PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a biodegradable gel dishwasher detergent?

Tussiemussies
10-21-12, 5:33am
I looked around, 7th generation's new powder formula got very bad reviews. I am looking for a gel biodegradable dishwasher detergent...any advice? Thank you.

Rosemary
10-21-12, 7:27am
I use Trader Joe's powdered detergent. I think that dry detergents are going to be the most environmentally-friendly as they weigh less overall (not mixed with water) for shipping/transport. I've also used Seventh Generation in the past with no issues. Why not try it instead of believing reviews? A lot depends on how you use your dishwasher. Speaking of dishwashers and the environment, in a Cooks Illustrated email I received this week, they gave a very positive review to an item called the "dish squeegee" which they said cleaned dishes almost as well as water in preparation for the dishwasher.

Tussiemussies
10-21-12, 7:32am
Thanks Rosemary, I do wish that we had a Trader Joe's near here but we are not so lucky. I did find an alternative biodegradable dishwasher detergent by Grab Green Home, which seems expensive but it will be my one big expense as all of my other homemade cleaners will be cheap.

http://www.grabgreenhome.com/dishwasher-detergent_c_25.html

Thanks for your advice... Christine

Rosemary
10-21-12, 7:38am
Have you looked up how to make dishwasher detergent? If I recall correctly, the key ingredient is washing soda, and then some baking soda is added. Some recipes use borax but I would not use that on food surfaces. Anyway, my point is that this might be less costly than buying some brands. It works out to cost the same per load as the TJ's detergent I buy, so I save myself the effort involved in sourcing the washing soda and mixing it up.

catherine
10-21-12, 8:39am
Well I have been a Melaleuca customer in the past, and they claim to be eco-friendly, although I can't swear that's true. I really like the Melaleuca products, but you have to sign up for a certain level of purchasing to get the best price, and they're expensive anyway. However, I've noticed that the products really are gentler than typical cleaners, but work as well. I like their dishwashing detergent--if I could be sure it's safer and biodegradable, I'd probably go out of my way to buy it.

However, I just suspended my membership because I had to buy too much stuff. I will miss a few of their products.

The NDRC has this cool app (http://www.nrdc.org/living/labels/cleaning.asp) for navigating through the maze of environmentally-friendly claims: