PDA

View Full Version : What are the Halloween customs where you are?

Tiam
10-30-12, 11:33pm
I read something in the Guardian (it was 2007) explaining the US custom of "trick or treat" which surprised me. What is the custom in the UK and other countries?

Gardenarian
10-31-12, 3:05pm
I've heard that trick-or-treat is picking up in the UK. They also have bonfire day (Guy Fawkes) on Nov. 5, which sounds like a blast.

Tiam
11-1-12, 1:53am
Here' it's trick or treating and haunted houses. The non religious have their harvest festivals. Of course some folks have private parties and some organizations put on 'parties' but they are more like old school carnivals with nothing paricularly spooky or archetypal about them.

Tiam
11-1-12, 11:09pm
What exactly happens on Guy Fawkes day?

Mighty Frugal
11-2-12, 10:30pm
What exactly happens on Guy Fawkes day?

they set off fireworks..and drink

Zoebird
11-2-12, 10:41pm
Our neighborhood had halloween. it's very sweet really. there are some good costumes, but most of them are pretty random. my favorites are people dressing up as other nationalities. it's very funny.

RosieTR
11-16-12, 11:08pm
they set off fireworks..and drink

Ha ha, the US has that, but in July.

Mrs-M
11-23-12, 5:50pm
No real customs other than trick-or-treating, but we're going to start a family custom just as soon as our youngest two outgrow Halloweening. We'd like to start planning Halloween night around a fire, out in the middle of nowhere. Food, snacks, drink, and spooky tales and stories. Will be such a fun change from the ordinary.