PDA

View Full Version : What are your 2010 Successes?

Life_is_Simple
1-1-11, 12:12pm
What are your 2010 successes?

Financial, health, family / relationships, etc?

>8)

fidgiegirl
1-1-11, 12:22pm
Funded our 3-6 month emergency fund.

Lost 8 pounds and became more fit. Hope to improve that even further in 2011.

Thanks for this thread, love it!

AustinKat
1-1-11, 12:26pm
My 2010 ended very differently than it began, and much improved. In 2010 I:

Finished winding up my mother's estate (she died in October 2009);
Sold her condominium (which I inherited) and my own. This was in Florida, in one of the worst housing markets maybe ever, especially for condos. Granted, I didn't get very much for them, but they SOLD;
Resigned from a job which I had held for many years, which I had at one time enjoyed but had become very burnt out on;
Moved to Austin, Texas, which after only a few months I love more than I ever loved Orlando, where I had lived since 1983;
The reason I moved here: to get married! :)

Between some inheritance and my own savings, I am able to take some much-needed time off. I've promised myself at least a year, and longer if I can. I am in so much a better headspace than I was at the beginning of 2010. It's wonderful.

Dharma Bum
1-1-11, 12:43pm
Survived another year of the HSSJ without becoming a HSS person. :)

frugal-one
1-1-11, 1:15pm
Made the decision to RETIRE and when.
Maintained and achieved financial gains to mitigate worry over the "recession".
Came through a devastating illness.

Not sure what Dharma Bum's post is about. What are the acronyms?

Life_is_Simple
1-1-11, 1:34pm
Healthwise, self-employment is extremely good for me. I went to visit my Mom twice this year, for about two months at a time. We worked on her health issues, she whipped me into shape exercise-wise. We played golf 31 times in the fall. She is my personal trainer :cool:

I opened a SEP IRA and put $6k into it. This is good. When I was self-employed previously, I lost money. This time my finances are increasing. I saved soooo much money from not having those extra expenses at a corporate job, that I bought a new car. I didn't pay for the whole thing in cash, but put down a large down-payment, so that's really my only debt. >8)

AustinKat
1-1-11, 3:41pm
HSSJ = Horrible Soul-Sucking Job.

Gina
1-1-11, 4:02pm
Almost exactly a year ago I decided I had to downsize. A number of years ago I moved into a new home that was larger than the previous, and slowly, without realizing what was happening, it got filled. >8)

So when in the mood, I've worked on and off donating, tossing, and recycling all sorts of things. There is still lots to do, but I'm very pleased with what I've managed to get rid of thus far.

Day in, day out, it's mostly been a good year, but not many other things of note.

TMC
1-1-11, 4:03pm
2010.....began the year with $0 credit card debt and ended it with $0 credit card debt. Bought a new car in cash...built a new barn for our hobby farm, not in cash (phooey). Have spent a better part of the year moving towards our goals of FI and getting up our hobby farm up and running so that when I retire (hopefully sooner rather than later) it can provide us with some spending money. Luckily for us we completely enjoy working on our land so we couldn't be happier.....unless of course we had bought that barn cash. LOL. But I digress.....

We end the year happy, healthy and with a little more money in our pockets (and 401ks) than we started. It was a good year for us.....we feel very blessed.

Tina

TMC
1-1-11, 4:03pm
I feel your pain.....

Tina

earthshepherd
1-1-11, 7:38pm
2010...let's see...
I lost 20 lbs, had a second hip replacement, obtained a new-to-me car by barter system, stuck to our budget, paid our debts downward (still have a way to go) and paid taxes in advance. Have been eating a vegetarian diet (mostly vegan) since September, and started buying meats for DH and DS at a farm that uses humane practices in raising and butchering animals.

I lived without a car for a month, and I really liked not having a car. It wasn't that hard either. But then DH traded an old shotgun for a new old clunker and now I am on wheels again.

I downsized Christmas by more than half compared to previous years, and it was much more enjoyable, and no one even noticed.

I made some extra money with freelance writing, and completed a 50,000 word novel for nanowrimo (National Novel Writing Month).

I saved a lotta bucks with paperbackswap. I have had a great time reading novels (mostly mysteries) from paperbackswap.

I headed up fundraising efforts that funded: 1.sending four needy children to summer camp for a week each; 2. digging two clean-water wells in Zambia; and 3. providing 3 families in my local area with food and clothing all through the year but more at Christmastime. This is the best part about being a minister as far as I'm concerned!

I bought less and cooked more at home in 2010. I hope to do better with all of the above in 2011! Life is an adventure! :cool:

Stella
1-1-11, 9:17pm
Fun thread! 2010 felt like a tough year for me, but looking back on it I can see so much positive growth.

-Dad moved in, reducing our bills to almost nothing for two years and giving DH the opportunity to go back to school

-I got a part-time job at a fabulous place I really love working at with fabulous people I really love working with paying more than is usual for the kind of job that it is (coffee shop).

-Huge, huge spritual growth. Finally laid to rest a lot of the emotional baggage I was carrying with me from a lot of really old, severe wounds.

-Got pregnant with my newest baby, due April Fools Day

-Started homeschool

-Made huge strides in repairing broken family relationships on both mine and DH's sides of the family. Visited with my mom, FIL and MIL and met DH's extended family on his mom's side.

-Worked with neighbors to start a group to work on community building and environmental efforts in our neighborhood.

-Finally feel like I am comfortable in my own skin. Like I have grown up to be the person I was trying to grow up to be.

Anita
1-1-11, 9:28pm
My aim is to get healthy and stay that way in 2011.After my emergency operation in Nov 2009 I am still having problems and now have 2 hernia's wich have to be repaired and i sure hope that will be the last time i will be in a hospital,any hospital anywhere lol.
Anita

AmeliaJane
1-1-11, 10:58pm
Left a job at which I was never going to be as successful as I wanted because it wasn't the right fit, and took a job which is a much better match--very hard work, but I love being good at what I do. Moved cross country and already have two regular activities outside work (this is a big deal because I am a serious introvert). Have managed to stay the same weight the last six months even though I have to go to a lot more social occasions for work and exercise is hard due to my schedule and the climate here. Frugality for the last five years paid off when I did a very expensive move and still have a solid emergency fund and am saving for retirement too.

Savannah
1-1-11, 10:58pm
This is a great thread. It's so good to read about everyone's successes. And it's good for me to think about the positives in 2010, because healthwise, it's been kind of a discouraging year. In that area, some good steps forward, and some steps back as well. I did lose some weight!

We did well with saving this year. We paid extra on the mortgage and the car payment all year, and at the end of the summer, refinanced the mortgage from a 30 year term to 8 years, lower interest rate and no closing cost. And yesterday we paid off the only loan we had other than the house and the car. So in that area, we made progress.

As far as relationships, I'm very thankful that things are mostly good with the whole family. I'm so grateful for this.

Wishing everyone a very successful 2011!

canadianrose
1-2-11, 2:07am
I'm grateful that my boyfriend and I have paid off bout $6000 of our debt in 2010, despite uncertain employment for both of us for most of the year.

Terri
1-2-11, 7:47am
Finished a very stressful 2.5 year contract. Survived 6 months of variable employment. Became a regular volunteer at a food bank. Got to know my grandfather better as I drove him to frequent medical appointments. Started a veggie garden and ate peas, spinach, swiss chard, basil, cilantro, and green pepper I grew myself. Started tomatoes from seed (I'm told they were very good). Learned to knit. Got a fantastic new job with a chance to live overseas for a year. Lost 35 pounds. Spent New Year's Eve camping in Sydney, Australia.

You know, when I put it all down like that, it all sounds pretty amazing! Funny how we forget to stop and appreciate things as they happen.

catherine
1-2-11, 8:01am
I paid down $48,719 in non-mortgage debt, thanks to a visual "thermometer" on my dry erase board and Dave Ramsey.

I did slightly less enabling of an alcoholic family member and more focusing on myself and my own needs.

Those are really the two biggies.

herisf
1-2-11, 10:23am
Started the work of eBaying my mother's Christmas stuff in 2010, this year will be the figurines. Hopefully will be done with all of her stuff by the end of 2011. Maybe can get some of my stuff in there too, but if not I'll be 2012. Any of her proceeds will go towards her assisted living expenses.

My allergies are under better control but still having issues. One step at a time.

With all the overtime at work, I managed to pay off the house! Am now trying to figure out basic life costs without mortgage payment so I can figure out how much more I can put towards retirement. With two new dogs, I'm still trying to figure out the balance. Next year should be easier, now that the basic dog costs are over (adoption and vet fees, etc.)

Tenngal
1-2-11, 12:44pm
this post reminded me that I need to keep improving and working towards retirement. I've paid off my car loan several years early this year. House mortgage finished several years ago. At this point, I need to define some goals and not let careless spending get the better of me.

Jonathan
1-2-11, 8:40pm
We finally sold our prior house after a year on the market. Not having a mortgage on it helped *immensely* - we moved out, spruced it up, and it pretty much stayed clean since no one was there getting it dirty.

Frugal Thinker
1-2-11, 9:03pm
In 2010, we reached our savings goal of $100,000 (outside of our retirement accounts)! We also refinanced our mortgage and plan to have it paid off in 7 years.

Mighty Frugal
1-3-11, 2:28pm
I love this thread! Lots of inspiration here!!! Here are my successes:

1. Sold another article to a national magazine for a nice chunk of change (The $$ I make from this goes entirely to foolish things for just me-like Botox!!;))

2. Almost bought a house too expensive for us, thank God we didn't. Decided to save for it (we currently live mortgage free) have saved an additional 16k for this fund since last April)

3. Made peace with being a working mom. My new philosophy is 'Make hay while the sun shines' I make a GREAT income, I love my co-workers and don't mind the work-why leave? I'll stay until it leaves me (in print publishing)

4. Started seeing a Naturopath doctor who has me on a slew of supplements and tinctures (I call them my nerve tonics) am noticing a wonderful difference

5. Lost some weight, want to lose a bit more (10 more lbs).

6. In 2010 I tried focusing on living in the moment-I am pretty OCD and very organized...hard to let go..but I want to so I can be the best mom to my 2 small boys..they totally live in the moment...so fun to just 'let go' and play a game of Bingo or Hi Ho Cherry-Oh

7. Re organized my mudroom (including painting, new shelves, etc) finally repainted the rooms in our homes that we HATED the colours (what were we thinking) and got an electrician in to fix the dodgy light-wasn't so dodgy after all and so nice to have a hall light again and a dining room light (our home is almost 100 years old...so the when the lights flicker...is it electrical...mice....a ghost.. who knew!)

Life_is_Simple
1-3-11, 9:31pm
The reason I moved here: to get married! :)

Congratulations!!
:+1:

Kat
1-4-11, 9:55am
We paid cash for a new car and some much-needed home improvements. I was also able to go from working 50-60 hours per week to working part-time (10-15 hours) from home.

redfox
1-6-11, 2:47am
Survived these happenings~
-Job loss/transition by both DH & me; my 4th in 5 years, his 2nd in 4 years. We both got new ones fairly quickly; he was laid off, I switched jobs.
-My father's steep decline in health and my mom bearing the brunt of it, which has slowed her way down too (They are both 83). We're all amazed he's still alive.
-My stepson dropping out of high school, and then got his GED & moved out late in the year.
-Getting my sleep disorder diagnosed & treated (sleep apnea). It's amazing how much better I feel - I was a zombie for the last several years.
-Getting back child support paid after court orders.
-Going on a real vacation with my DH, out of state for an entire week. First time in years.
-Not freaking out over my financial situation.

2011 is going to be harder in some ways - see my posting in the personal finances folder - and much better as I face the debt demons that haunt me.

madgeylou
1-6-11, 6:06am
Hmm, let's see ...

... I tried a few business ideas and settled on one that is exciting to me and that other folks seem jazzed about, too
... Launched that business with a Kickstarter project that met its goal the very first day!
... Traveled a lot -- 7 weeks of trips out west, back east, and to Scotland
... Successfully completed a 10 day meditation retreat, gaining more objectivity and space in my mind than ever before
... Moved in with my boyfriend and got engaged!

2011 is the year when I get a proper income again! Can't wait to get some traction on my financial goals.

jennipurrr
1-6-11, 11:57am
- Paid Cash for a new to me car
- Navigated through a tough year with my rental properties
- Oct - created a plan with DH to pay off our mortgage in two years...working on sticking to it
- Took a 10 day trip to Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks for our 6 year anniversary - one of the best trips we have ever taken, very revitalizing for the soul
- Finished my masters degree...not sure what I am going to do with it, but so glad to be done

-Finally feel like I am comfortable in my own skin. Like I have grown up to be the person I was trying to grow up to be.

I want to work on this one in 2011 :)

bke
1-6-11, 12:04pm
Finally convinced myself to down-size. We will save several thousand $$ a year by moving.

Found a buyer for our house. We will finalize the sale next month.

Managed to save enough money to pay cash for the $15,000-$20,000 remodeling project that allows us to sell the house.

Finally convinced dh that there is more to life than work. We have set up a 10 yr plan for retirement.

Probably the biggest but hardest sucess to explain: Stopped looking outward so much for clues as to what my life should be like. I don't fit the cookie cutter molds of society and I've come along ways towards accepting myself for who I am instead of trying to conform and beating myself up over me imperfections. My new philosophy is life isn't about what I should do or be but about what I want to do and be.

DonkaDoo
1-6-11, 6:23pm
1. Turned 30 :D it's a milestone
2. Graduated from the Second City Conservatory
3. Paid off over $6000 in student loan debt.
4. Finally left my shart job for a new one that pays the same but is Monday-Friday, 9-5, 40hrs a week with holidays off.
5. Reached a new retirement goal milestone - 20K, I suppose it's not much, but I've double it since August 2009.
6. Performed at various theaters with a sketch troup in Chicago.

Life_is_Simple
1-8-11, 10:25am
In 2010, we reached our savings goal of $100,000 (outside of our retirement accounts)!

That's a HUGE milestone! :+1:

Do you feel different being on the other side of $100,000?

Poco Pelo
1-8-11, 4:46pm
i got off the road and went to college. Saved enough to do it with out having a job. Even got an A+
Also got to pass out school supplies in person this year, that was a thrill.
Most importantly i went all year without dying..... and any day being alive is worth more than years of being dead

Blackdog Lin
1-9-11, 9:18am
(1) Continued being debt-free.
(2) Added $4000.00 to the emergency fund,
(3) Along with putting $11000.00 into the IRAs. Missed my goal of our $13000.00 limit, but still.....it took fortitude and perseverance and simpler-living, and I'm very proud of me (and DH for going along with the ride). I WILL hit the limit goal in 2011!
(4) Got a scooter at a great price, and am (slowly) learning to ride it. Goal is by 2012 to be competent enough on it to be able to go to work and run errands on it, saving on gasoline and extending the life of my poor old 1994 178000-mile minivan.
(5) Resisted monthly urges to replace said minivan. Hey, it's paid for, runs well, doesn't strand me more than once every couple years, and in 2010 cost us a total of $1356.00 which includes ALL maintenance, repairs, taxes and insurance!
(6) Discovered shooting. After having a life-long gun phobia, have learned to actually enjoy some shooting. Learned that the shotgun is my favorite, and got my own youth-model 20ga. I feel empowered, more self-sufficient, and it's good for me to be learning a new hobby. Helping to keep my brain young, along with getting me outside and away from this darn computer. ;)

Frugal Thinker
1-9-11, 9:24am
http://www.simplelivingforum.net/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Frugal Thinker http://www.simplelivingforum.net/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.simplelivingforum.net/showthread.php?p=1083#post1083)
In 2010, we reached our savings goal of $100,000 (outside of our retirement accounts)!

That's a HUGE milestone! :+1:

Do you feel different being on the other side of $100,000?

It feels incredible to have reached our savings goal. And, yes, I do feel different. I feel light and free – and good knowing that we could survive a lay-off for a while.

I’ve been tracking our savings (and net worth) over the last five years and found that to be a big motivator to saving more. Once we started tracking our progress and seeing how the savings were increasing, it encouraged us to be less wasteful. Plus, it made us feel good whenever we made the decision to not spend.

The Simple Living forums have been a tremendous resource and I’m so thankful that we can continue to share our stories and tips with each other!

Merski
1-10-11, 8:25am
Because of my husband's medical issues, I kinda lost the thrill of bargain hunting and spending $ that way. I know that's kinda sad but I'm proud that I broke that habit.

janharker
1-11-11, 8:20pm
I ended up 6th in the World Rankings in Indoor Rowing for my age group for the Marathon.

iris lily
1-11-11, 9:29pm
great great great deal~ that's just fab!

Anne Lee
1-15-11, 7:50am
We were able to pay cash to replace the engines in our cars, giving us a few more years of life. Oddly, the van is now getting better gas mileage.

junco
1-15-11, 9:40am
My special needs son was able to move into an apartment with two other disabled young men. This is after his being at home with me as his only companion for most of the time since he finished high school two years previously. Last night I had dinner with him and his roommates. There are no words to describe the joy in my heart as I watched his eyes twinkling with happiness as he joked around with his roommates.

Meanwhile I am now able to be employed since my son is no longer completely dependent on me. I am working in the school system with special needs children, using my experience to help others, enjoying the company of colleagues and expanding my horizons and earning taxable income.

All this is made possible by Big Government which pays for the services that my son and his roommates need to live on their own. Just saying...

Anne Lee
1-15-11, 12:14pm
Junco, I'm so glad to hear of this new situation! My best to your whole family as you grow and expand your horizons.

Urchina
6-3-11, 2:15am
I love these threads. Let's see... for us 2010 had a lot going on!

1. We nearly finished administration on the probate of FIL's estate. So glad that's almost done.
2. I went to school part-time and did well in all classes, plus gained a new mentor and friend.
3. I lost 35 lbs (over 50 lbs total since I started). Very glad about that. Still have a bit to go, but I feel like I've done the most important part.
4. Paid off over $40,000 in debt through motivation and focus.
5. Continued to max out 401(k) and IRA accounts.
6. Paid our credit cards in full on a regular basis. That feels good.
7. Spent time with family and friends.
8. Bought a couch. We hadn't had one for five years. It was time. Love the new couch.

Charity
6-8-11, 12:23pm
In the last two years I was able to do two things without going into any debt. First I had my house re-roofed. Then, less than an year later I planned and paid for my daughter's wedding.

I still have 6 months of living expenses in the bank and I switched my one credit card to a Saphire card so I can earn points for future travel. I've set it up so that I can pay my mortgage with it and immediately pay the card balance in full. I'll have an opportunity to travel to China next year with my sister and brother-in-law, who travels there several times per year to oversee a plant there. My lodging and most meals will be free, so all I will need to pay for is my airfair and incidentals. I should have enough points to cover it by then.