PDA

View Full Version : Would you live where you are, the way you are, and do what you do if...

Spartana
10-12-12, 1:54pm
...if you didn't have to take into account all the real life issues most of us have to deal with. Things like living in a specific area or in a specific way for jobs, spouses, kids and grandkids, pets, disabilities, ageing parents, lots of guests visiting, etc... If you didn't have to make concessions for those things, what would you do differently? Would you live in the same area and in the same way as you do now or would you change it? Smaller or bigger digs? Completely different lifestyle? Something crazy? For instance, I'm not a big fan of Southern Calif but, because I want to stay near my sister who is my only family (and who's also my dog sitter - very important :-)!) as well as my friends - all of which live in Socal, I make a concession to stay here for the most part. When my parents were alive I also choose to stay near by. Also had a bigger place then I would have if just living by myself to accomadate spouse, and then friends and family visits when I lived in a resort town, where I had alot of overnight visitors. Also a house with a yard for the dogs even though I would have preferred a small apt or condo. And when I was married and/or working I stayed near my DH and job when I really disliked the area. So what about you? If you could keep all the aspects of your life you like (SO, kids, finances all stay the same) what would you change if you were free to make changes?

CeciliaW
10-12-12, 2:05pm
I'd be in an apartment in Paris. High ceilings, long windows, yellow curtains, small galley kitchen, one cat, part time job in a near by store.

herbgeek
10-12-12, 2:41pm
I have a couple of other places I would also like to live, if money and family issues were not in play. Sonoma CA is one (but my house there would cost at least 4x there), Charleston SC. I guess any place with a lot of good food would do. I'd prefer to be within an hour of an ocean, so even though Boulder was a fun place to visit, I wouldn't want to be there long term.

bunnys
10-12-12, 3:09pm
Want to live near the mountains (or better, in the mountains.) Would like to be about 100-150 miles farther north so I could take the edge off heat in summer and so I could enjoy more (or rather, some) snow in the winter.

bae
10-12-12, 3:15pm
Would you live where you are, the way you are, and do what you do if... ...if you didn't have to take into account all the real life issues most of us have to deal with.

We picked our current location mostly without constraints, so I wouldn't change much. Our single biggest set of constraints come from raising a child here, once our daughter has left the nest, we might make a *few* changes:

- perhaps a smaller home, still here
- perhaps in a slightly different location in the community, with less need to be close to the village
- more farmable land

ApatheticNoMore
10-12-12, 3:32pm
I'm in Southern Calif for the same types of reasons you are, plus I need employment and am able to find it here despite the economy.

If I had *NO* constraints at all, I don't know if I'd even live in this *country*! I'm not sure I really like it very much frankly.

I don't need bigger digs (and a 1 bedroom is small enough, I'm not itching for a tiny studio or lusting over a rented closet!). Somewhere cheaper, somewhere greener, somewhere with lots of natural beauty, somewhere less stressful, and especially less economic stresses, maybe some place on earth with a very different philosophy of life (less materialistic all the time, able to value something besides money). Do want a decent sized town, not after the middle of nowhere, and somewhere open minded. Nice to have but not required is somewhere with a garden, I don't have to own it, just to use it.

Spartana
10-12-12, 3:44pm
I'd be in an apartment in Paris. High ceilings, long windows, yellow curtains, small galley kitchen, one cat, part time job in a near by store.

It's in Paris, it has long windows and yellow curtains - and best of all, I'd be living next door because that would probably be my dream life too :-)! I'll bring the chocolate crossiants and cafe au latte!

http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1015&d=1350071209 http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1013&d=1350070893

BayouGirl
10-12-12, 3:48pm
I would live where I am now, in the boonies of Louisiana, in a small town, surrounded by pastures, pecan tress, woodland, swampland. Our nearest neighbors are my inlaws, half a mile away on property that is next to ours. Most of the property around us is family property. The nearest bank, walmart and fast food place is 25 miles up the road. Our house is a small woodframe house, 600 sq feet.

Our children are grown though one son does boomerang back on us and sleep by our house depending on his relationship status. We live a simple life, no mortgage, rent or car note. We choose not to have cable because we have internet and can watch shows and such on that. I could go weeks without wanting to leave home. I am a homebody and am happy where I am. We live a simple life with few extravagances and are content with what we have.

What we have is what I have always wanted. I would like to be closer on the water but I am content enough where I am. I feel so lucky to be able to live my life were i do, with our many acres, our cows, a horse and the 8 outside cats (mostly rescue cats, all spayed an neutered) that roam the property.

catherine
10-12-12, 3:58pm
I think I may be more like Spartana than you'd think.. my DH/family has kept me fixed in my roots, but because I really love almost everywhere that I've lived for a period of time (the beach in CT, Vermont, New York, Marina Del Rey, Minneapolis, London and even New Jersey to name a few), I think I'd just wander!

I'd rent at the beach, tow a Tumbleweed House to my son's back yard in Burlington, take trips to Europe and stay there for a couple of months at a time, hang out in LA sometimes, go to China bc DH says that I HAVE to go there it's so beautiful (that's one place he'd probably move to that I would resist simply because I'd never see my kids).

Cool question!

CeciliaW
10-12-12, 4:17pm
It's in Paris, it has long windows and yellow curtains - and best of all, I'd be living next door because that would probably be my dream life too :-)! I'll bring the chocolate crossiants and cafe au latte!

http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1015&d=1350071209 http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1013&d=1350070893

Oh My Gosh! That's a little fancier than I had in mind, but I could manage. :D

Wonderful plan, Spartana.

pcooley
10-12-12, 4:57pm
I'm where I want to be. With a little more money, I might prefer to own a home over on the east side of town, but I'm actually happy in this neighborhood.

All I really want is more uninterrupted time. I'd like more time to sleep and more time to read.

Gregg
10-12-12, 5:09pm
I'd live 30 miles outside town rather than in it. DW would prefer to live next to a subway stop in Manhattan. This is a good compromise.

Zoebird
10-12-12, 5:11pm
I don't really consider those obligations per se.

Right now, I'm considering moving us back into the city sometime next year (around this time), so that we can be closer to DS's school (cutting DH's commuting time). That's about all I would change. The only real obligation is around what is easiest for us (and what we can afford).

Spartana
10-12-12, 5:49pm
I don't really consider those obligations per se.

Right now, I'm considering moving us back into the city sometime next year (around this time), so that we can be closer to DS's school (cutting DH's commuting time). That's about all I would change. The only real obligation is around what is easiest for us (and what we can afford).

Oh I didn't mean those things like kids and parents as obligations - or anything negative - just life choices that most people happily make that sort of pull them in one lifestyle direction over others.

CeiliaW - yeah too fancy for me but when in Paris :-) I'd actually love to go to a cooking school if I lived in Paris (asnd I don't really enjoy cooking at all) but it seems like a fun and interesting thing to do.

AmeliaJane
10-12-12, 6:01pm
If circumstances allowed, I'd love to move back to the Pacific Northwest. (Job-related issues, combined with family). I like a lot about my current home in Texas, but boy do I miss year-round enjoyment of the outdoors (I'm a fan of rain.) In terms of living arrangements, I find myself intrigued by the new micro-mini studios that come with common space elsewhere in the building. I like living alone and having privacy, but there are times when I miss the opportunity for social interactions that I remember from, say, my graduate school dormitory. Available whenever you want it, but you can get away if you like. But any small city apartment would do me.

Stella
10-12-12, 6:12pm
I think I'd still live here, although once in a while I daydream about having a house that is actually built for this many people (8). I have a friend who custom designed her house for her large family and it has a library and a school room. I'll admit that sounds lovely. I love my neighborhood, though, so I'd probably just remodel the kitchen in this one, since that's the hardest piece to deal with and continue to find creative ways to use the space we have.

What I would do is hire someone to do my laundry until more of my children are capable of being helpful and maybe get a cleaning lady once a week so I could focus on the chores I like. I'd also get an RV and travel a lot more.

puglogic
10-12-12, 6:23pm
I don't think there is a lot I would change. We both talked the other day about places we'd feel comfortable living if his employment situation changed (it's his job that keeps us here, essentially). British Columbia came up - we both love it there -- and the mountains in North Carolina. And a few other places in Colorado. But not many other places held any appeal for us. I'd prefer a smaller house with an acre and with outbuildings to this thing we have here, but hey, I can be happy just about anywhere.

redfox
10-12-12, 6:56pm
Back to rural/small town living.

Tammy
10-12-12, 7:27pm
I would live in a little motor home and travel a lot.

razz
10-12-12, 7:27pm
We specifically chose our small farm in a location that we love with our own conservation woodlot, lots of walking space, near artistic amenities that I enjoy so happy for now. When we may move in the forseeable future, it is is for mobility issues and physical energy requirements for upkeep of the grounds. It is lovely seeing the many trees that we planted growing large.

sweetana3
10-12-12, 7:54pm
I think I would wander a bit also and when settling, choose a more urban spot with a smaller footprint living area. I have had the itch to live in Thailand for awhile and then I wanted to try Portland, then Scotland, then NYC. I guess I want to be a tourist for a longer than vacation time.

Wildflower
10-12-12, 8:35pm
I would love to move around with the seasons. Go where it is warm when it is cold here. Go where it isn't broiling in the summertime. I prefer milder climates overall. But I would always return to my home here for periods of time because of my family, and I really love my life, house, and land here. My dogs are flexible travelers, they would always go with. :)

rose
10-12-12, 9:08pm
Interesting question and enjoying the responses. I did not renew my annual lease on the condo I've rented the last three years. I asked myself if I wanted next year to look the same as last when I was thinking about renewing my lease. Even though I lived in a great little condo and had lots of community activities I enjoyed, I am ready for change. Gave up my lease. I'm now cat-sitting for a couple of months in a large city. Then will be wandering for two reasons: to visit many places in the U.S. and the world that I have on my list and hopefully to find a new home. That new home could be outside the U.S. No job, no husband, no pets...probably the most free I've ever been. I have an adult son who is single so no grandkids. Might have to work on talking my son to move near where I end up. I want to be near water, prefer temperate weather at least warmer than where I've been livng but not too hot, city, a college, etc.

JaneV2.0
10-12-12, 9:26pm
If chez decay were rehabbed and SO lived nearby, life would be pretty sweet.

awakenedsoul
10-12-12, 10:03pm
I would probably live in Vienna Austria, or Carmel by the Sea. I worked in Paris for a year. Hotels were very expensive. I'd also love to explore Oregon and Australia.

I probably will just keep my little cottage and travel. It's cheaper. (Well, depending on the price of gas!)

Mrs-M
10-12-12, 10:05pm
My guess is, yes. Small community, recreation, everything close-by, relaxed, laid-back, true four seasons climate.

Mighty Frugal
10-12-12, 10:52pm
With no obligations, with a wave of a magic wand you would find me nestled n a small thatched roof cottage in the south of England-one of those darling little villages in the new forest close to Southhampton. It would have a high street where I would shop daily, I would roam the fields and feed the New Forest ponies (even though I mustn't)

I'd have a garden, I'd join some woman's group, sing in a choir and of course name my cottage! sigh....

I vacationed in Southhampton a few times and always wanted to spend the bulk of my time wandering through all these villages-even in my 20s they held more of an appeal for me than London did:)

Sonora Shepherd
10-12-12, 10:59pm
After wandering and fulltiming since 1994 we have finally settled in Florence, Oregon. This is our "terminal home." Perfect climate for us, small town and a great library, good hospital and though we don't shop much, we have what we need here. We tried living in a 399 square foot home (park model) for three years and now are in 1600 square feet which is much more livable for us. Large garage, wood stove and storage. We didn't do well in 399 square feet - too much clutter and not enough storage for prepping or having people over, which we like to do. We are people who like to garden (so we have 1/2 acre), we breed daylilies, we have lots of garden space. We have tried lots of different living styles and this is what we are most comfortable with.

pony mom
10-12-12, 11:08pm
With no obligations, with a wave of a magic wand you would find me nestled n a small thatched roof cottage in the south of England-one of those darling little villages in the new forest close to Southhampton. It would have a high street where I would shop daily, I would roam the fields and feed the New Forest ponies (even though I mustn't)

I'd have a garden, I'd join some woman's group, sing in a choir and of course name my cottage! sigh....

I vacationed in Southhampton a few times and always wanted to spend the bulk of my time wandering through all these villages-even in my 20s they held more of an appeal for me than London did:)

Can I live next door to you? I'd like to live someplace like Midsomer (the TV mystery series, but without all the murders), a small quaint village where I could bicycle everywhere, have nice places to ride my horse and gorgeous views to gaze at through my cozy cottage windows.

And have enough money to spend on theater in London.

Mrs-M
10-12-12, 11:10pm
Originally posted by Pony Mom.
I'd like to live someplace like Midsomer (the TV mystery series, but without all the murders), a small quaint village where I could bicycle everywhere, have nice places to ride my horse and gorgeous views to gaze at through my cozy cottage windows.Me, too... me, too!

Zoebird
10-13-12, 12:24am
well, i don't consider obligations inherently negative, so it's no big deal. I understood what you meant. A lot of people choose to stay near family, and if their family happens to live in the opposite environment of what they want, that's where they stay. They might always dream of living here or there, but instead they live with family. It's the choice that they make.

In my mind, the major point for me was to live where i wanted to live -- rather than be pulled by what my family might want. Likewise, my family moves a lot (my parents anyway) based on where my father gets work that he likes (he's in a job, he gets recruited to a new job where he can earn more, etc) -- they choose income/opportunity over family/location. though, now, my mother doesn't want to move away from "us" (or rather, now, my sister), and so they are less likely to move now.

I just needed to go where we wanted to be, where there were opportunities for us. We narrowed it down to 4 locations, and then narrowed it down to two, and then to one, and here we are.

BayouGirl
10-13-12, 12:44am
Oh wait, I have to amend my statement just a teeny bit. I do love where I live in Louisiana but I do so hate the summer heat. I lived in Alaska before and I would LOVE to spend my summers there. The Louisiana heat just about wilts me every year. Alaska summers are beyond beautiful. Great weather, sunny but not hot, great scenery, sunlight almost 24 hours a day. Yeah, if money is no object, I'll be in Alaska each summer.

Frugalifec
10-13-12, 12:52am
I think I would probably stay here in the PNW. Would like to get back to living in about 600 square feet in a wooded area on a slope with a view of some kind of water. Somewhere close enough to catch public transportation that also had bike paths that would get me into a town. Currently I have an elderly parent to consider as well as rental property that I tend to.

Selah
10-13-12, 2:57am
I'd live exactly where I live now, in exactly the same way.

cdttmm
10-13-12, 3:27pm
Wow, tough question! I would probably live where I live now as I really love this area and love most things about my house. I would probably live a little bit differently in that if I didn't have the job I currently have, I would spend more time riding my bike instead of driving places and I would spend even more time doing outdoor activities. I'd probably also try growing more of our own food -- we've tried and had some success, but if I didn't have the obligation of a job, then I could devote more time to it. And, assuming my partner were keeping his job, which is 3 hours away in NYC, I would probably travel with him so that we could spend more time together. Good question...still not sure my answer is fully thought out so I will have to kick this one around some more!

Polliwog
10-13-12, 4:07pm
The OPs question really gave me pause, since I often think I am in the wrong place. However, the truth is that I am exactly where I should be in my life. I am 68 (can't believe it!), still working part-time and life is good. I have been in my townhouse (1200 sq ft) for over 8 years now - the longest I have ever lived in one place. When I moved here 8 plus years ago, it was because I was very burned out in my legal career, my sister died a week after I moved, and my youngest son had just gotten married and he lives in same city. The hardest part for me was leaving my condo at the beach in Orange County. I had lived near the beach for 30+ years so moving South and inland was a culture shock.

So, long story short, it has taken me this long to accept that where I am is where I need to be - near youngest son, dil, and grandchildren; near my aging father (92) whom I am very close to; being able to work with oldest son. Family is what keeps many of us in a certain place, as has been noted in the other posts.

If I could live anywhere though, it probably would be in Northern California in a liberal, educated setting, e.g., Palo Alto. So intellectually stimulating and beautiful weather.

In many ways, I can duplicate what I need and want right where I am, by choosing friends, attending lectures, and seeking out stimulating activities. It has really helped me to think this way rather than having the push-pull negative thoughts that occur when I feel like I am not where I am supposed to be.

By reading through the posts, it appears that many of us would not change where we are planted. We "bloom" where we are. It reminds me of the saying: "Wherever I go, there I am" (or something like that). We are still going to be who we are, no matter where we end up. So, I choose to embrace who I am, no matter where I am.:)

Bill
10-13-12, 5:11pm
When I was younger I dreamed of living in the mountians. Didn't happen.

I live in a great area with 4 seasons and a strong economy. My my son and daughter and their families live in the same area. I love spending time with my grandkids so all in all I will most likely stay in this area. But if I could afford it I would buy land in the rolling countryside nearby and build a small house and barn. I would have enough acerage so my son and daughter and their families could also build homes on the property. I'd have dogs and horses to ride with my grandsons. I'd also have a small motorhome and travel to every national park that can be driven to. Now if I could just win the lottery!

Mighty Frugal
10-13-12, 5:15pm
Can I live next door to you? I'd like to live someplace like Midsomer (the TV mystery series, but without all the murders), a small quaint village where I could bicycle everywhere, have nice places to ride my horse and gorgeous views to gaze at through my cozy cottage windows.

Yes you can live next door providing you let me ride your horse once in a while!

rosarugosa
10-13-12, 8:37pm
I've always thought I would like to live in a slightly more rural part of New England, but now that I've discovered the great wild areas so close to home, I think I might have the best of all possible worlds right here. The only place I can imagine moving to would be southern Maine, in or near Portland.

Mrs-M
10-13-12, 8:39pm
Originally Posted by pony mom

Originally posted by Mighty Frugal.
Yes you can live next door providing you let me ride your horse once in a while!Don't do it, Pony Mom! Soon, Mighty Frugal, will be looking to rook you out of all of your chocolate, too! LOL!

Tradd
10-13-12, 9:31pm
I like where I am (Chicago area). Since I'm single without kids and moved here to put some distance between myself and family, it's worked out great. There are a few things I'm not particularly fond of here, such as the cost of living, the firearms laws, and traffic, but it works out pretty well.

Jilly
10-13-12, 10:00pm
I recently moved from rural to a small flat right downtown in a city. I like it here. It is close to my jobs (retired and volunteering, but I still work hard), and will become more frugal when I learn the public transit system.

I kind of like it here. I live on the main street. It is busy like I never expected, but I like that as well. I can see myself living here for a very long time.

That said, my preference is a place in the middle of practically-no-where. Gardens. Orchards. Large and small animals, especially chickens and goats. Lots of cats and a few dogs. Two cows (one might feel lonely). All the time I need to sow, grow, harvest, preserve. A cozy house, snug. In the woods. With a nice stream or small river. Isolated. Secure. Electric fences and lots of generators and fuel. To make it more difficult for the zombies to stumble across me.

RosieTR
10-13-12, 11:39pm
I think the only thing I would change is that if I could wave a magic wand I would move my job closer to my house. But I *love* living near enough to the mountains to see them every day. I see Longs Peak every single day that it's not shrouded in clouds! And to me, that's pretty amazing, every single day I see it. Today, for example, was a fantastic sunrise that turned all the mountains pink and there was a skiff of new snow on the high peaks and really, it nearly brought tears to my eyes it was so beautiful. So yeah, I would live here even if I didn't really have other considerations like family and friends nearby. I've lived in a few other places which has been enough to make me truly appreciate living where I do now, even though it's about 10 miles from where I was born.

Blackdog Lin
10-14-12, 7:25am
I have grown and thrived where I was planted in Kansas, been here in my small hometown since I was five years old (50 years. oh my), and can't really imagine wanting to ever live anywhere else.

But as a dream: a cottage right on the beach. The location would be somewhere with 4 seasons. The cottage would be charming, quirky and eclectic, but with all the amenities I needed. It would have gardening/growing areas. It would be off by itself, but have neighbors down the way, and would be within bicycle distance of a small village which would be charming and have just enough shopping possibilities to get by. I would go to sleep and awake to the sound of the waves, I would sit on the front porch watching storms, I would take daily beachcombing walks, and I would always look like a Medusa-hag with the wind blowing my hair all everyways. Maybe I would enjoy cultivating a local reputation as "that crazy old hermit lady who lives in that beach shack".

katieb12
10-14-12, 10:43am
I've always thought I would like to live in a slightly more rural part of New England, but now that I've discovered the great wild areas so close to home, I think I might have the best of all possible worlds right here. The only place I can imagine moving to would be southern Maine, in or near Portland.

Yes. Small town in Southern Maine really appeals to me. (I'm in CT but spend a fair amount of time in Maine.)

But regardless of where it is, I want a walkable, multi-use area with coffee shop, library, deli, residences, street life, greenery. <sigh> Maybe when I retire.

Gardenarian
10-17-12, 7:32pm
If I didn't have to take anyone else in to account (or work) I would live at my cabin in the Santa Cruz mountains all the time. I just love the place and the old hippie community, the weather, the wildlife, the silence - everything.

I'm going to try and insert a photo of the little pond at the cabin here, hope it works!:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/readaboutit/oldpond.jpg

ToomuchStuff
10-18-12, 12:28pm
To be perfectly honest, no clue. I haven't had others lives, although I have learned from them. I have never really traveled or had the time and money to vacation. Not enough experience to make a judgement of what I would do, other then make the best of whatever situation I was in.

Mrs-M
10-18-12, 12:30pm
Gardenarian. I LOVE the setting, particularly the statue!

SimplyL
10-18-12, 2:43pm
If we didn't have the military or my current health, as a factor, I'd like to be in Australia (Adelaide or somewhere within the vicinity). My husband spent some time in Australia and really felt like it was a good fit for the lifestyle that we strive for. I also like the village concept. I most enjoy the lifestyle that brings community with access to nature. Everything you need right within proximity yet if you wanted big city, you could daytrip to it. Slow pace, people that enjoy their coffees or tea in the afternoon, like to BBQ with neighbors on the weekend.. We have some elements of this where we are now and a church home (which brings a sense of community). If I could find something like that in the States, that would also be great! With that said, where we are now is overall a predominantly high consumption, high strung community. People don't relax. They're more superficial and into the 'What is it that you 'Do'' vs. wanting to get to know someone's spiritual nature, background, interests.. things that really matter, aside from how much they earn, what do you have in the garage.

As far as what type of house. Me. Ideally. I'd love a village cobblestone type house. Bright, airy, one floor with a walk up to a rooftop patio and a garden in the back. It would have a small yet airy kitchen with no upper cabinets but exposed shelving. Hmmm, what else? A large tub for warm baths, storage for our bikes. The kids would have a room each yet just what they need with a window each. It would fall to approx 800 square feet, hsuband would have a small shed in the back with electric for woodworking projects.

I've actually spent a lot of time thinking on this. When we were working on our shed/house (465 sqft) and deciding what feautres we wanted. We love the property and being out in the country, when we're not having to be out here in suburbia.

However, my heart is really desiring a living on the outskirts of a village. Hmm, when husband retires, we may have to expat overseas or relocate within the states. So, maybe I will have my opportunity while the children are still school aged. :)

Great thought provoking, thread.

Spartana
10-25-12, 1:38pm
I guess, since I'm the OP, I should say what I would do. I'd probably do what I had originally planned and prepared for once my pets were gone. And that was to get rid of everything I own and travel - grundgy backpacker style - around the world for a few years. Stay several months or longer in some areas, rent an apt in various parts of the world (in Paris of course :-)!) and live like a local before moving on to the next place...or not if I loved it. Unfortunately, shortley after the last of my 6 rescue pets died and after I had sold my house to begin my adventure (retired very early at 42), I inherieted 2 more dogs and was unable to find homes for them (one had since passed away). So now I am TRYING to find a way to travel with "The Barkinator" - my yappy little dog - on road trips. So far I haven't been too successful but will keep trying - or just leave the dog with my sister and do shorter trips alone. So now I am renting a furhnished vacation home in a resort area part of the year and plan to still travel the other part of the year. Not as unencumbered as I'd like but it's a happy compromise.

Gardenarian
10-25-12, 2:37pm
I had a bad day at work on Tuesday and when I came home I felt so good just getting into our neighborhood. I felt myself surrounded by caring, knowing that in every home was a family that really cared about me. So I'm changing my preference - I think where I am is probably where I am meant to be right now, despite the noise and congestion. The cabin is great to have as a getaway, and maybe someday I'll live there - but for now, home is where the heart is and my heart is at home!
Spartana - if you're interested in traveling to the SF bay area shoot me a PM - my cabin is dog friendly and very cheap to rent (to friends :-)

Spartana
10-25-12, 3:01pm
I had a bad day at work on Tuesday and when I came home I felt so good just getting into our neighborhood. I felt myself surrounded by caring, knowing that in every home was a family that really cared about me. So I'm changing my preference - I think where I am is probably where I am meant to be right now, despite the noise and congestion. The cabin is great to have as a getaway, and maybe someday I'll live there - but for now, home is where the heart is and my heart is at home!
Spartana - if you're interested in traveling to the SF bay area shoot me a PM - my cabin is dog friendly and very cheap to rent (to friends :-)

Hey Thanks but I have a cousin (my "favorite" cousin) who lives year round in a cabin in Tahoe Vista by the lake and another friend who lives in Santa Rosa so I usually stay at one of their homes. But it's nice to know I have another option!

Stella
10-25-12, 3:03pm
Gardenarian, that is lovely.

MamaM
3-4-13, 11:53am
Small apartment in Paris or Italy with a small 1/2 bedroom with a single bath cottage near the beach, little fenced in yard for the dog and a vegetable garden in Corpus. The second dream is what I am working on to become reality. :)

Tussiemussies
3-4-13, 12:49pm
I'm really happy with where we live now, we had moved to another state at one point and the culture in the area was just not for us...we are definitely New Jersey people and I love the little plots of woods we live in now. Plus I love this house too. :)

Greg44
3-12-13, 12:28am
Small flat near the beach, warm climate, perhaps Mazatlan Mexico. The wet, cloudy weather in Oregon gets too depressing during the long wet months. I need the sunshine and heat.

Zoebird
3-12-13, 2:46am
I suppose I don't feel that any of the circumstances of my life hold me back from living how I want to and where I want to. I suppose it would be nicer if our "digs" were a little more modern and/or efficiently designed, and we'd love to have a rural home as well which would be cool.

I'd like my business to be bigger. :D But, I'm making that happen so no worries. :D

larknm
3-12-13, 11:01am
Fantasy material: I'd like to live in a paid-off house, or an RV that gets great mileage. Dh and dogs and bird and would be able to travel to any country we wanted and tromp around. We could get physician-assisted death if we needed it, and most of all we would have enough water falling from the sky to have great gardens (he flowers, me vegetables) in raised beds (neither can bend over for a long time anymore). Beach or creek would be nice--we had a creek across the road from our land but it dried up. Always a shower with at least warm water. Friends. Maybe a country (if such exists) where I think the politics aren't at anybody's expense.

kitten
3-12-13, 12:12pm
I love water - so does hubby and my MIL. The condo she lives in is what we bought for ourselves when we were in Portland, Oregon. It's kind of a rough neighborhood (we didn't know at the time that she would ever be living in it), and she came from a big gracious house on the historical register - she also had a huge yard with gorgeous trees, and lots of room for her critters. It's been a hard transition for her, to be living in a tiny place in a busy part of town that isn't super safe. And no room for a garden.

I've been trying to think of a way to get all three of us resituated to the Oregon coast. My MIL is only ever happy at the beach, but she can only afford to go once a year. It seems a shame! Property is spendy there but it's cheap to rent, so hubby and I are trying to figure it out.

I have a couple of freelance projects going that might take off, and if they do we might be able to live anywhere. But I'd be supporting all of us, unless hubby could find a job - the coastal economy is pretty awful and has been for years.

The other thing about Lincoln City specifically (which is where my MIL wants to be) is that it's really, well, strange culturally. My hubby and I were walking together in one of the neighbhorhoods, just strolling and looking at houses. Suddenly this guy looked out of his window and started screaming at us. Backstory: Hubby and I are about the same height, and he has a full head of natural red hair. We get a lot of "Hi, ladies!" in the stores, when people see us from behind. I figured the nutty guy in the window thought we were female lovers holding hands [quel horreur!]. You get a feeling this might not be such an enlightened place to be living full-time...

It's a split society. People who've lived on the coast since they were born, and still live and work there, are one segment. The affluent people who buy second homes are another subculture. As renters living on the cheap, we would probably be thrown in more with the paranoid "yer not from around here, are ye" folks than anyone closer to our own background and mindset. We don't really belong to either crowd, so we're wondering to what extent fitting in would be an issue.

Lots of drug use there too, we've heard...

Breathtakingly beautiful place to be, though, in terms of the natural surroundings.

sweetana3
3-12-13, 12:35pm
It is an important consideration and unfortunately an issue in such areas. The locals are hammered by the affluent part timers or those who stroll in and buy anything they want. Prices go up and often local business is thrown out for the "pretty stores". Real estate becomes more and more unaffordable for those who have grown up their and their children.

We had little bits of this issue in NC where the affluent newcomers were horrified by the furniture the locals sometimes put on their front porches. It did not matter that a lot of life was lived on the front porch or that they would get waves and hellos. The newcomers did not like the "look" and said it affected their property values. I wish they had more interest in the history and the people involved.

You have to decide if there is more than natural beauty to support you and your families lives. I would visit and explore the groups and activities. Just because they have a particular group does not mean it is accepting or welcoming of newcomers and this works for both sides of the divide.

JaneV2.0
3-12-13, 2:14pm
You might look further up the coast--like Cannon Beach, where there is (or used to be) a small arts colony. My uncle used to manage KAST in Astoria, but he's long gone, so I can't ask him to hire y'all...:~)