PDA

View Full Version : The UN-birthday present

iris lily
2-20-11, 7:02pm
I believe it is time for me to ask, again this year, for what I call an Un-birthday present.

When I absolutely cannot stand something here, I ask for DH to please get rid of it for my birthday.

This year I am going to ask to get rid of 2 stupid things things on our patio plus lot of potted plant hangers. I hate being held hostage to DH's need to keep everyhing we ever had, it stifles my creativity. A few years ago we made standing plant hangers out of bird cage stands. Oh I thought they were so clever, and they were fun for a short time, but now they are tiresome and I want them gone. Also, there were cement balls/column toppers that we found and one was broken. Now I am tired of the broken-ness and just want it gone.

Sometimes DH can be pursuaded to get rid of things if I say: this is my present, this saves you buying something, that's a good deal, how about it!

Also, I think we can give the bird cage stands to his girlfriend in the neighborhood who runs a plant sale every year, he would like that; giving her something to sell. ha ha. She is my friend and she also has a packrat DH and understands any subterfuge to get rid of crap.

Fawn
2-20-11, 8:30pm
Ooooooo! I love this idea. I will start a list... This is the perfect minimalist birthday present.:)

iris lily
2-20-11, 9:35pm
As I think about it, a better term is a Birthday Un-present.

Gina
2-20-11, 10:00pm
Or de-present.

No matter what you call it, it's a good idea. :)

Bootsie
2-20-11, 11:01pm
I like the idea! I can think of a few un-presents I'd like around my place.

Tradd
2-22-11, 1:33pm
Also, I think we can give the bird cage stands to his girlfriend in the neighborhood who runs a plant sale every year, he would like that; giving her something to sell. ha ha. She is my friend and she also has a packrat DH and understands any subterfuge to get rid of crap.

Iris, the red bolded text brought me up short. I assume you meant to say your DH has a female friend in the neighborhood, but when I first read it, I thought, "Her DH has a girlfriend that Iris is also friends with?" :0!:~)

leslieann
2-22-11, 4:24pm
Yeah, I kind of gulped, too, Tradd, but then I figured, well, Iris Lily: she can handle anything.

iris lily
2-23-11, 12:54am
oh, I refer to several women around here as DH's "girlfriend." Sometimes it means that he is kinda sweet on them (which in this case, he IS) and in other cases it just means that he spends a lot of time at their house fixing stuff. There is only one photo on our refrigerator, and it's another one of DH's girlfriends with him, they've got their heads together being silly. The girlfriends are all over the place and I am fine with that.:D

Wildflower
2-23-11, 3:19am
Good for you, Iris - you must not have a jealous bone in your body. ;) Girlfriends - that sure wouldn't fly with me! LOL I keep an eye on all the women that DH comes into contact with - afterall, he's quite the catch, and I know that better than anyone. :D

I like the birthday un-present idea alot! :)