PDA

View Full Version : Weaving!

redfox
2-22-13, 2:58am
My loom is back in action! Currently weaving a wool rug. The warp is heavy cotton, the weft is cut from a bolt of wool/mohair coat weight fabric I bought at GW many years ago. I'm cutting it into strips, after felting it. The rug is 24" wide, and will be around 48" long. Since it's been felted, it will be washable.

This is a prototype. I have several old wool blankets from GW that have been felted. They too will be cut into strips for weft. It's been 2 years since my loom has been warped properly, and I am having fun!

Oh, and Cleo is helping...

Mrs. Hermit
2-22-13, 7:50am
Have fun weaving. My kitty got to my warp as I was loading my loom. SIGH. Now I get to rewarp the loom.

Florence
2-22-13, 8:18am
What a lovely way to spend these cold winter days! Enjoy!

Float On
2-22-13, 9:36am
wonderful

Tussiemussies
2-22-13, 2:55pm
Glad for you that now you can back to one of your favorite things to do. The felted aspect sounds really nice.

redfox
2-24-13, 6:59pm
I have enough warp left to weave table runners. Two side-by-side, and I'm designing on the loom. I'm stripping a 40's barkcloth curtain panel into 1" strips, and weaving it with bands of cotton yarn. Sooo glad I finally have a room I can close off when I stop for the day.... This is too much good fun!

Tussiemussies
2-24-13, 7:35pm
I have enough warp left to weave table runners. Two side-by-side, and I'm designing on the loom. I'm stripping a 40's barkcloth curtain panel into 1" strips, and weaving it with bands of cotton yarn. Sooo glad I finally have a room I can close off when I stop for the day.... This is too much good fun!

Sounds like you jumped right back into projects, which I think is great...the table runners sound nice, how about posting some pictures of your work....:)

BarbieGirl
2-24-13, 9:58pm
Redfox

that looks like fun! When did you start weaving and how did you learn? What sort of loom do you have?
I think it would be fun to learn!

Barb

redfox
2-25-13, 2:41am
Redfox
that looks like fun! When did you start weaving and how did you learn? What sort of loom do you have?
I think it would be fun to learn!
Barb

Hi Barb,
it IS fun! I took a class thirty years ago, and have messed around every so often since then. I bought this loom about 7 years ago, at the Salvation Army. I stumbled upon it, and knew immediately that it was a superb find. It's a Schacht four harness Baby Wolf model, with a stroller attachment (wheels). It folds up.

It's made by a company in Colorado. I paid $100 for it & all the tools I need! It was quite a steal. I have a spinning wheel made by the same company that I got from a Craigslist seller, also a fab deal. Buying used equipment is the way to go.

I have a good friend who is an experienced weaver, and she helps me warp this. I am on the verge of taking a class to up my skills. It's been really great to get back into weaving. I highly recommend it.

http://www.schachtspindle.com/

Mrs-M
2-25-13, 8:58am
Lovely, Redfox!