PDA

View Full Version : Cats out of Gardens

Anna Hart
2-22-11, 7:39pm
How do I keep cats out of my garden?
Any ideas?

treehugger
2-22-11, 7:52pm
That's been a frustration for us at times, too. *thinks many unfriendly things about free-roaming, suburban cats and their owners* Ahem. We have good luck these days with neighborhood cats steering clear of our backyard because of our greyhounds (who aren't even outside all that long each day), but obviously, that's not a simple solution.

I have heard that sprinkling liberal amounts of cayenne pepper (buy a large container at a warehouse store) in the beds they dig in will keep them away, but I don't know if that actually works.

flowerseverywhere
2-22-11, 10:52pm
I chase the cat next door out of the gardens by clapping my hands and yelling. The neighbors know I don't want him using my gardens as his toilet and it doesn't bother them that he catches the birds I feed and gets into my gardens if I don't chase him out. He sees me coming and makes a run for it. I barely see him anymore, he goes the other direction. He's probably afraid of the crazy lady that runs around clapping and yelling.

One thing that you could look into is a motion detector sprinkler. They also sell sound frequency deterrents and crystals. A garden store or Amazon.com probably has some ideas for you. Cats kill millions of song birds each year and it is also dangerous for them to be out. I am a cat owner but mine is inside.

redfox
2-22-11, 11:27pm
My grandmother was darn good with a wrist rocket and pebbles. This is a bummer of a problem... one more reason to advocate raising cats as totally indoor pets.

jimmybaxter
2-23-11, 3:22am
I'm having problems with cats in my garden as well. They use it as their toilet.
But I was given a great advice which really helps a lot.
When I find a spot where they are comfortable and use as their toilet (I don't know know how else to describe it :laff: ) I first clean it and then pour a large amount of my own urine over it (about three to four gallons) . It sounds grosse, I know, but it puts them off for as long as they can smell it.
For as long as THEY can smell it. I don't smell nothing at all.

When the rain has washed it away they tend to come back, though. But then I repeat the procedure.

Wildflower
2-23-11, 3:52am
I vote for the motion detector water sprinklers. I've never known a cat yet that likes to get wet! It won't harm them and should definitely keep them out of your garden.

janharker
2-23-11, 12:55pm
Chicken wire laid flat over the area they are frequenting will deter them.

kally
2-23-11, 1:02pm
or you could just give up, like us.

spiderfolks
2-27-11, 10:51am
A garden show on TV suggested criss-crossing thorny branches (from rose bushes or nearby woodlands) over areas that you want the cats to avoid...especially where you have tender new seedlings emerging. Once my plants get growing, I stop worrying about it.

pinkytoe
2-27-11, 3:47pm
I have even more trouble with squirrels than cats. The minute I dig up some fresh earth they follow and bury pecans. I have resorted to putting chicken wire and tulle cloth over everything. So frustrating!!

bae
2-27-11, 3:53pm
Australian shepherd dog.

Crystal
2-27-11, 4:09pm
I put a little picket fence around my front garden. They don't seem to like having to jump over it.