PDA

View Full Version : IKEA Furniture????

Ruffian
1-25-13, 2:13pm
I am finishing up having my living room remodeled. All of the furniture I've ever owned has been hand me downs or garage sale finds. I have a 12 year old son (& his friends), and a 100+lb german shepherd.

I like the looks of IKEA furniture but am wondering if it's durable. Is IKEA furniture worth looking into?

Thanks

catherine
1-25-13, 2:31pm
We've had IKEA furniture and I think the quality varies. The furniture can be a bit trendy, which makes it not good for long-term, and the sofa we had was one of the cheapest (KLIPPAN, I think), and it lasted for maybe 4 years.

However, I did buy a BILLY cabinet/shelves for my bathroom, and I love it. It has held up very well, and it has more of a classic look. Plus it's very flexible. You can buy wood shelves, glass shelves, wood doors, glass doors, no doors. My DH has audio shelves in his office that have lasted forever and they are so great for organizing.

if you examine the quality yourself, you should be fine, and consider how long you expect to have it. Their prices vary, and essentially you get what you pay for.

But, I do like the look of it, too. And I like an excuse to go there and eat the salmon at their great, cheap cafeteria.

Miss Cellane
1-25-13, 4:00pm
The quality varies. Things like shelves or the Billy bookcases or the Expedit units seem to last and last. Things with drawers--I've heard that a lot of their dresser drawers fall apart in a couple of years of use.

So, just like anything else, you have to research how it's made. The good thing about many Ikea sofas is that they have different slipcovers, so if the kids or the dog destroys one, you can get another one, without having to pay the full cost of a new sofa. But do try to get to a store and test them out--some people have commented negatively on the comfort of the Ektorp sofa, which I think is very comfy. So it's a very individual thing.

bae
1-25-13, 4:25pm
IMNSHO, it is cheap, mass-produced junk that will fall apart, veneered with a thin layer of hipster Eco-correctness.

Mrs-M
1-25-13, 4:54pm
I read an article (semi-long time ago) that labeled IKEA furniture, as disposable.

With a keen eye, along with a little effort and patience, you can find quality antiques/well-built furniture, at a very affordable price. Furniture, you can add to, take pride in. Furniture, that will last your lifetime.

Plus, quality (solid, all wood) furniture, looks like something, and it can be polished, too. Additionally, you can decorate a room with substandard furniture, and sure, if done right, it can look good, however, furnish a room with a few quality pieces, and even when done sparsely, suddenly, you now have a room that trumps all!

One or two quality pieces of furniture can turn an average room into an extraordinary room!

treehugger
1-25-13, 5:07pm
IKEA is not an all or nothing store, quality-wise. Their offerings need to be seen in person, IMO. Some is higher quality, some clearly lesser. In the store, you can inspect it, sit on it, wiggle it, shake it, and you can tell what's built to last and what isn't. Have fun shopping!

Kara

JaneV2.0
1-25-13, 5:17pm
I'm pretty sure well-chosen IKEA stuff will outlive me (the solid wood items, anyway). One of the perks of being old! If I ever get that aspirational cottage, I'll furnish it with something along the lines of what they sell.

If you like traditional furniture, there certainly are good deals to be had out there at thrift stores, in resale shops, and on Craigslist.

IshbelRobertson
1-25-13, 5:17pm
The one thing that I think is great about Ikea is their cafeteria. Their meatballs are great.

Mrs-M
1-25-13, 6:00pm
The one thing that I think is great about Ikea is their cafeteria. Their meatballs are great.ROTFLMAO! Might it be the ground particleboard and melamine they add to the beef that makes the meatballs so tasty? It's amazing what a veneer of beef can do! http://emoticoner.com/files/emoticons/smileys/laugh3-smiley.gif?1292867631

mschrisgo2
1-25-13, 7:00pm
As others have said, the quality varies a lot. The company I work for uses the Ektorp sofas and loveseats with the White covers in the reception areas of all 62 locations. They are oh, so comfortable, and the covers wash beautifully: they look brand new every time they are washed.

My daughter bought a sofa for $299. It lasted for exactly 3 years, then literally fell apart. There are a couple of new ones in the mid-price range. In general, I think the more you pay the better quality you get.

We bought my 2 youngest grandsons the metal bunk beds, Tromso; 9 years and much boy-abuse later, they are still as solid as a rock. My daughter has many more Ikea pieces gleaned from craigslist and freecycle. One of the big pluses is that if you know what you want, you can watch craigslist, and pick up something very discounted-- and already assembled!!

The bottoms fall out of the Malm drawers- but if you glue them when you assemble them they last for years. The Hemnes line is solid wood, nice, light weight pine that assembles into really solid furniture. I have the 3 drawer dresser and I love it. And the various shelves in the line are heavenly, too.

I got a queen size mid-weight feather comforter for $40. I LOVE it, and have no idea why I didn't buy it sooner- oh, wait, I thought it would be way more expensive. I'm glad I thought to check Ikea.

There is also a lot of plastic and particle board furniture. So if you want something cheap and temporary, it may well fill the need, then it falls apart easily for adding to the recycling bin- no need to move it if you don't want/need it!

PS I too really enjoy the cafe: the meatballs and the salmon are wonderful! The deserts are not sweet, so they often disappoint.

Tradd
1-25-13, 8:11pm
I have an Ektorp chair. LOVE it. Four plus years and it's still going strong. I know people with kids who have them as well and they stand up well. The slipcovers are washable (bought separately from chair/sofa).

I have a small round table and two chairs I was given, that were bought at Ikea in 2000. They are still going strong, as well.

I know other people who have Hemnes wood bedroom furniture and it is holding up years later.

bae
1-25-13, 8:15pm
I have an Ektorp chair. LOVE it. Four plus years and it's still going strong.

I have Craftsman-era oak and leather furniture that's ~100 years old, still going strong :-)

JaneV2.0
1-25-13, 8:25pm
Other than my grandfather's (tufted? quilted?) leather office chair, and the green man saddle chair still in the family, I never developed much interest in the antique furniture I grew up with. I appreciate it; I just don't love it. I like Amish and Shaker furniture, as far as traditional goes. A mix of IKEA items (like Hemnes) and just the right second-hand finds would suit me fine. I do have a handsome old oak dining table with nice stout tapered turned legs, but I doubt it will make the cut. (Maybe if I trick it out with a couple of contrasting leaves and add feet at the bottom to bring up the height...)

ETA: IKEA hackers' sites are fun:
http://www.ikeahackers.net

Rogar
1-25-13, 8:43pm
I have quite a bit of older furniture that seems like higher quality than most of the affordable things on the market today. I've filled in with a few things from L.L. Bean. It is solid American hardwood and is made in American, though I had to read through the product descriptions as some of their furniture may be imported. The quality is pretty decent and not too much more expensive than IKEA.

SteveinMN
1-25-13, 8:46pm
Originally Posted by Tradd I have an Ektorp chair. LOVE it. Four plus years and it's still going strong.

I have Craftsman-era oak and leather furniture that's ~100 years old, still going strong :-)
And I'll guarantee that the Craftsman furniture cost way more (relative to that period's cost of living) than the IKEA chair did four years ago. :)

IKEA stuff is variable. We've bought some for an environment which is not subject to toddlers or football players or commercial use and it's been fine for its use. I don't know as I'd put it in a heavy-duty environment. But for where it is, it's fine.

When we remodeled my mom's kitchen (gutted an 85-year-old kitchen; no, there was no "charm" to preserve), we found IKEA cabinets got really good reviews considering their price and we were able to build a really useful kitchen for less money than it would have cost to buy junk cabinets at a big box store (nevermind what we'd have to pay a kitchen store). IKEA guarantees the cabinetry for 25 years. I don't think I'll have the house in 25 years to worry about it, but I can say that, after five years of a dog and a poorly-guided wheelchair, nothing has broken, nothing has warped, and none of the pure-white cabinets have yellowed. So far, so good.

JaneV2.0
1-25-13, 8:54pm
I have quite a bit of older furniture that seems like higher quality than most of the affordable things on the market today. I've filled in with a few things from L.L. Bean. It is solid American hardwood and is made in American, though I had to read through the product descriptions as some of their furniture may be imported. The quality is pretty decent and not too much more expensive than IKEA.

Hmmm. This Morris chair and ottoman is a handsome set:
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/52049?feat=0-ppxs&dds=y

rosarugosa
1-25-13, 9:20pm
I'm really pleased that LL Bean appears to be making a renewed commitment to locally-made products. That is a nice set Jane.

ApatheticNoMore
1-25-13, 10:05pm
Yea it varies, Ikea furniture doesn't have a reputation of lasting a long time, but I'm not particularly rough on furniture and some things like this Bjorkudden table which is wood are sturdy and will probably last quite awhile. Now my mom wants one and I have nothing particular to say against it, it is sturdy. Very little in terms of new wood furniture is actually ecological. Ikea definitely isn't but most of their competitors are no better. Virgin forrests get cut down for it. Since I learned that, I've basically vowed never to buy new wood furniture again for that reason (unless it's made of recycled wood or something). But I see no reason to get rid of the furniture I've already bought, that would just be silly.

bae
1-25-13, 11:13pm
You can get sustainably-harvested hardwoods, there's even a certification process for some of the species, such as oak.

iris lily
1-26-13, 1:13am
As someone who trolls the alleys looking at throwaways, I am saddened by all of the cheap knock-down furniture strewn about. While that's not necessarily IKEA, some of it is.
Now, it is true that some of the alley stuff is that awful depression era cheap wood junk (shivers) that was our grandparents' version of IKEA, I suppose. But most of the crappy stuff in alleys is contemporary.

My friend who loves our old houses gives us a lecture about "the King's forest" and how the woodwork in our houses (and in furniture of the period) are from old growth forests, ,the wood is several hundred years old. You just can't get that quality wood now.

citrine
1-26-13, 8:41am
I still have a bookcase and a dresser from Ikea bought in 2003...they are hidden away but still provide a storage function. We were there last weekend and a lot of stuff is just cheap plastic/fake wood. There storage/pantry sections are fantastic though. If I were you, I would look for pieces on Craigslist and after a couple of coats of stain/paint, you can customize it to your taste. Also, if you are in a college town, just wait till March/April....all the Ikea furniture will be out on the curb as the kids don't want to lug it back home.

xmas
1-26-13, 9:49am
Like with any other furniture store IKEA has good quality and bad quality stuff.
We still have some shelfs and dressers we bought in Germany early 2000, still looking good.
You just have to look at the stuff and decide for yourself.

Ruffian
1-29-13, 2:35pm
Well I went and looked over the weekend. I'm so glad I did! Before the trip, I was sold on the Ektorp. When I sat on it, it was NOT what I wanted. I did like another model, and got all the information about it, but it did not come in a color that I think would match my existing paint/floor colors and no slipcovers available :(. For the price, I think I can find something locally closer to what I want.

Having never been to an IKEA before, it was a very interesting experience. As it's 3 1/2 hours from me, I probably won't go again for a long time!

I do have lots of well loved antique furniture that I've inherited or acquired throughout the years, and they are a big part of my 'living landscape'. I'll not be getting rid of any of it. When people come over they always comment, "I love your house! There's a story about everything here! It's like a museum!" I hope that is a good thing, but regardless, the hunt for a comfy sofa/loveseat/chair (all or some pieces to that ensemble) remains.

Thanks for the replies!

ApatheticNoMore
1-29-13, 2:52pm
I went shopping for a small couch or loveseat over the weekend as well (not at Ikea). Apparently what you pay for is very much what you will get in terms of how long it will last. So yea they are almost selling me on a thousand dollar sofa because that will last a decade or more (wheras they said the $300 one might die after 3 years!). Very important to know, you might well want to pay for a longer lasting piece.

The things it that of course my life is nowhere near that stable, sure this one bedroom has room for it, but I've lived mostly in smaller places, studios and stuff that didn't. But maybe it's better to pay more and get something that lasts even if I have to donate it someday if I end up moving into a smaller place? Because that seems more ecologically responsible (buying things that fall apart quickly isn't), so I should just spend the money, even if there is a possibility of a random stranger at the goodwill or something being the main beneficiary of it, as it's the ecological thing to do, right? Cheap furniture appeals precisely because lifestyle and where we live is for many people, espcially young people starting out, NOT stable, but I'm not sure that's really a good enough reason. Plus if you are a renter who wants to pay movers to move some vastly valuable antique and probably break it (!), now a $1000 sofa is not a valuable antique and probably doesn't break so easily. My other option is of course not getting a sofa at all, as I don't really need one, I do have soft chairs. It merely seems like I want one is all.

Having never been to an IKEA before, it was a very interesting experience. As it's 3 1/2 hours from me, I probably won't go again for a long time!

Yea this is another reason why Ikea is an environmemtally irresponsible model, they make people commute to it! It's nowhere convenient. Of course most furniture companies are environmentally irresponsible in terms of materials sourcing.

SteveinMN
1-29-13, 3:15pm
so I should just spend the money, even if there is a possibility of a random stranger at the goodwill or something being the main beneficiary of it, as it's the ecological thing to do, right?
Well, if you evaluate the materials in the couch, from cradle to grave, one may come out "greener" than the other (not sure which one that would be in this case). But one possibility would be to buy the "good" couch and, if you can't keep it, sell it on craigslist or your local student union bulletin board or whatever. Getting some $$ for it may be better than just giving it to charity, depending on where you are in life.

catherine
1-29-13, 3:33pm
I do have lots of well loved antique furniture that I've inherited or acquired throughout the years, and they are a big part of my 'living landscape'. I'll not be getting rid of any of it. When people come over they always comment, "I love your house! There's a story about everything here! It's like a museum!" I hope that is a good thing, but regardless, the hunt for a comfy sofa/loveseat/chair (all or some pieces to that ensemble) remains.

Thanks for the replies!

If you had said that in your original post, I would have said, why the heck would you want to go to IKEA? My favorite word of late is "patina" because I think that's how my decor can be described.. There's a glow of age on everything, but in a good way, and like you, everything I look at in my home has a story, from the etching that I almost used to hit my husband over the head with because he spent $100 on it and we had two young kids and no money, to the pottery we asked a Benedictine monk to make for us, to the $35 garage sale cabinet and hutch DH and I restored for the price of a can of white semi-gloss. I actually love my living room. I can't imagine Pottery-Barning it or IKEA-ing it.

Keep your landscape, keep your patina! If you need a new sofa, buy a quality piece near your home and just make sure it fits in with everything else you've built over the years.

dado potato
1-29-13, 11:09pm
As mschrisgo2 said, the bottoms of drawers do fall out... thin composite drawer bottoms slide into shallow grooves. Glue might help, if the weight is not excessive.

IKEA furniture is easy and fun to put together, but I do not believe it will last very long.

chrisgermany
1-30-13, 6:12am
It depends.
IKEA has been around here for ages, so we still have some bookshelves (Billy) and other items that we purchased 20-30 years ago.
I have friends who moved 2-3 times with their IKEA kitchen and other furniture.

I like some of the hacks at http://www.ikeahackers.net/.

shadowmoss
1-30-13, 10:30am
I have a solid wood gate leg kitchen table from IKEA that I love. The same model comes in a white veneer that I don't like at all, looks cheap, but the wood version is solid.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20104718/#/20104718

Bartleby
1-30-13, 8:52pm
I have a couple of Ikea "Poang" chairs/ottomans and love love love them. They were cheap, look great and are super comfy. Frame is guaranteed for 25 years. Upolstery is removable, washable and easily/cheaply replacable. Will never regret that purchase.

Have a kitchen from them too, solid oak cabinets. Like it a lot.

Have some other stuff that is so-so, some rugs that shed badly. Do regret buying those ...

B

JaneV2.0
1-30-13, 10:00pm
I have a solid wood gate leg kitchen table from IKEA that I love. The same model comes in a white veneer that I don't like at all, looks cheap, but the wood version is solid.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20104718/#/20104718

I'd like about three of these and risers to make one a standing work station/cutting table. In my sweatshop. Which I don't have...

The best salad/noodle/serving bowls I ever bought are from IKEA--nice sturdy glass that has held up without chipping or breaking for probably twenty years. I wish I'd bought a dozen.

jp1
1-30-13, 10:22pm
I agree that some ikea furniture is not durable, but some is. We have a coffee table that we got doubly on sale for $14.95 from $60. The first time I tried to move it to vacuum under it I pulled the screws for one of the legs out of the particle board. It now has no legs and sits on a cube storage unit we got from target. Functional (and the tabletop itself is quite solid) but not exactly beautiful... We also have a couple of ektorp chairs that are probably 10 years old and as solid as the day SO bought them. We've replaced the slipcovers a couple of times. Not because the covers are fragile but because of the cats... I expect we'll tire of the chairs before they ever wear out.

shawntheweaver
2-21-13, 3:45am
IKEA furniture quality really varies, and I think that IKEA furniture is meant for those who are willing to change furniture every two to three years. From my experience, these types of furniture do not really last long. IKEA furniture is really meant for those who are transient or just looking to have their space re-designed every couple of years. I would suggest looking at sturdy types of furniture but do not really look very heavy or Amish-like. I suggest that you could scout first in your neighborhood, and look for boutique stores. Though a little pricey, but it is worth looking at especially if these types offer the kind of quality you need, especially with a 12-year old son who might be very active (and probably his friends who would visit) and a kind of active dog.

Ruffian
2-26-13, 2:58pm
Catherine, I took your advice! I ended up going to a locally owned store, and bought a sofa I totally fell in love with. Was NOT what I had been looking at/daydreaming of, at ALL! I've lived long enough and done enough of these projects that I realize that is how it always goes! I showed my sister a picture of it, and she said, "So you're NOT going with the entire color scheme you just told me about 2 days ago?" I laughed and said, "Nah, guess not!" I could have purchased the matching love seat and chair, but chose not to at this time. I have chairs to fill in with and am hoping for a more open feel to the room. I can always go back and get them if I decide I must.

It will be delivered on Thursday at a much lower price than what I saw @ IKEA, online, or other stores. Thank you for your advice, everyone. I am happy!

drbond
2-26-13, 6:27pm
IMNSHO, it is cheap, mass-produced junk that will fall apart, veneered with a thin layer of hipster Eco-correctness.

Bae is right. Their stuff is made from wood from Russia, assembled in China and shipped all over the world. Large carbon Footprint. Although....their kitchen and bedding sections are great.

As the adage goes, you get what you pay for. Buy local. Amish furniture is great for quality.

I have bought my fair share of IKEA particle board furniture and I always get sick of it after a few years. Too boxy...and of course, cheap looking.