PDA

View Full Version : I met a true rifleman...

bae
11-19-12, 3:34pm
I was running the range for my gun club's annual turkey shoot Saturday. We had a few hundred people show up, which was a high number for us, especially considering the appallingly bad weather.

One father brought his 8 year old son. It was the kid's first time shooting, ever. Dad had clearly coached him on theory before arrival, the young lad was very serious and attentive. We loaned them a DCM club .22LR target rifle from the dawn of time, and a brick of ammunition.

The kid shot 10 individual events throughout the day. Against adults. Some of the adults with super-expensive target rifles with massive optics. The kid was using this Remington 513T military surplus .22 trainer, with quite nice peep sights. It was in pretty bad visual shape, but I'd just finished rebuilding the internals before I brought it to the range this morning, as it had been broken in our last match, and the trigger was now honest and crisp, and the bore was good.

The maximum score in the course of fire for each match was 100. The kid started out on his first run in the high 80s. Next target was in the mid 90s.

Winning scores among the adults each round were usually in the mid-to-high 90s.

The kid was not put off. "Dad, I'm going to win us a turkey!". Dad was gently coaching the kid, and Dad clearly knew his stuff.

The kid's very last attempt, on his last ticket was epic. The wind was howling, and it was raining heavily. The targets were turning to pulp within minutes, and I had to use great care scoring them so they wouldn't come apart.

The kid fires two shots, then his target partially blows off the stand, and is flapping in the wind. He looks a bit sad, but I tell him I'll let him finish the string once the rest of the folks have fired and pulled their targets. So he waits, patiently.

At the cease-fire, down he goes, and reattaches the target. Comes back, and resumes firing. The high score on the line at that point was a 99-5X.

Kid fires his last shot, tells his Dad "Let me go get the turkey". He walks downrange, alone, almost unable to stand because of the wind. As he gets close to his target, he jumps into the air, and yells loudly. Grabs the target, runs it back to me.

100-9X. Best score of the day, from anyone.

8 year old kid, first day out.

He got his turkey.

redfox
11-19-12, 3:44pm
Fabulous story. Firearms skills are very important if one is to have those tools around.

I've only shot a .22 rifle, at a dog who had been in the sheep, and to kill a ewe with gangrenous mastitis. Both were close range, no skill needed, just gumption. I used to target practice on the rabbits who frolicked on the knoll. Love rabbit for dinner...

I once coached a friend through shooting a ewe with tetanus. She was our house sitter, the ewe had been brought into the barn the day before we had to leave (to get our Border Collie bitch to the dog in time...), and though the ewe had been hung up on the barb wire fence (probably chased by a dog), it didn't occur to me that she might have had a puncture wound, I just saw a sprained leg & limp. When my friend told me her symptoms, I knew it was tetanus, and that she needed to be dispatched ASAP. Friend had never shot anything before. It was intense, but necessary.

Gardenarian
11-19-12, 4:36pm
Oh, that is so awesome. He'll remember that day forever!

Float On
11-19-12, 5:08pm
That is a pretty incredible kid to shoot so well his first time out.

redfox - that is how I learned to shoot, dad would let a bunch of rabbits out and tell me and my brother how many he wanted to process.

razz
11-19-12, 6:07pm
Wonderful report. What a great memory he will have.

A friend was telling us about similar type of youngster who went hunting deer with his grandad and uncles for the first time a weekend ago on a buck tag. His grandad had coached him with great care. He went hunting under a youth mentoring as he had turned 12. His uncle took him that morning and the only buck seen that weekend came in range. The young hunter made a lean shot and down went the deer. His uncle showed him in anatomical detail how to clean a deer and dispose of it to the butcher.
He came home to announce to his mom, "We have our winter meat supply".

Blackdog Lin
11-19-12, 8:39pm
Wonderful stories. In the last 5 years I have been able to go from a total gun-phobic anti-firearm "nutcase", to someone with their own 20-ga. shotgun. I so wish I had had my sea-change when DS was younger, and he could have been trained in safe firearms use. But no, I wouldn't even let DH keep his .22 in the house.....so we were a gun-less household because of me, and DS missed out on the chance to learn self-sufficiency (and the pride that can go with it) with firearms.

I hope he comes to wanting to learn about firearms in his adulthood.

peggy
11-19-12, 8:48pm
What a great day for that kid! And his father! I'm sure he will tell that story well into HIS nineties.

Jilly
11-19-12, 9:35pm
This is a great day for us to be reading those stories.

Tweety
11-21-12, 4:39pm
My dad taught me to shoot when I was about that age, and would take me hunting. I didn't like killing things but loved target shooting. When I went to college (50+ years ago) a boyfriend took me to the college rifle range, and when the team coach saw me shoot he put me right on the rifle team, which was considered a men's sport then. I loved being the only girl on the team, my teammates were very protective of me, and the day I beat every man on our biggest rival's team, they all cheered! When I graduated I was the first woman there to get a varsity letter in a men's sport.
Great memories...thanks Dad!

Mrs-M
11-21-12, 6:15pm
This thread reminds me of how proud and happy our boys were (still are) whenever DH takes them out shooting. They show everybody the targets, and say things like, "see all the holes", and "look, I got a bullseye".