PDA

View Full Version : Parting clouds

SteveinMN
3-10-13, 3:12pm
No real story here, but this seemed like the most appropriate place to post this.

My DW has been a dear about shifting our life in the direction of simplicity and frugality in the almost-year since I left work. It has never been a huge deal since she lived many years as a single parent not having a lot of money to live on. But I knew I was much further down the simple-living road than she was.

After we returned from our vacation a couple of weeks ago, DW decided to take a few more days off work so as not to climb back into the frying pan too soon. Since I already handle the house stuff, she had several days to sleep without an alarm clock going off, to read books and watch TV, and to catch up with friends. And she loved it!

DW has always planned to retire in 2019. She had such a great time off, though, and work has deteriorated sufficiently that she's now rethinking that. And I see that she finally gets that the amount of money we need to live the rest of our lives has a pretty direct relationship to how much money we need to have when both of us are no longer working and how much longer she has to work to provide that money. Less money needed = less work. Or a job she likes better even if it doesn't pay as well as her current position. Or less panic if the worst happens and she's laid off or retires early.

It's terrific to have a stronger partner on this journey!

Tussiemussies
3-10-13, 3:20pm
Sounds like your in a good position to have a variety of options open for her. What a great place to be in!!! Glad for you both..

awakenedsoul
3-10-13, 5:06pm
That's wonderful. I'm continually amazed at how inexpensive it is to live so simply. I wrote a check for my electricity bill yesterdy and it was $13.00. It becomes an art. The less you spend, the less you need. It's great that she was enjoying free things like sleeping in, time with friends, and rest. Congratulations.

Fawn
3-10-13, 6:27pm
On no, SteveinMN, that is a huge story and a huge shift. It is the begining of freedom. :)

Lainey
3-10-13, 8:20pm
It's interesting how a real vacation from work can open your eyes. Good for her, and that's great you can walk the same path.

razz
3-10-13, 8:21pm
What a nice report to read when partners align their goals voluntarily.

Gardenarian
3-11-13, 3:57pm
That's a wonderful story! I hope you are both able to live your simple dreams.