PDA

View Full Version : prefer paper or e-cards?

iris lily
12-21-12, 11:40am
I heard an interesting little discussion on the radio between two proponents of opposite sides. One guy was adamant that he preferred e-cards because he has no place to put paper ones, what is he going to do with them? The other person found e-cards to be "cold" and seemingly not very thoughtful.

Which do you prefer?

Me: I don't like ugly (usually cheap but not always) paper cards. I like "pretty" artwork so of course that varies and is subjective. The prettiest commercial card we got this year was from our Scottish relative. My SIL makes pretty handmade cards so I love hers. I like anything that contains family news or photos of children. Probably the best Xmas communication we got this year was from (complicated) my brother-in-law's father who is also a family friend of FIL. He's an old Iowa farmer who produced his newsletter on his computer. It was completely grammatical, newsy and interesting. In it I learned that one of my nephews moved back to the Twin Cities. No one else had bothered to tell me this! doh.

I don't like e-cards because they seem like just one more piece of spam Those Jacue Lawson cards--ugh. They all take too long to load. I wouldn't mind an E-card if is contained an actual letter. Again I don't mind the family newsletters, that's how I catch up on news.

I am such a grinch. :~)

IshbelRobertson
12-21-12, 11:56am
I don't like ecards, one tiny bit.

I go to the condiderable bother, each year of writing and sending out well over 100 cards. ( i do print off labels on my computer to save the added chore of handwriting them!). By the time I've written all the overseas cards (first task), then the European cards (second task)' then the mainland UK cards, I'm left with about 20 to be hand delivered. Those ones are almost a task too far, and I only completed them last night. Husband delivered them today.

You BET I want a card in return!

cattledog
12-21-12, 12:06pm
I don't mind e-cards if it's in newsletter form. A generic e-card though? No thanks.

My favorite cards are the ones with family photos. We do those every year and people seem to like them.

Rosemary
12-21-12, 1:18pm
I like to get photos and I prefer electronic form. Honestly don't know what to do with all the ones we receive every year.

bunnys
12-21-12, 3:15pm
I prefer paper cards. I think when there are trees to be spared there are a lot of other areas where paper is really wasted in much greater abundance.

I think the benefit of the paper saved for the quality reduced is not worth the cost.

catherine
12-21-12, 4:18pm
I don't like ecards, one tiny bit.

I go to the condiderable bother, each year of writing and sending out well over 100 cards. ( i do print off labels on my computer to save the added chore of handwriting them!). By the time I've written all the overseas cards (first task), then the European cards (second task)' then the mainland UK cards, I'm left with about 20 to be hand delivered. Those ones are almost a task too far, and I only completed them last night. Husband delivered them today.

You BET I want a card in return!

I'm sorry, Ishbel, you're probably thinking, here comes that poseur Scotswoman again, but you really make me smile because you remind me of my MIL and all the in-law relatives.. and the ways in which I've been brought into the clan...

So I have to say, we got a Christmas card from "Aunt May" who lives in Shotts. We got the card in OCTOBER. At first we thought maybe her mind was slipping, but then we remembered that she's probably still on the old schedule when the folks at home had to send cards two months in advance because they arrived by boat! I remember MIL saying, "I've got to get ma cairds away" every fall.

So, thanks for the memory..

fidgiegirl
12-21-12, 5:47pm
Paper, actually. Sending and receiving. But I don't like just the printed ones in an envelope with nothing else. I'd like to get MORE of the newsletters, actually. This year we only got one from my FiL and frankly, we already knew everything contained in that one! :)

I do say though that I don't feel guilty throwing them all away when the season is done. It's fun to see them, but no need to hang on to them.

rosarugosa
12-21-12, 7:06pm
I don't prefer either. I don't send cards, and I am surprised that we continue to receive them. I throw them all away by 12/26, including pictures of children. I don't understand why people send me pictures of their children. Sometimes I save pictures of pets.

JaneV2.0
12-21-12, 7:46pm
Paper. I like getting them in the mail, and I enjoy admiring artwork or laughing at a humorous greeting. I don't get the Yearly Holiday Letter from anyone--so often whiny or braggy. Oh darn.

The best way to recycle greeting cards, IMO, is to cut the front pages off, accumulate enough of them to make a bundle, then donate it to a school, arty friend, or thrift store as ephemera, while tossing the rest of it into the paper recycling bin.

catherine
12-21-12, 7:49pm
The best way to recycle greeting cards, IMO, is to cut the front pages off, accumulate enough of them to make a bundle, then donate it to a school, arty friend, or thrift store as ephemera, while tossing the rest of it into the paper recycling bin.

I recycle them by cutting them up and using them as gift tags the following Christmas

JaneV2.0
12-21-12, 8:06pm
I recycle them by cutting them up and using them as gift tags the following Christmas

And then your recipient can upcycle them by using them to make a new card, for decoupage, paper beads, earrings, or jewelry...No end to the fun!

Tweety
12-21-12, 9:17pm
I like the paper ones, especially if they have a bit more of a message than the signature. It seems like a more genuine connection with the person than a click on the computer. Plus, afterwards I use the back sides for grocery lists, they are sturdier and prettier than a slip of paper.

Simplemind
12-22-12, 12:58am
Paper fan here. I am very particular about the cards I choose. I love letter writing and receiving so I spend time on them. I love getting them in the mail and display them through the house.

Wildflower
12-22-12, 3:26am
Definitely prefer paper cards. I really enjoy them, and then recycle later on...

Tammy
12-22-12, 10:33am
I stopped sending cards several years ago. Eventually people stopped sending to us also. This is the first year that we have received zero cards. 3 days to go, but I think it will stay at zero.

I like it this way.

We stay in touch by phone and the www with everyone we know.

Edit: one cousin sent a paper pic of her new baby. No card, just a pic.

iris lily
12-22-12, 11:00am

I've done that, back in the day when I actually gave gifts, but I cannibalized the current year's Xmas cards. Came in the mail today, tomorrow it would be used for a gift tag. Hate storing that stuff.

Tradd
12-22-12, 12:52pm
I like paper cards, but some of them are so ugly... ;-)

Several friends will send newsletters or something similar via email. One friend had a child get married, plus she's been involved in all sorts of interesting projects over the year. She sent a two page email attachment with photo collages and a not-overwhelming amount of text. For the few older relatives who don't have email, she will print it out and send it in their Christmas card. That seems to be a good balance.

I normally just send out a few cards, but the past year has been so interesting, that I'm actually doing a Christmas newsletter. I had bought some very inexpensive paper at Target to do it on, but I decided to do an email one, since I started the project, but didn't finish it. I'm working on it today or tomorrow. I'm going to include a few photos.

razz
12-22-12, 1:31pm
I like both. I make some paper ones using card stock and personal photos, buy a few for special situations and send ecards to those who in my thoughts for a multitude of reasons.

ToomuchStuff
12-23-12, 1:44am
They are spam either way. Too many people waste time and money on trivial holiday (four letter word), instead of what is important, in my view. I look forward to it being over.

Bootsie
12-23-12, 4:29pm
Paper! By far, I prefer paper cards.

I do not like e-cards. I don't like opening them, and I don't like the reminder emails to open them. (I do like e-invites however.)

My kids really like to receive Christmas cards in the mailbox and open the envelopes. I haven't sent cards in a few years and am truly surprised people still send them to me. I string the cards across the kitchen, and I think the string looks like a cute holiday banner. My kids asked this year to please send cards, but we decided too late to do it before Christmas. So in a few weeks we will send Valentines to the people we would've sent Christmas cards to, and we'll mail them snail-mail. I hope the cards will be fun surprises for people.

JaneV2.0
12-23-12, 4:39pm
As much as I correspond by e-mail--and I love the immediacy and flexibility of it--I think I'll start sending more notes and cards (perhaps handmade) because most of us like finding something in the mailbox besides bills and junk mail, and I want to do my part to keep the poor beleaguered postal service in business.

mamalatte
12-23-12, 8:49pm
I got an e-card from a business the other day that said how many $$ the company had saved (on postage and the cards themselves) by not mailing out cards, and they were going to donate the money to some cause instead, so I thought that was a pretty cool idea, especially for a holiday card from a business, which I am much more likely to just throw out immediately anyway. Also, the e-card was a pretty cool animation delivering good wishes for the new year.

On the other hand, I live in a rural spot and just love our postman Vinnie and our tiny post office and I know the e-cards, and email in general, are not at all good from the standpoint of keeping the USPS in business . . .

SvenV
7-5-13, 1:40pm
Paper cards... it is much more personal and the people are much more thankful when they receive it...when I'm sending e-cards, sometimes I even don't get a thank you....

Tussiemussies
7-6-13, 2:33am

That is exactly what I do too. I use pretty decorative scissors to cut them the way I like and they come out nice. I too love beautiful cards or homemade cards and will use them as bookmarks. The only problem is that cards are so expensive now!! $4.50 at least for a nice card.....

shadowmoss
7-6-13, 4:13pm
I don't send or give any cards, but especially never open any kind of electronic e-card. Too great a possibility it is mal ware and/or the company is grabing email addresses and selling them. I do like to get personal emails with updates or greetings, it's the automated ones that I delete immediately.

rodeosweetheart
7-8-13, 5:01pm
I too love real cards and do not care for e-cards. I find them annoying, although it is nice that someone thinks of you, so then you try to open it, an inevitably,something goes awry.

And i have always loved making christmas tags from Christmas cards, too!!!

Gardenarian
7-8-13, 6:46pm
I like paper cards too. It feels a little lonely on a birthday if you don't have some cards - just a pile of emails.
I also enjoy making cards for other people.

Tammy
7-10-13, 11:02am
Electronic anything wins in my book. My dream is to eventually get nothing from the mailbox.

CathyA
7-10-13, 11:05am
I think an occasional card is nice, but I've given up mass mailings of xmas cards, etc., a long time ago. Using e-cards doesn't use paper, or gas to pick them up and deliver them, or gas to go to buy stamps, etc.
I like the e-cards because I can so easily (and simply) say happy birthday, have a nice christmas, etc., etc......to lots of people. And I might not have done it otherwise, if I had to send cards.

happystuff
7-10-13, 7:49pm
I prefer paper cards - any type. Anyone who takes/makes the effort to send a card and the cost of a stamp these days... I appreciate it all along with the card itself.

I'm, too, am leary of ecards because of possible viruses, etc.