PDA

View Full Version : ECO and Code friendly Light for walk in closet

Merski
10-9-12, 7:57am
We have to replace the fluorescent (?) light in our walk in closet because the constant off and on to the bulbs isn't good for that kind of lighting. Technically by code we cant just put in a regular incandescent light. We need something very bright because our eyesight isn't as good as when we were 25. Any recs? Thanks for any help.

SteveinMN
10-9-12, 9:20am
We have to replace the fluorescent (?) light in our walk in closet because the constant off and on to the bulbs isn't good for that kind of lighting. Technically by code we cant just put in a regular incandescent light. We need something very bright because our eyesight isn't as good as when we were 25. Any recs?
Merski, are you in California? (That's the only place I know with that kind of code.)

You could check out halogen bulbs. They're more efficient than regular incandescents, so you'd get more lumens (light) for the same wattage. But I don't know if those would meet code in your area. The other direct-replacement option would be LED bulbs. They're expensive, but they're about 6 or 7 times more efficient than incandescents and switching them on and off all the time does not kill them.

A couple of out-of-the-box ideas, though:
- A Solatube or similar mini-skylight. I don't know if there is a roof over your closet and a mini-skylight certainly won't help at night, but it might help depending on your house and schedule;
- Maybe the problem isn't so much the amount of light so much as where it is. For example, in our kitchen we have a centrally-mounted ceiling light (actually a ceiling fan). Despite having the equivalent of a 100-watt light bulb in there (it's a CFL now), working in the kitchen almost always means putting your body between the light source and your work. We're not 25 anymore, either. :) The key for us is to put lighting where we need it -- over the sink, over the peninsula, under the cabinets -- and let the fan light be just a general lighting. One other option for us is to replace the single-bulb fan light with a five-light hanging light we found. If the light is coming from more directions, it may be as useful. But that might be an option for you -- auxiliary lighting of any kind that is just where you need it.

try2bfrugal
10-9-12, 10:03am
For our front closet I just bought a couple of battery operated lights with sticky pads on the back that stick to the wall. They just look and work like little round flashlights.

Merski
10-9-12, 10:03am
We live in massachusetts. Perhaps code is for closets in general but ours has more space to walk around. It isn't really big (Like Oprah's) but it certainly isn't the dinky closet that some of us had when we were kids.

lesliemorris85
1-22-13, 1:27am
LED under Cabinet Lighting. Perfect eco solution to light up your walk-in closet or pantry as well.

Gregg
1-22-13, 9:38am
LED's are the future (for now anyway).

lesliemorris85
1-22-13, 8:05pm
LED's are the future (for now anyway).

That's what i'm thinking also. :)

ToomuchStuff
1-22-13, 9:52pm
And you can get led's that use your existing fixture, minus the guts of it. Or you could (depends on your code), use an incandescent fixture (a19 bulb style) with an led bulb.