar
10-12-12, 11:41am
I haven't ever put too much astrology, but do believe there are forces at work in our lives that go beyond what can be explained by science or the rational mind. I have had a handful of events that seem to go beyond what could be explained by coincidence. It leads me to think that humans and perhaps living nature itself are all connected and that we share experiences as something of a collected consciousness.

I have read many NDE books and accounts. They are compelling, but I'm undecided about how real they are and how much they are affected by brain chemistry and the workings of the subconsciousness The fact much of the NDE seems to mold to the culture and religion of the specific person and is not entirely universal discounts some of the validity.

I'm not an especially religious person, but think there is a universal concept of good and bad and right and wrong that goes beyond biological and genetic programming for survival. I try to stay on the right path and have hopes of something special in the afterlife, but no firm convictions. I suppose that makes me sort of a liberal agnostic.

JaneV2.0
10-12-12, 4:19pm
A neurosurgeon heard from:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2012/10/07/proof-of-heaven-a-doctor-s-experience-with-the-afterlife.html

It seems there is synesthesia in the afterlife.

awakenedsoul
10-13-12, 12:01am
Nice article. James Van Praagh has written some interesting books about the afterlife. Sonia Choquette has some good books on this type of stuff, too.

rosarugosa
10-13-12, 4:31pm
Nope. I do believe in the power of love and the wonders of nature, etc., but nothing supernatural controlling the universe.

JaneV2.0
10-13-12, 4:51pm
Supernatural is an interesting word. It might mean something we can't yet measure. Whatever controls the universe is by definition natural.

bunnys
10-13-12, 7:08pm
I believe in science.

JaneV2.0
10-13-12, 7:33pm
Science is a method. Could you explain further?

A hundred years ago, we had no idea DNA existed, let alone how to crack its code. You can't use the scientific method to answer questions you don't know enough to ask.

razz
10-13-12, 8:22pm
Nice article to keep in mind when people state that NDE's are simply a manipulation of some part of the brain.