PDA

View Full Version : New hero?

razz
10-15-12, 9:51pm
It seems that the media loves heroic figures of all kinds. I like the kind that work and pay the real cost to achieve something unique.
This guy seems to qualify but not too much is being said about him in our media. He broke the sounds barrier in a free fall after floating up in a balloon with the thickness of a grabage bag in one report, I read. Amazing fellow.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2012/10/14/skydive-new-mexico-baumgartner.html

Quote:
Baumgartner, 43, had been training for five years for the jump, during which he was expected to be in a free fall for some five minutes before opening a parachute at 5,000 feet above ground. However, he opened his chute around the 4:18 mark.

Mrs-M
10-15-12, 10:42pm
Spectacular on all levels! Too bad there isn't any "live time footage" of the jump, where commoners like ourselves could witness and enjoy a little of what it was like to pull-off such a feat.

SteveinMN
10-15-12, 10:52pm
Mrs-M, there were many cameras set up on the balloon, on him, and on the ground. I'm guessing they're taking some time to edit all the "footage" and then we'll be able to watch the whole thing. I caught the last minute or two on the time-delayed Web stream; I'd love to see the rest of it. It's quite an accomplishment and a record which I think will stand for some time.

Wildflower
10-15-12, 10:58pm
My DD and DGD watched it LIVE yesterday on the internet. They were very impressed!!! I also saw a report on it on the national news this evening, but not much otherwise. Wonder why?

pony mom
10-16-12, 12:03am
That was so amazing! Who would even imagine that something like that could be done? And be crazy enought to try it!

lhamo
10-16-12, 12:09am
My son was fascinated with the news reports on this yesterday. And somehow we keep running across shows about basejumping on TV. He's already asked when I will take him skydiving. Eeek!

lhamo

Tussiemussies
10-16-12, 12:33am
Wow, is that ever an amazing physical feat. I wonder what he experienced when he was going down? You would think it would be just impossible, but it sounds like they were so well prepared...

Weston
10-16-12, 8:30am
It seems that the media loves heroic figures of all kinds. I like the kind that work and pay the real cost to achieve something unique.
This guy seems to qualify but not too much is being said about him in our media. He broke the sounds barrier in a free fall after floating up in a balloon with the thickness of a grabage bag in one report, I read. Amazing fellow.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2012/10/14/skydive-new-mexico-baumgartner.html

Quote:
Baumgartner, 43, had been training for five years for the jump, during which he was expected to be in a free fall for some five minutes before opening a parachute at 5,000 feet above ground. However, he opened his chute around the 4:18 mark.

Had to double check to see where you were living since down here it's been next to impossible to escape the story. Again, from my perspective I'm not sure what qualifies this man to be a hero. He has tremendous skill and courage but I'm unable to determine how he has improved society or saved a life or took this risk in the interest of the public good. Basically it was just an enormously intricate and expensive publicity stunt for Red Bull.

Really got to admire his guts however.

Gregg
10-16-12, 8:50am
He did what he did for publicity, fame and fortune. I'm sure there will be an HBO special or DVD's for sale or whatever. And you know what? That's ok. I personally also think a hero is someone who does something to benefit others and I'm not sure this guy passes the litmus test on that one, but that doesn't mean what he accomplished isn't just cool as ****.

peggy
10-16-12, 8:58am
Had to double check to see where you were living since down here it's been next to impossible to escape the story. Again, from my perspective I'm not sure what qualifies this man to be a hero. He has tremendous skill and courage but I'm unable to determine how he has improved society or saved a life or took this risk in the interest of the public good. Basically it was just an enormously intricate and expensive publicity stunt for Red Bull.

Really got to admire his guts however.

I"m with you Weston. Quite an amazing jump, but not really heroic. I kind of see it as the next level up from jumping out of a helicopter onto a mountain top to ski down. Or jumping out of a hot air balloon. Basically a rich guy looking for the next thrill! I just kept thinking of this guys poor mother! I'm sure she is wondering what way will he try to kill himself now!
At one point he was going 800-something miles an hour! If he had died, the media would have been asking 'what was the point?' I still ask that. Now, breaking the sound barrier in a jet, that I could see the point!

pinkytoe
10-16-12, 10:41am
I read on Forbes that he has a multi-billion dollar set with Red Bull.

JaneV2.0
10-16-12, 11:07am
BASE jumping? I didn't think much about it until I watched Twenty Seconds of Joy, in which Karina Hollekim explains her love of the "sport." She relates that her mentor warned her if she persisted in it she would either die or see her friends die (or words to that effect), and she nearly did, breaking countless bones in her body and spending a year or so in hospital recuperating from a spectacularly failed jump. Talk about a wanton waste of health care resources.

I presume that in the case of Super Sonic Guy (not technically a BASE jumper), Red Bull would have paid the tab. I hope his stunt was in some way useful scientifically; can't say I've watched any coverage of it.

Mrs-M
10-16-12, 11:26am
Originally posted by SteveinMN.
there were many cameras set up on the balloon, on him, and on the ground. I'm guessing they're taking some time to edit all the "footage" and then we'll be able to watch the whole thing.Fantastic! Can't wait for that! Thanks for the scoop!

CathyA
10-16-12, 11:48am
I have a really stupid "science" question. I thought when you went faster than the speed of sound, you would make a sonic boom. Is that only with airplanes going a certain mph?

Gregg
10-16-12, 12:00pm
Link to the jump footage on youtube. Pretty crazy to watch him tumble at 600 mph about a minute into the jump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4nJF9JFleI

Gingerella72
10-16-12, 12:28pm
Publicity stunt or not, it still generated important scientific data.

"While the jump was spectacle enough on its own, it also could have important implications for spaceflight.
The 100-pound pressurized flight suit and helmet Baumgartner wore to survive the lethally thin atmosphere and intense cold of near-space could also help save the lives of astronauts forced to bail out of a malfunctioning rocket on its way to space."

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/14/us/skydiver-record-attempt/index.html

ToomuchStuff
10-16-12, 1:58pm
This had been done before, but not to the limit (height) he went. He supposedly opened his chute at the time he did, to keep the record of the previous jumper intact (the prior jumper came out of retirement to help him). Another reason may have been the visor either fogging or freezing over. Yes this does have Nasa/space ship evacuation aspect, although a lot less until something replaces the shuttle (as the capsules we are returning in don't really have the space for the evacuation equipment). Even then I expect someone would die, as we don't seem to trust remote or robotic vehicle operation, like the Russians did, with their space shuttle (one flight wonder, completely successful, automated flight and landing, but they determined too expensive for them).

This has scientific value and actually brings us closer to science fiction (Doctor Who's last Christmas episode, almost the only tv I watch), but has NO heroic value, IMHO. (and has been ALL over the news/web)

Dhiana
10-16-12, 11:27pm
I have a really stupid "science" question. I thought when you went faster than the speed of sound, you would make a sonic boom. Is that only with airplanes going a certain mph?

That was one of my questions too...It turns out that the air is so thin up there where he did break the sound barrier that there wasn't the sonic boom we normally hear when airplanes do it.

Dhiana
10-16-12, 11:42pm
It takes a lot of guts and a lot of support from both family and money to do what this man did. While his scientific achievements may not be seen immediately, it is the kind of thing that makes a lot of things in the future better and possible. So many ideas, actions and achievements are only seen as amazing until they reach us personally.

I think we may be able to see more behind the scenes footage & answers to our questions on the Discovery Channel. Showing it live on its channel was a huge hit so I wouldn't be surprised if they did a followup with more info.

Our population is going to continue to grow and space may be the only option for the human race to go...while he didn't technicaly save a life when he jumped, the scientific achievements made by his success will very likely save someone or many in the future.

Spartana
10-25-12, 10:54pm
I saw this guy do his jump and thought it was spectacular - no other word to describe it. And while I don't consider him a "hero" (I leave that label to the people who willingly put themselves in danger to help others with nothing to gain for themselves) I do consider what he did monumental.