PDA

View Full Version : Smart meters

redfox
1-8-13, 10:51am
I'm wading onto the rather mystifying controversy regarding smart meters. Here's an interesting piece.
What do you think? I was very disappointed to learn that Seattle is not planning to deploy these anytime soon. Sheesh! There goes our green cred...

http://blogs.edf.org/energyexchange/2011/04/18/smart-meter-best-practice-proactively-address-public-concerns/

bae
1-8-13, 11:21am
We are moving to install this stuff here ASAP. The usual crowd of "radio waves cause demonic possession" Luddites are trying to stall it though. It is a huge win once we switch over to it, avoiding having to upgrade the undersea power cables if we can keep our net load down. Also avoiding getting bumped up int the next power pricing tier.

redfox
1-8-13, 11:35am
We are moving to install this stuff here ASAP. The usual crowd of "radio waves cause demonic possession" Luddites are trying to stall it though. It is a huge win once we switch over to it, avoiding having to upgrade the undersea power cables if we can keep our net load down. Also avoiding getting bumped up int the next power pricing tier.

Not to mention seriously good impacts on greenhouse gases, etc. Good on OPALCO. What is it about the Luddite crowd that causes rationality to fly away? I have one FB acquaintence, a former colleague of my DH, who is a complete lunatic conspiracy theorist. He posts insane stuff, which I block. I had no idea how this technology was being targeted until I started my research. I wonder if that's why Seattle isn't taking it on yet... Oy vey.

Gregg
1-8-13, 11:36am
We had them in our previous neighborhood. Worked well, no hitches to report.

San Onofre Guy
1-8-13, 11:41am
I work for a utility, the savings are tremendous along with the possibility in the future of smart pricing due to demand. I visited friends in Arizona in the mid 90's who were in a new community with smart meters then which were not smart like today but they did determine hours of usage. Electric rates dropped considerably after 9:00pm and that is when clothes washing and drying was encouraged. People lose sight of the huge amount of stranded power at night.

pinkytoe
1-8-13, 12:23pm
We have had them for a year or so in Austin. I imagine it put a lot of meter readers out of a job.

razz
1-8-13, 3:53pm
We have had them for over a year. Most of the usage is between 7pm - 7am in this household. Some things are hard to get away from such as a fridge, freezer, sump or well pumps etc.