PDA

View Full Version : Ankle Update (take 2)

Float On
11-1-12, 9:36pm
Sept 5: car accident
bedrest 3 weeks to avoid surgery
cast for 5 weeks
TODAY Nov 1st: cast removed and fitted for an air walking boot!!!!
Good grief this thing is huge and bulky and I'm afraid I'll trip on it but I think it's progress. Got lectured again by the ortho that "we always do surgery on this kind of break so take it easy" and then when I went to the other office to get fitted for a boot that tech said "how did you not have surgery for that kind of break?"
NEW GOAL: light touch weight with boot while using a walker. PT for 4 weeks working up to full weight bearing.
Hopefully in 4 weeks I can lose the walker.
Meanwhile: they said to expect pain and swelling again while adjusting to life without a cast and I'd say that is true.

And I have to say, it was so nice to wash and shave my leg this afternoon. And I'm using lots of lotion to try to get rid of all the peeling skin on my foot - ick.

Valley
11-1-12, 9:40pm
Keep On...Float On! Seriously, this is good news.

Selah
11-2-12, 2:15am
Put your best foot forward, Float On! :) Glad you're on the mend. My friend had a serious ankle injury and it sounds like you are doing very well. Hers was not diagnosed correctly so she was walking on it the entire time, doing 12 hour standing shifts at her job in a cave! I'm REALLY glad you're getting the medical treatment you need and have access to PT. Good luck!

CathyA
11-2-12, 6:44am
Glad things are progressing for you Float On. Did the most recent xray show that its healing properly?

Float On
11-2-12, 7:43am
Yes, yesterday's x-ray showed improvement or they still would of sent me to surgery.