PDA

View Full Version : Seattle to build nation's first food forest for all to pick from

Tussiemussies
11-18-12, 12:35pm
Great that this city is going to do this on a large scale and let anyone take what they need:

http://www.takepart.com/article/2012/02/21/its-not-fairytale-seattle-build-nations-first-food-forest

redfox
11-18-12, 12:57pm
It's in process! First trees were planted this fall. This is few miles north of our neighborhood. Very exciting.

Photos here:

http://beaconfoodforest.weebly.com/

Tussiemussies
11-18-12, 1:13pm
It's in process! First trees were planted this fall. This is few miles north of our neighborhood. Very exciting.

Photos here:

http://beaconfoodforest.weebly.com/

Thanks Redfox for posting this, I agree it is very exciting! Maybe some other cities will pick up on this since they can see the model of how it works....

lhamo
11-18-12, 5:15pm
I think the universe is conspiring to get me to move back to Beacon Hill! They have a bilingual Chinese immersion program in one of the elementary schools, and now this. Way cool. I hope this proves to be a model other places adopt.

lhamo

redfox
11-18-12, 5:44pm
Well, Ihamo, that would completely rock!

catherine
11-18-12, 5:48pm
That is great. Makes me want to move to the NW. They already have the Portland Japanese Garden, and now this?? What more could I want?

Maxamillion
11-18-12, 7:23pm
Yeah, the more I hear about the northwest, the more I want to move there. This is great. I really hope other cities will try something like it.

JaneV2.0
11-18-12, 7:33pm
That is great. Makes me want to move to the NW. They already have the Portland Japanese Garden, and now this?? What more could I want?

Powell's City of Books? Orca pods? World-class libraries? Abundant nature? Grimm sightings? Indie everything?

bae
11-18-12, 7:39pm
Powell's City of Books? Orca pods? World-class libraries? Abundant nature? Grimm sightings? Indie everything?

These are all lies. The weather here is horrible year-round. Your clothes will grow moss on the north side. Pollen and mold spawn constantly, there is no escape from allergies. The traffic is hellish, housing is expensive, the food is bland, and cell phone coverage is poor.

You all really should stay where you are now! Trust me.

JaneV2.0
11-18-12, 7:54pm
You're right of course. How quickly I forget my lines...

awakenedsoul
11-18-12, 8:31pm
Beautiful! This is what I've done with my backyard. I'm going on year 16. It takes a while for the fruit trees to mature, but then it's smooth sailing. I think it will be lovely. I've noticed many of my neighbors now have fruit trees and vegetables growing in their front and backyards, too. I think they're just as pretty as ornamentals.

Stella
11-19-12, 1:52pm
Cool! I love that idea.

redfox
11-19-12, 2:44pm
Torrential flooding in neighborhoods right now... It's POURING. Kayak to work weather. Gore-tex will keep you dry for minutes only. 45-52 degrees & grey skies from sunrise at 7:23 till sunset at 4:27 - I kid you not. We get a big ol' 7 hours of barely discerable daylight here this time of year. You move to Seattle & survive your first few winters, you're good. You better learn to love coffee, and lots of it!

Mrs-M
11-20-12, 8:34pm
Out of this world! Gives me hope.

RosieTR
11-29-12, 11:06pm
No worries, Bae and Redfox. I will be staying put: 1000s of mountains and mostly sunny days=me happy! The park edible thing is a great idea though. I have noticed the universities around here have a few cherry and apple trees, and in AZ they had orange and grapefruit. "Our" park (behind our house) has large crabapples but I'm not sure what to do with them. Nobody picks them.

KayLR
11-30-12, 10:05am
Bae! Are you a relative of Tom McCall? LOL!

(context: he was the OR governor who said, "visit, but don't stay.")

Amaranth
11-30-12, 11:12am
Other places which have done similar public food gardens have found that more and more people contribute and more sites are made available in the area. See what Todmorden has done for example.
http://www.incredible-edible-todmorden.co.uk/

redfox
11-30-12, 12:26pm
I drove past this site yesterday... Will try to take some pics soon!

Jill
12-17-12, 2:57pm
Wow. I can't imagine something like that. If they tried that where I live, there would be a swarm like locusts that would glean everything and leave behind nothing but debris and the dead trampled bodies of those who weren't fast enough. It would then become a colossal homeless camp. But then around here, people get up early in the morning to drive around to steal the food left out along the Community Food Bank's donation pickup routes. Glad to know there's a place where people don't act like animals!