PDA

View Full Version : A&E's" Duck Dynasty" tv show, does anyone else love it like I do

BayouGirl
10-7-12, 10:05pm
I came across this show and instantly loved it. It is about a Louisiana family (the Robertsons) who came from humble beginnings and turned making duck calls (for hunting ducks) into a multi-million dollar business.

A&E is running a marathon of the shows (tonight) from the first season in anticipation of the 2nd season premiere on Oct 10th.

The show is about a man (Phil) who was actually a talented football player many years ago ( at the same time Terry Bradshaw was) only Phil turned down the chance to go on to the big time football fame and fortune because it would have interfered with his duck hunting season.

So he married Miss Kay and he invented a revolutionary duck call and raised a family of 4 sons. He made a living as a teacher and other jobs and sent his sons onto graduate college as well. The sons took the business the next level and marketed it and now they are millionaires.

But you would never know that they were millionaires or even college graduates based on their live and their appearance. Phil and Miss Kay still live in their same small house. All of the men sport full beards, wear camo and love hunting. They appear to be just typical rednecks with a love of hunting, camo, guns, 4 wheelers and such.

They are also a family that has a great spiritual foundation. They believe in God and live a good life and they are very family centered and put God and family first. They could care less about impressing anyone.

Phil's brother (Uncle Si) is a veteran who spent about 20+ years in the service and now happily spends his days with his brother and nephews. He also sports the trademark Robertson beard (kinda ZZTop style). Si is hilarious with his stories, expressions and just the way he is.

This is a reality show like no other and you can't help but feel the love in the family and admire them for staying the way they are and not changing just because they hit the big time.

iris lily
10-8-12, 10:00am
I haven't heard of this one. I don't have cable tv and so can only watch the ones that come out on dvd or that show up on various web sites. I'll see what I can find on this one.

BayouGirl
10-8-12, 3:24pm
I actually don't have cable either. I came across it while staying at my grams when they were having a day long marathon of all the shows. I loved it so much I had to order the first season on DVD so that I could share it with BayouBoy. He loved it as well. I think they show some of the episodes on the A&E website. The whole show just amuses me because these are guys who would be living in yachts, drinking fine wine and acting snooty but instead they have beards like the ZZ top guys, love the simple things in life like being in the woods and they love having fun with each other.

Mrs-M
10-9-12, 10:39am
I've seen it advertised, but have yet to watch it. Now that I know what it's all about, I'm going to tell my husband, who is a hunter. He's into that sort of thing, ungulate calls, etc.

BayouGirl
10-9-12, 2:49pm
The new season starts on October 10th on A&E. I am so ready. They never fail to make me laugh. They are a family who truly loves each other and laughs together.

Mrs-M
10-11-12, 12:17pm
Well, BayouGirl, I seen it advertised again last night, and I mentioned it to DH, but he was too tuckered-out to watch. I'm going to watch it next time just so we can talk about it! :)

goldensmom
10-11-12, 12:48pm
I am strangely attracted to this show, so much sophomoric humor but I like it anyhow. My husband thinks something is wrong with me.

Mrs-M
10-12-12, 9:44pm
Goldensmom. The next time it airs, I'll try and watch it so you, BayouGirl, and I, can chat about it after!

Mrs-M
10-18-12, 10:44am
Well, the verdict is in... Duck Dynasty, was on last night and I made a point of trying to watch it, but no can do, it's just not for me.

goldensmom
10-18-12, 11:23am
You’re right Mrs. M., it’s not for everybody, my husband doesn’t like it so he sleeps through it. I don’t care for reality shows (although I will claim an Ice Road Truckers exception) and rarely watch them but will pause for a few moments to see what the show is about. Now regarding ‘Honey Boo Boo‘, I fly past that show as the commercials provide more information than I need to know.

Mrs-M
10-19-12, 7:05am
Goldensmom. I wanted (so badly) to get into it so I could come here and chat about it with you and BayouGirl.

Spartana
10-25-12, 10:58pm
OMG I REALLY want to see this show now. I don't have TV at the moment so will have to envision it as a sort of "Honey Boo Boo 'rastles a 'gator down in the Bayou" kind of thing. I'm sure Honey Boo Boo won :-)! Of course without TV or cable I really know nothing about Honey Boo Boo either. I wonder if they have these shows on netflicks.

Mrs-M
10-26-12, 9:22am
Do search around on the net for it, Spartana. I have a feeling you're going to love the show! Just knowing your nature and all... :)

Spartana
10-31-12, 8:21pm
Do search around on the net for it, Spartana. I have a feeling you're going to love the show! Just knowing your nature and all... :) Yeah I really like to see shows that depict people from humble beginnings who use the skills and tools available to them to make a very interesting, off the beaten path kind of living and lifestyle. I find those kind of things very inspirational. And while I'm sure the show is meant to be a humorous "lets make fun of the hicks" kind of thing (it is reality TV after all) I think seeing what they start with, what they achieve, and how they thrive is great! Especially when they still live in a humble, down-to-earth kind of way irregardless of how much money they make.