PDA

View Full Version : Clan of the Cave Bear

kally
2-18-11, 12:05am
Every cd we have watched in the last 3 years has come from the library free. Tonight we revisited the old 1985 movie, Clan of the Cave Bear, and I thought it was surprisingly good.:0!

I thought it was going to be bad, but it wasn't and Darryl Hannah was not bad in it too.

Remember this one?

iris lily
2-18-11, 12:11am
Every cd we have watched in the last 3 years has come from the library free. Tonight we revisited the old 1985 movie, Clan of the Cave Bear, and I thought it was surprisingly good.:0!

I thought it was going to be bad, but it wasn't and Darryl Hannah was not bad in it too.

Remember this one?

They just reissued that book on CD, don't know why, guess it's time to recycle it. I think I read it (skimmed) but am not sure.

Thornbirds was another big book a little earlier. I just saw Richard Chamberlain on tv the other night, playing a gay man. He is gay in real life. And then, someone made a joking reference to Thornbirds on tv recently, can't remember who.

Yes I know this thread is about Clan of the Cave Bear but you got me off on a tanget of big fat books from long ago.

Bootsie
2-18-11, 12:59am
I never saw the movie, but I recall devouring the book. Maybe I'll wander over to Netflix...

ljevtich
2-18-11, 11:43am
I loved the book, and the movie was just ok. I have read all of the Jean Auel's series and am waiting on the last installment.

DonkaDoo
3-20-11, 8:22pm
I loved the movie as a kid, but as an adult I thought it was retarded. I *heart* the books though. It is probably my favorite series ever.

Tiam
3-20-11, 10:49pm
It really wasn't that bad of a movie.

Tradd
3-20-11, 11:36pm
The last installment of the Clan of the Cave Bear series (I know that's not the name of the series) is coming out soon. I only know this since a coworker recently mentioned she had read all the previous books in the series recently.

JaneV2.0
3-21-11, 12:48am
I think the series in the aggregate is called Earth's Children. I read the first three, and liked that the author had done her such extensive research. She taught herself writing from books she checked out from the library--it's a neat story. I thought her simple expository style worked well for the subject matter, but I skipped over the pelt-ripper romance novel bits, particularly in the third book. Or was it the second?

kally
3-21-11, 12:51am
It really wasn't that bad of a movie. I have to agree. I thought it was decently done.

The Storyteller
3-21-11, 10:13am
I hated both the book and the film.

So why watch the film of the book I hated?

Daryl Hanna.

Tenngal
3-21-11, 12:46pm
I do remember this one! I really like the books better than the movie.

KayLR
3-21-11, 10:34pm
+1 with Jane v2. I loved the first 2 books, then became disenchanted with the third, as she said, "pelt-rippers." LOL, good one, Jane. I don't know why Auel felt it was necessary to go in that direction. Oh well. Only saw a short bit of the movie and wasn't interested in finishing it.

I'm stunned Auel is still publishing another in the series. It's been so long since the first; if I knew there was going to be another I've forgottenby now.

Tiam
3-21-11, 11:20pm
+1 with Jane v2. I loved the first 2 books, then became disenchanted with the third, as she said, "pelt-rippers." LOL, good one, Jane. I don't know why Auel felt it was necessary to go in that direction. Oh well. Only saw a short bit of the movie and wasn't interested in finishing it.

I'm stunned Auel is still publishing another in the series. It's been so long since the first; if I knew there was going to be another I've forgottenby now.

Oh, that shouldn't be a problem. What I remember about Auel was that she was very, very repetitive of the saga before the one she was narrating.

happystuff
4-10-11, 7:36am
I've read the books and watched the movie. Both okay - I guess. No desire to watch the movie a second time and no desire to read the books again. Not sure whether I'll read the last one or not. What I do recall on the books is that... by the 3rd one, it was just simply irritating that this one character seemed to be discovering everything in the world. When reading the one part where she was visiting another tribe, I remember saying out loud... "Ha! Someone beat you to discovering soap!" LOL.