PDA

View Full Version : What type of paper journal?

Citygirl
12-9-12, 2:28pm
Well I have now bought a shredder ready for shredding my old journals, I haven't done it yet though as I am still plucking up courage. As I've said in my other post, I do still want to keep a paper journal for non private issues but don't know what type to use, I have always used hard backed books before but could these maybe cause clutter? Any ideas?

puglogic
12-9-12, 2:42pm
Well I have now bought a shredder ready for shredding my old journals, I haven't done it yet though as I am still plucking up courage. As I've said in my other post, I do still want to keep a paper journal for non private issues but don't know what type to use, I have always used hard backed books before but could these maybe cause clutter? Any ideas?

I often use Moleskines because they are sleek and tidy looking, have the nice built-in elastic to keep them closed, come lined or unlined, big or small, but more important to me, they often have pockets at either end to tuck little things I want to remember, like theatre tickets, jotted notes from loved ones, etc. Journaling is about remembering who I was at any point in my life, and those little things help me.

Journals are not in my clutter equation. They're a part of who I am.

catherine
12-9-12, 3:05pm
I love Moleskine (http://www.moleskineus.com/) notebooks. Paper quality is so high, and they're so simple and well-made with an interesting history.

ETA: Oops, puglogic, I didn't see your post! Two great minds..

Tradd
12-9-12, 3:09pm
Love love love my Moleskines! I use the large size, which is about 5x8 inches, softcover ruled ones. Amazon is the cheapest place I've found them.

catherine
12-9-12, 3:20pm
Love love love my Moleskines! I use the large size, which is about 5x8 inches, softcover ruled ones. Amazon is the cheapest place I've found them.

OK, three great minds ;)

Citygirl
12-9-12, 3:24pm
Thank you for your replies. The purpose of me having my old journals scanned was for privacy reasons, I am going shred the hard copies but start up a paper journal again minus the things I find too private for if anyone should find them, any real ranting will be done on the laptop and kept there. Does anyone else do this?

Moleskins are quite expensive but they do seem soft and portable, I also fancy the Paperchase Noto journals but they too are not cheap.

nswef
12-9-12, 8:46pm
I buy cheap spiral notebooks in August when they are often on sale 3 for a $1-

puglogic
12-9-12, 9:49pm
ETA: Oops, puglogic, I didn't see your post! Two great minds..

Catherine, I consider this a great compliment (that I could have a mind as cool as yours & Tradd's :) ) And I love moleskines, or even moleskine knockoffs with the same features....

They sell an inexpensive set without all the bells and whistles,a three-pack for not very much money, too.

Tradd
12-9-12, 10:15pm
Pug, thanks for the reminder - some Targets (at least the one by me) sell a few types of Moleskines. There is a two pack of thinner ones, without the better cover or the elastic band (I think the accordion pocket in back is missing, too), in two shades of the same color, for much less money than one of the softcover or hardcover ones. That would be an inexpensive way to see how you like the paper and if you want to make an investment in the ones with the sturdier cover. I think the pack of 2 in the "large" side I use is about $8.

Target and Staples also have notebooks/journals that are clearly knockoffs of Moleskines, but just from looking at them, the paper doesn't seem as nice, and they're all the hardcover ones. I like the softcover ones - like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Moleskine-Ruled-Notebook-Large/dp/8883701127/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355109090&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=moleskin+large+softcover+rules

There is also a "pocket" size of this that I always have in my bag. I go through maybe 2 a year.

These are the set of 2 in different shades of the same color I referred to:

http://www.amazon.com/Moleskine-Volant-Notebook-Ruled-Purple/dp/886293338X/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1355109265&sr=8-22&keywords=moleskine

Tradd
12-10-12, 1:58am
Catherine, I consider this a great compliment (that I could have a mind as cool as yours & Tradd's :)

I never considered I had a cool mind! ;)

puglogic
12-10-12, 11:00am
I never considered I had a cool mind! ;)

You totally do. I could never do your job, for example, and you just kick butt at it. A good moleskine personality :D

I have been given these as gifts before and would never kick them out of bed (where I do much of my journaling)

http://www.amazon.com/Moleskine-Cahier-Journal-Plain-Black/dp/8883705033/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355155335&sr=1-2-fkmr1&keywords=moleskin+softcover+set+of+three

catherine
12-10-12, 11:52am
Catherine, I consider this a great compliment (that I could have a mind as cool as yours & Tradd's :)

Well, the feeling's mutual!

Tradd
12-10-12, 11:55pm
You totally do. I could never do your job, for example, and you just kick butt at it. A good moleskine personality :D

Awww, thank you! :) I even have a Moleskine at the office for notes on things I need to keep. Coworkers drool over it, but gulp when they ask how much and where they might get one!

happystuff
12-11-12, 7:32am
Also have a smaller moleskin that fits in my purse, so I can write whenever the time and/or inclination hits.