PDA

View Full Version : NYC - How to get on top of a bldg. for cheap or free

mtnlaurel
11-18-12, 6:59am
Any tips on getting on top of an NYC bldg for cheap or free?

There is a group of 10 of us - half grown ups, half small kids (age 4-9) and we want a skyscraper view w/out the high price tag of Empire State or 30 Rock.
Many of them have never been to NYC and it' their big 'nyc trip', but as their tour guide I find Empire State Bldg. a huge hassle and crazy expensive.

Does this exist?

We could have appetizers/drinks at a bldg top restaurant if it weren't too s****y and they would take our motley crew.

Thanks for any ideas.

rosarugosa
11-18-12, 11:00am
I've never been to NYC so I have no suggestions, but I am now utterly preoccupied with playing "Guess the Bad Word."
noot? nobb?

mtnlaurel
11-18-12, 11:55am
I've never been to NYC so I have no suggestions, but I am now utterly preoccupied with playing "Guess the Bad Word."
noot? nobb?

good grief, I think it was 'noot' that I had in there..... I wish I had one of these bleepers in my real life, I am 2 steps away from a sailor on occasion - cursing is one of my guilty vices

Miss Cellane
11-18-12, 12:14pm
When will you be in NYC? There's a roof garden on top of the Metropolitan Museum of Art. You'd have to pay admission to the museum, but I don't think there's an extra charge for the roof garden. Problem is, the garden is closed in the winter, I think.

Everything else I can think of is a bar.

To be honest, if I were going to NYC and it was likely the only time I'd be going, I'd want to go to the top of the Empire State Building, cost and hassle be darned. I'd check with the people you are guiding and see how they feel about it. The first time I went there, it was at night on a weeknight. Not crowded at all, and the city looked very pretty all lit up.

cdttmm
11-18-12, 6:16pm
The only rooftops I visit in NYC are ones with farms on them (Brooklyn Grange rooftop farms in Queens & Brooklyn; Rosemary's in the West Village), so I'm not much help when it comes to the skyscraper view. But I'll ask my rooftop farming friends if they know of any rooftops you can access for free to get an epic view of the city.

mtnlaurel
11-18-12, 7:48pm
The only rooftops I visit in NYC are ones with farms on them (Brooklyn Grange rooftop farms in Queens & Brooklyn; Rosemary's in the West Village), so I'm not much help when it comes to the skyscraper view. But I'll ask my rooftop farming friends if they know of any rooftops you can access for free to get an epic view of the city.

Thank you! That would be amazing. I'll try Googling that too.
One of my in-laws would be VERY into seeing urban gardening.

Miss Cellane, you had asked when.... later this week. (totally running last minute on everything as usual)

Gardenarian
11-19-12, 4:43pm
It's not a skyscraper, but a party on The High Line (http://www.thehighline.org/) would be fun!