PDA

View Full Version : Vintage quilt

redfox
11-29-12, 9:19pm
Ethics question, y'all: I bought a vintage, handmade quilt at GW. In those lovely 70's shades of pastel aqua, pink, lavendar, yellow, etc. Tiny florals. A decently though not expertly made double wedding ring, hand quilted. I want to overdye it with a deeper aqua, to saturate the colors. What do you advise?

iris lily
11-29-12, 9:52pm
Ethics question, y'all: I bought a vintage, handmade quilt at GW. In those lovely 70's shades of pastel aqua, pink, lavendar, yellow, etc. Tiny florals. A decently though not expertly made double wedding ring, hand quilted. I want to overdye it with a deeper aqua, to saturate the colors. What do you advise?

What's your dilemma? Do I understand it right, that you don't want to alter something that is old and original?

Oh go ahead! It's ok by me. It's a quilt and it will not last generations. Actually, I think it is cool to alter this craft piece into a new craft piece.

My personal rule is sort of this: hard structures are to be honored (houses, wood furniture, china & glass,wear, jewelry, silver) and other stuff is consumable. I have antique clothing that I'm not careful of, and that will probably end with me. But none of these are museum quality or important to family, so I don't feel an obligation to take care of them.

I have pastel quilts from the 70's that I take care of BUT THEY WERE MADE BY FAMILY members, much different than buying something at GW. Please make the pretty quilt prettier!

Mrs-M
11-29-12, 9:57pm
I second what Iris, said. It's not a Van Gogh, so make it the way you like it and enjoy. :)

P.S. Love the sounds of the colour scheme used.

KayLR
11-30-12, 10:00am
It's your quilt now...do what you wish. That said, if the fabrics are of mixed content (i.e., 100% cotton and some with a percentage of polyester) the dyeing may not be consistent.

Florence
11-30-12, 10:34am
I am a quilter and would have no hesitation in dyeing a purchased quilt to enhance its beauty and usefulness. Enjoy.

redfox
11-30-12, 12:22pm
It's your quilt now...do what you wish. That said, if the fabrics are of mixed content (i.e., 100% cotton and some with a percentage of polyester) the dyeing may not be consistent.

Yes, I'd thought of that... It feels like all cotton fabric, but the filling maybe poly. I think I'm going to go for it! Big question now is... Do I do this in my washing machine?

redfox
11-30-12, 12:23pm
I am a quilter and would have no hesitation in dyeing a purchased quilt to enhance its beauty and usefulness. Enjoy.

Thank you, Florence!

Mrs-M
11-30-12, 12:28pm
Originally posted by Redfox.
Big question now is... Do I do this in my washing machine?Sure. Absolutely. No dye, will stay behind (in the machine) after the rinse process.

Amaranth
11-30-12, 12:34pm
You could--maybe spot dye it first to see if you like what happens. Or depending on the pattern, would it be worth taking it apart and sashing it with deep aqua or alternating deep aqua based blocks?

Just because I know you all will appreciate this... I once bought two quilts at a yard sale from a guy who suggested that since they were old, they weren't worth using on a bed, but "could at least be used to line the bed of a pick up truck." Both had been made by his grandmother with piecing/design worthy of a magazine photo. One was a basket quilt from the 1920s with intricately pieced baskets in a variety of fabrics. One I have been unable to discover the name of the pattern, but it was made in the 1940s as the wedding quilt for his mother. Neither has been anywhere near the bed of a pickup truck.

SEWFAST
12-4-12, 7:53pm
Only natural fabrics will dye. (Cotton, silk, linen). If there is any manmade fiber in the fabric the dye will not adhere. Lots of polyester fabrics made in the 1970's and polyester is basically plastic. I worked at a fabric store in the mid 1970's and was hardpressed to find an all cotton fabric.

Fawn
12-5-12, 7:15pm
Amaranth--glad you have the quilts and not him.

awakenedsoul
12-5-12, 9:38pm
Go for it! I think it's great that you're giving the vintage quilt a new home and a facelift.