PDA

View Full Version : Seed Question

Dhiana
1-13-13, 5:49pm
I have some seeds from a red pepper I bought and am wondering if they have to be fully dried before they can be planted. Or is it ok to just place them in the soil right from the pepper?

Hoping to get a nice start on some pepper plants for my high-rise garden this year. Last year's plant provided a crop of 13 cute little red peppers :)

Thanks in advance!

puglogic
1-17-13, 6:48am
I have some seeds from a red pepper I bought and am wondering if they have to be fully dried before they can be planted. Or is it ok to just place them in the soil right from the pepper?

Hoping to get a nice start on some pepper plants for my high-rise garden this year. Last year's plant provided a crop of 13 cute little red peppers :)

Dhiana, many things you buy in the produce section are not likely to sprout, or if they do, are not likely to produce anything you'll want to eat, because they are hybrids that either do not grow, or do not "breed" true to the fruit you just ate. Many others are treated with anti-sprouting chemicals to ensure they don't sprout in transit.

So your seeds may not grow at all, but if it were me and I wanted to give it a whirl, I'd dry them first. Here's a little video I found on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMGnmmDrWf8

Rosemary
1-17-13, 7:36am
Be a scientist and try it both ways (and let us know)!

When I'm planting seeds, I remind myself that they are programmed to grow when they end up in the dirt with some moisture, and that all the specifics about spacing, depth, etc are largely conveniences for us humans.

Dhiana
1-17-13, 8:52pm
Thanks for the info :) I'm trying it both ways. Hoping that because they are locally grown here and not in the states, there won't be the growing concerns you mentioned, Puglogic. If I was in the states I just try it with organic peppers or purchase seeds from an heirloom seed co.

Planting seeds staggered a couple of weeks apart so I can have a slow and steady crop instead of one bumper crop. This is a major leap in my gardening learning curve. Wish me luck!

xmas
1-17-13, 10:36pm
Thank you for the info.