PDA

View Full Version : Folding towels. (What's your method)?

Mrs-M
2-23-11, 11:17am
I know it's not the easiest thing to do, describing how one folds a towel through typed correspondence, but Iris Lily inspired me to start this thread topic as a result of her love of folding towels and things.

My method is what I refer to as "the store fold". Take towel and lay flat, fold once in half (lengthwise), then in half again (lengthwise), then into three. I work from right to left so that all open folds are at one end, that way when I stack them in my linen closet all of the closed/rolled folds are facing outward.

Float On
2-23-11, 1:30pm
I've rebelled against my mom's insistence that all towels must be folded long ways in 3rds and then in 3rds again. I hang our towels on hooks behind the bathroom doors fresh out of the dryer.

mira
2-23-11, 1:49pm
I fold them like you do, Mrs-M! My momma done taught me that :)

Miss Cellane
2-23-11, 2:35pm
Fold in half lengthwise and plop on the towel bar. Or fold in half lengthwise and then fold in half widthwise and plop on linen closet shelf. Most of the time, I don't even put the towel down, but fold in mid-air. Speed and efficiency. But then, I have "my" towels that get washed and put right back in the bathroom and the "guest" towels that only get used for a guest or if I've handwashed a sweater and need to lay it flat to dry. So only 4 bath towels in total.

I could see the folding in thirds and then in thirds again if it were necessary in order to fit the towels on a shelf or to fit them all in a small space. But that's not necessary for me.

Mrs-M
2-23-11, 2:50pm
Love hearing from you guys!!! Old-fashioned threads like this make my heart go pitter-patter. (I really do think I missed my calling as a Martha Stewart type).

Float On. Being a rebel (at times) is a great attribute! I admire you. :)

Mira. It's my favourite way. :) Easy to stack, looks neat and tidy, and not too overly bulky to store.

MC. I used to fold like you, in half once (lengthwise), then in half once (widthwise). Then I fell in love the "the store fold". Folding towels was never the same after that! :D

bae
2-23-11, 2:54pm
"It depends". My goal is to fold the towel so it is the same size folded as the other towels, so they stack nicely on the limited shelf space in our wee closet. We never seem to have more than two towels of any sort that are the same size. So, the folding method depends entirely on the size of the towel in my hand, and the folded sizes of the other towels I've just folded from the laundry basket, and which shelf in the closet has some open spots.

Mrs-M
2-23-11, 3:08pm
Originally posted by Bae.
My goal is to fold the towel so it is the same size folded as the other towels, so they stack nicely on the limited shelf space in our wee closet.This is a big one for me also. Sometimes I find myself jostling around existing folded towels in my linen closet to "best fit" my new stacks and piles of freshly laundered and folded towels so all looks well and stores neatly.

KayLR
2-23-11, 4:12pm
I learned something from a friend who has one of those magazine photo homes, and I just love it. Roll towel in half crosswise, then again lengthwise. Then ROLL the towel from the open end toward the folded end. Then all you see looking at your stacked towels are lovely little towel roll ends, no raggedy edges, and they're pretty much all the same length on the shelf.

Greg44
2-23-11, 5:51pm
Yep, 1/2 then 1/2 and into 1/3s. I get cranky when I discuss our towels/linen/etc. My wife LOVES her towels/table clothes/etc. If we finally can retire a set it is quickly replaced. Unfortunately no matter how carefully we fold them - they all don't fit in the closet. Having 14 beach towels doesn't help. Ugh.

Alan
2-23-11, 6:39pm
Like KayLRZ, we're a rolling household. Plus, they no longer go into the linen closet. They fit nicely on one end of our garden tub.

peggy
2-23-11, 8:45pm
I learned something from a friend who has one of those magazine photo homes, and I just love it. Roll towel in half crosswise, then again lengthwise. Then ROLL the towel from the open end toward the folded end. Then all you see looking at your stacked towels are lovely little towel roll ends, no raggedy edges, and they're pretty much all the same length on the shelf.

I roll as well. Some go into the closet and some go into a large basket in the bath, with the neat end upwards of course.

Mrs-M
2-23-11, 9:38pm
KayLRZ. Think I got it! :) I had to read and reread your post (multiple times) to piece together your system/method. The rolling does sound like a nifty alternative to fancy folding. Would make for such a clean and modern look if arranged thoughtfully in a nice wicker basket.

Greg44. So glad to know there are other half and half and into thirds practitioners here! :laff: Psst, hey Mira, we're in good company! :)

Alan. The idea of having an assortment of towels displayed out in the open is starting to appeal to me more and more all the time. No fuss.

Peggy. I was thinking when placing the towels into the basket you could have the centre towels higher than the outer towels to give the basket an almost flower bouquet type look! Whites on the inside- colours on the out, just like a real flower.

iris lily
2-23-11, 10:26pm
oh good god I just fold 'em. seriously! you people!

Depending on the dogs who are staying with us, we have either 1 washer load every 2 - 3 weeks or 1 load 2x weekly. At the moment we have no one who pees in the house (well, once in a while and only very small pees) and so I am doing very little folding of towels.

Mrs-M
2-23-11, 10:32pm
Originally posted by Iris Lily.
oh good god I just fold 'em. seriously! you people! Oh quit being such a fuddy-duddy Iris! :laff:

peggy
2-24-11, 8:40am
KayLRZ. Think I got it! :) I had to read and reread your post (multiple times) to piece together your system/method. The rolling does sound like a nifty alternative to fancy folding. Would make for such a clean and modern look if arranged thoughtfully in a nice wicker basket.

Greg44. So glad to know there are other half and half and into thirds practitioners here! :laff: Psst, hey Mira, we're in good company! :)

Alan. The idea of having an assortment of towels displayed out in the open is starting to appeal to me more and more all the time. No fuss.

Peggy. I was thinking when placing the towels into the basket you could have the centre towels higher than the outer towels to give the basket an almost flower bouquet type look! Whites on the inside- colours on the out, just like a real flower.

You know, I never thought of that. I might try it.
I started rolling towels many years ago when we lived in a place with no linen closet in or near the bathroom. I did have a large basket but just putting regularly folded towels in it looked sloppy, so I started rolling them. it looked very nice and now it's just habit.

KayLR
2-24-11, 12:14pm
It's funny, when DH and I were folding towels, we couldn't seem to do it the same way...out of our lifelong habits. So the towels always looked disorganized. Now that we both roll them---the same way-- it's so much neater. Not hard at all. Just as easy as folding.

Mrs-M
2-24-11, 12:50pm
Hi Peggy. I'm partial to either way when it comes to the presentation of towels in a wicker basket. Both ways look so warm and homey and inviting.

KayLRZ. In a lot of ways I'm sooo glad I'm the chief of laundry in my home. I can see it now, DH and sons helping out by folding towels for me while I'm out for the day shopping and when I get home I tear apart all of their folding work and refold everything again to my liking! :)

Mrs-M
10-6-12, 2:07pm
Bumping this thread this morning for two reasons. Reason one, it was such a fun thread, and two, maybe it will inspire a few others to check-in and post their methods.

We have such a superb and extensive archive of superb threads, and every so often when I come across one (or two) that make my heart go pitter-patter again, I like to resurrect them.

Jilly
10-6-12, 3:24pm
My mother had a very precise and strict way to fold towels and all linens. She was a terrible parent, but a good housekeeper. There is a long a very sad story there.

My daughter is particular about folding everything laundry, but is also a very nice and loving person ...maybe because I am her mother? Maybe.

The folding gene skipped me and whilst I am precise about clothing care, towels are barely folded, just enough to sort of fit on the shelf.

Clean and accessible is all that matters to me. Pretty is nice, though.

catherine
10-6-12, 3:40pm
When DH and I redid our bathroom, I found a great tall narrow cabinet at IKEA that fits perfectly in the narrow wasted space along a blank wall next to the shower. It had a glass door, with little LED lights installed above the top shelf. It also had a couple of glass shelves and a three wooden ones. Because of the glass door, I bought a dozen coordinating towels that went with the bathroom color scheme. When I got the towels home, I carefully unfolded one and practiced folding all of them the same way because they fit so perfectly on the little 9-inch shelf.

So.. I fold the top of the towel down about 1/3. Then bring up the bottom of the towel to meet the top, then fold the towel in half lengthwise. Then fold in thirds widthwise. Make sure they are all stacked the same way with the fold outward (not the open ends).

I've never, ever been obsessive about towel folds, but the cabinet looks so nice when the towels are neat and the little LED night lights are shining down on them.

Mrs-M
10-6-12, 4:15pm
Jilly. Nothing wrong with a simplified format of "clean and accessible". :) I love the way you put it, "folding gene"! I was definitely born with the folding gene! LOL! Fresh out of the dryer (colder/winter months) is my favourite!

Catherine. I am so jealous over cabinet with lighting that you have! I love lighted cabinets. Re: you not never being too overly fussy over the way you fold, it's interesting how a special purchase (as in your cabinet) can change all of that, isn't it.

JaneV2.0
10-6-12, 4:27pm
... .

Every time I saw this thread, I thought exactly that. I guess you either have the happy homemaker gene or you don't. (Although I have to admit to at least some similarities to Sue Ann Nivens...)

Mrs-M
10-6-12, 4:47pm
Originally Posted by Iris lily

Originally posted by JaneV2.0.
Every time I saw this thread, I thought exactly that.But that's just plain old boring, Jane. LOL!

JaneV2.0
10-6-12, 5:01pm
Even if you were folding them into rosebuds or teddy bears or naughty bits I wouldn't be impressed.

domestic goddess
10-6-12, 5:02pm
I fold mine as you do, Mrs-M. Which is the way my mom folded them and taught me.I think they look neat that way, even though we have towels in different sizes. Now my dd folds them the same way, too, even though she tried to rebel at first. Kids!

JaneV2.0
10-6-12, 5:05pm
My mother taught me there's always something more interesting to do than housework. Bless her heart.

Jilly
10-6-12, 9:59pm
Even if you were folding them into rosebuds or teddy bears or naughty bits I wouldn't be impressed.

Oh, I would dearly love to see those ...all of them!

JaneV2.0
10-6-12, 11:19pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub6ZS61sRzs&feature=related

I haven't watched all of it, but it starts out with a bulldog...

artist
10-7-12, 5:44am
I fold in half length-wise and then roll.

Mrs-M
10-7-12, 7:44am
So much fun hearing from everybody! Love all the additions!!!

One of "my things", my hobby-horse (if I may say so), is comparing differences, differences related to how others do things compared to the way I do things. Part of the enjoyment I get out of watching someone else do something (or hearing how they do something), is learning a new way, or a better way of doing it.

I have always viewed my life with a sense of, "there's always room for improvement".

Spartana
10-9-12, 1:36pm
Well... Lazy Lindi tries to get someone else to fold them for her :-)! If that doesn't work (and it never does!) then I just fold them in half twice and stack them. I only own a few towels and wash cloths so it's not (too much) of a chore.

bae
10-9-12, 1:57pm
My new method is looking quite promising. "Have the able-bodied teenager do the laundry".

Problem solved.

lmerullo
10-9-12, 2:20pm
I fold mine in thirds lengthwise, then in half widthwise and in half again. I end up with a small package, and can fit three stacks across on my linen cupboard shelf.

Mrs-M
10-9-12, 9:15pm
Wonderful additions everybody! Creativity is always a good thing! :)

Spartana. I've said it before and I'll say it again, sometimes I wish I could be a little more lazy.

Bae. I do incorporate the occasional help and aid of teens, but only under extenuating circumstances.

Imerullo. The triple/double fold sounds unique.

Spartana
10-10-12, 3:42pm
Spartana. I've said it before and I'll say it again, sometimes I wish I could be a little more lazy.

Well if truth be told I really am only "selectively " lazy. Usually only when it comes to chores I don't like doing - which is most chores :-)! I get up at sunrise and am like the energizer bunny all day until evening, when I crash in a heap of exhaustion barely able to drag myself to the couch. The only difference is I'm exhausted from doing things I love rather then things I hate. Not a bad way to live IMHO :-)!

Mrs-M
10-10-12, 8:02pm
Not a bad way to live (at all), Spartana! :)

Polliwog
10-10-12, 9:32pm
I fold mine in thirds lengthwise, then in half widthwise and in half again. I end up with a small package, and can fit three stacks across on my linen cupboard shelf.

I fold the same way, Imerullo.

Mrs-M
10-10-12, 11:04pm
With all the different folding going on, I'm going to have a little fun the next time I'm folding towels, and try a few new folds courtesy of this thread!