PDA

View Full Version : Undergarment Recommendations?

nordette
11-5-12, 12:48am
Hello all,

I learned about smartwool socks through these forums and was hoping you could provide recs on quality undergarments (underwear for men/women, under t-shirts for men, bras for women) that are long lasting (ideally made in U.S.) and that you love.

Hoping to go on a no spending challenge for 2013 and hope to get some essential purchases out of the way first.

bae
11-5-12, 1:36am
I wear Thorlo socks, and kilts....

Dhiana
11-5-12, 2:04am
I really like the quality of ExOfficio brand. They have several women's styles and men's also.

Yes, they are expensive but the fact that they don't fall apart like so many other pairs I've purchased makes them totally worth it.
http://www.rei.com/search?search=underwear&jxBrand=ExOfficio&hist=query%2Cunderwear%5EjxBrand%2CExOfficio

redfox
11-5-12, 3:57am
Decent Exposures for bras. Seattle made!

herbgeek
11-5-12, 6:24am
I like Victoria Secret for cotton underwear. Only slightly more expensive than, say, JC Penney, but they last much much longer. I felt I was too "floppy" in Decent Exposures bras. Ok for around the house and yard, but not for business wear unless I know I won't be taking my blazer off.

Tradd
11-5-12, 8:09am
Well, for bras, if you have a lot to hold up, Wacoal. Expensive ($60/bra on average), but well worth it. Not made in US, however.

Stacy
11-5-12, 9:00pm
Decent Exposures for bras. Seattle made!

I second that. And underwear, too. So comfy and long-lasting. And you can choose organic cotton. I buy them through their website.

iris lily
11-5-12, 9:23pm
I breezed through the ghetto Goodwill recently and saw a whole buncha Spanx-like garments hanging there, new from the store. They had tags on them.

Had I not discussed "Spanx" with my young friend, honest to god, I woulda thought they were from grandma's era.

boss mare
11-5-12, 10:21pm
I breezed through the ghetto Goodwill recently and saw a whole buncha Spanx-like garments hanging there, new from the store. They had tags on them.

Had I not discussed "Spanx" with my young friend, honest to god, I woulda thought they were from grandma's era.

LOL Discovering Spanx, Flexxees and the Wacoal camisoles was a life changing experience :cool:
Love wording on the hang-tag on the Wacoal cami " Hope On A Hanger" !Splat!

pony mom
11-6-12, 9:54pm
I like my new Genie Bra, but it's made in China.

Catwoman
11-14-12, 10:01pm
This summer I developed an allergy to spandex/elastic and I had to special order 100% cotton, hypoallergenic bras, I ordered from www.faeriesdance.com and they are great!! Comfortable, well-fitting and last well if you hang to dry.

JaneV2.0
11-15-12, 9:39am
For cheap and serviceable, sturdy and comfortable, I'd go with Playtex 18-hour.

dado potato
11-16-12, 5:13pm
Another vote for Ex Officio socks.

My dear wife loves Spanx, and (unfortunately) I looked them up once upon a time on a search engine. Now whenever I look at my email I have to look at pictures of models wearing Spanx on the side. (Woe is me, LOL)

nordette
11-19-12, 1:34pm
Thanks everyone for the recs. I have purchased from Decent Exposure in the past. They are long lasting (I have a few pairs), but they also look and feel very much like granny style to me and totally unsexy. Also not to be all TMI, but the bras don't cut it especially if you don't want to distract people because of sudden bursts of chilliness overpowering your body (if you know what I mean, and I'll assume you do) when you are wearing sheer-type tops.

I try to avoid spanx only because not owning it forces me to work out and keep my body in shape.

Also want to mention that I learned about Dansko through these boards and I am a very happy Dansko user.

I'm not totally opposed to foreign made stuff, but figured I'd work my way outward. Price is not an object if the item is well made and built to last.

mtnlaurel
11-28-12, 11:24am
I really like the quality of ExOfficio brand. They have several women's styles and men's also.

Yes, they are expensive but the fact that they don't fall apart like so many other pairs I've purchased makes them totally worth it.
http://www.rei.com/search?search=underwear&jxBrand=ExOfficio&hist=query%2Cunderwear%5EjxBrand%2CExOfficio

This came across my path today....
ExOfficio undies 25% off at backwoods.com
http://gear.backwoods.com/free-shipping/Category-Baselayers/Brand-ExOfficio/Price-under_$30/Department-Clothing/res_per_page-24/sort_by_field-Popularity
I still feel like I'd have to rob a bank to buy some though, but the 25% off might be the tipping point for someone else.

Edit to Add: I like the Hanes 'Comfort Waist' undies, sadly it's hard to find the 3-pack neutral colors in my size. I did however find some closeouts on eBay and was thrilled!

pinkytoe
11-28-12, 1:01pm
I think wintersilks.com undies are made in USA unless they have changed.