PDA

View Full Version : my Scandinavian film festival

iris lily
11-17-12, 2:03pm
While I'm an sick and tired of US films at the moment (even the independents) I've been on a jag of viewing Scandinavian contemporary films. I may have posted about this prior, but I don't think I've given a comprehensive list. So for your edification haha here's a list of contemporary Scandinavian films (No Bergman) that I've watched over the past year and have enjoyed. These are not arty films, I won't push arty films on anyone!!! They are films about men and women and their problems and especially, their family relationships.

In a Better World
Boys and men confront bullies and personal violent behavior

The Celebration
A Danish family gathers to celebrate the birthday of the family patriarch and a shocking revelation spoils the party. This one is heavy.

After The Wedding
Another Danish films about a well-to-do married couple and shows how how her previous relationship colors their current life and future life. One very amazing performance in it and overall, a nice and thoughtful film but not great revelations (other than that performance.)

Everlasting Moments
A film buddy of mine recommended this one. It's about a woman in turn of the century Sweden who becomes interested in photography. But she's got an abusive husband and a house full of children, and has to persevere to earn herself a little ray of artistic opportunity.

The Girl
About a young girl who is left on her own one summer when her do-gooding parents jet off to Africa and leave her in the care of an unreliable relative. Very slow moving but lovely for providing a glimpse of real life in a small town in Sweden. Since I will never go there (have no interest in using my travel money to see the Scandinavian countries) this film provides a real slice of life.

Troubled Water
Norwegian film (yet there are those Danish actors!) about a young man who is released from prison after committing a terrible crime.

Let the Right One In
This film is on my personal Top Ten list. It's a vampire film, best vampire film ever.

Honorary mention: It's not Scandinavian, it is Russian.

The Thief
About a young boy and his mother who, in post WWI times, meet up with a handsome and charming grifter.

I think this completes my year of Scandinavian films. There are a few I watched that I thought were not very good and did not make this list. And then, there were two in a row that I got form Netflix that didn't work on my machine so I have to wonder if they were for the correct region.

Oops wait--I still have these in my netflix que:

Kitchen Stories
Happy Happy
Song for Martin

rodeosweetheart
11-17-12, 2:17pm
Have you seen Kitchen Stories? It's wonderful, and has the coolest teardrop rv of all time.

iris lily
11-17-12, 2:28pm
Have you seen Kitchen Stories? It's wonderful, and has the coolest teardrop rv of all time.

Just added to my netflix que, at the top!

Spartana
11-17-12, 6:24pm
Does Pippi Longstocking count? Does anything with Viggo Mortesen count? Does the Scandinavian cooking shows I watch("How to prepare Lukefisk 100 different ways") count? Does watching the Swedish Nation Hockey team play count? How abot Canada vs. Sweden Curling count? probably not :-)!

I think the only Scandinavian film I've watched is "Let The Right One In" about a girl vampire. Also seen the US version whic I liked better. Will check out the ones you mentioned once I get netflixs.

And I do watch the Val Viteren (how ever it's spelled) show on PBS with english subtitles. Also "The Girl with the.... " many other things besides a Dragon Tatto movies from Sweden - also with english subtitles.

iris lily
11-17-12, 6:35pm
Does Pippi Longstocking count? Does anything with Viggo Mortesen count? Does the Scandinavian cooking shows I watch("How to prepare Lukefisk 100 different ways") count? Does watching the Swedish Nation Hockey team play count? How abot Canada vs. Sweden Curling count? probably not :-)!

I think the only Scandinavian film I've watched is "Let The Right One In" about a girl vampire. Also seen the US version which I liked better. Will check out the ones you mentioned once I get netflixs.

And I do watch the Val Viteren (how ever it's spelled) show on PBS with english subtitles. Also "The Girl with the.... " many other things besides a Dragon Tatto movies from Sweden - also with english subtitles.

yay you saw both LEt the Right One IN in vampire movies, So did I!

The American version was pretty good. It really was decent.

But the Swedish version beat it in creepiness a bit. The American version starred a beautiful teen, Chloe whatsherame and she is a current rising teen star in H-wood. The Swedish version had the as the actor playing the boy/girl someone who was more neuter.

I skipped all of The Girl with The... books and films, have no interest.

Zoe Girl
11-17-12, 10:24pm
Ooh I am going to check out those films. I did see the new Bond and it was the best one yet but other than that I am tired of US films as well. I am danish descent so the Scandinavian films are very interesting to me.

My fave is Babette's feast, i get so hungry watching it but there is so much more.

bae
11-17-12, 10:51pm
For fun, check out the short series "Lilyhammer".

Float On
11-18-12, 12:25am
I really liked "Lilyhammer". I think I still have a few episodes to go.

Dhiana
11-18-12, 4:27am
My husband and I rented "Headhunters" 2011, via iTunes. A Norwegian film about a short headhunter with a tall model wife trying to steal a painting to pay for his rich lifestyle. Starring Acksel Hennie, it reminded me of Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels.

CathyA
11-18-12, 8:43am
I think we're going to have to start to get Netflix. We don't have access to these kinds of movies.
Back in my younger years, I was really into Ingmar Bergman films and Liv Ullmann.
I love Babette's Feast and have watched it several times.