PDA

View Full Version : DON'T SPEND MORE ON YOUR PASSION IN LIFE!

heydude
12-20-12, 11:11pm
Do not just go and throw money toward your life's passion.

Your life's passion is outside of the bounds of consumerism.

Your house price is driven by supply and demand.

Don't think since you paid 100k for your house, that you gotta spend, say, even 10 percent on your passion.

Your passion value should not be a number of dollars.

It should be how you get yourself fulfilled.

thank you.

i thought of this when someone was saying does your spending reflect your values. spending is based on supply/demand and wages. your life purpose has nothing to do with all that.

razz
12-21-12, 7:29am
Not sure that I agree with you. I spend according to my values and budget which are not in conflict that I can see.
I truly love the arts - theatre, opera, ballet, music, art supplies/instruction and art gallery membership - and set aside a certain limited amount that I will spend. I buy the cheapest subscription available and simply enjoy the experience.

I will agree that one needs to balance spending and available revenue but they are not in conflict if one approaches the choices with wisdom.

Spartana
12-21-12, 3:10pm
I agree with Razz. Some people have burning passions for things that do cost money - sometimes lots of money. And while my passions are free or low cost for the most part, I can see where someone who has a burning desire to go to space, or travel the world to see all the great sites, or dance like a Prima Ballarina, or...well, whatever... would be willing to spend to make those things happen. I'm glad my passion is participating in free and low cost sports and activities but if it wasn't, I'd probably be willing to go back to work to earn the money to pay for my passions. Assuming actually "working" didn't kill me first :-)!

ApatheticNoMore
12-21-12, 3:27pm
I can see both sides but I agree more with heydude. Passions and money are often quite far apart.

I'm glad my passion is participating in free and low cost sports and activities but if it wasn't, I'd probably be willing to go back to work to earn the money to pay for my passions. Assuming actually "working" didn't kill me first :-)!

I often think the thinking that actually goes on is more like .... so I've had to spend all this time at work I hate earning money and that's rather depressing. And it's much more money than I really need. Offer me a deal to work less and earn the same hourly rate with less hours and I'd be there yesterday, but that's not the way the world works generally. So then you feel you have to spend money on passions to try to compensate for it, giving yourself gifts as it were to compensate, to make it worthwhile. But passions and money are often very far apart. And there's kind of a thought process that this money should be used to buy passions, that you have all this money and it should buy well if not exactly happiness something in that direction. Afterall this money stuff is supposed to be like the ultimate, it somehow must be worth all I went through to get it and then some in it's power. But meh. Looking for passions in all the wrong places ...

And the point isn't even SO THEREFORE you should save all your money for retirement or something, maybe you should, maybe you shouldn't, putting off everything for decades later may not be rewarding either, the deeper point is you may miss the things you actually like in life if you keep looking for them in money and assumign they must be expensive etc., not even seeing all the hobbies and things to do that aren't that expensive etc.

catherine
12-21-12, 3:31pm
I am actually suffering my day job (market research) to feed my passion (permaculture). I like the feeling of being a Robin Hood--taking from the rich pharmaceutical companies in order to give to more "noble" pursuits and causes.

In general, I have intentionally steered away from expensive "passions"--i.e. skiing or golf or anything else where you have to spend a lot of money outfitting yourself. I think the materials that get my heart racing the most are unlined paper and pencils.

heydude
12-21-12, 3:47pm
THANK YOU APATHETIC!

YOU WROTE WHAT I MEANT BUT COULD NOT SAY! HEHE

i just want us all to fly high up in to the sky and look down at the very very very very very small artificial system that we think is the end all be all.

work/leasure is FAKE. like you said, the only reason we try to find out these big leaisure things is because of all the damage caused at work. it doesn't have to be like that!

it is also why some things, we are willing to pay big bucks for (even though they don't have to cost that much) simply because, we think there must be a "big pay off" somehow. you wasted your time at work......there is no magical purchase/purpose to correct that.

Spartana
12-21-12, 3:57pm
I can see both sides but I agree more with heydude. Passions and money are often quite far apart.

I often think the thinking that actually goes on is more like .... so I've had to spend all this time at work I hate earning money and that's rather depressing. And it's much more money than I really need. Offer me a deal to work less and earn the same hourly rate with less hours and I'd be there yesterday, but that's not the way the world works generally. So then you feel you have to spend money on passions to try to compensate for it, giving yourself gifts as it were to compensate, to make it worthwhile. But passions and money are often very far apart. And there's kind of a thought process that this money should be used to buy passions, that you have all this money and it should buy well if not exactly happiness something in that direction. Afterall this money stuff is supposed to be like the ultimate, it somehow must be worth all I went through to get it and then some in it's power. But meh. Looking for passions in all the wrong places ...

And the point isn't even SO THEREFORE you should save all your money for retirement or something, maybe you should, maybe you shouldn't, putting off everything for decades later may not be rewarding either, the deeper point is you may miss the things you actually like in life if you keep looking for them in money and assumign they must be expensive etc., not even seeing all the hobbies and things to do that aren't that expensive etc.

I don't think I would ever put my passions on hold in order to work to finance them at some future time, but if I had a passion that cost money to do or learn, then I would try to find a way to do it while I worked. So if my passion was to travel around the worl I may choose to find a seasonal job in many different places so that I can work while I travelled. Or maybe work 6 months of the years as many hours as I can in order to save enough money to take off work to travel the other 6 months. Sort of a compromise. But I agree that chasing money in order to buy happiness, or as a means to finding something you're pasdionate about is a dead end. Find your passion irregardless of money, and, like me, look first at those things in life that inspire and fulfill you that really don't cost anything.

kitten
12-24-12, 4:10pm
I think the materials that get my heart racing the most are unlined paper and pencils.

Love this! Me too!

Rogar
12-25-12, 12:08pm
At least for me the secret has been to have passions that are inexpensive or give a payback to me or otherwise. Mine go slightly beyond pencil and unlined paper, but not a whole lot.