View Full Version : How to kill ticks on your clothes --by AARP

Tussiemussies
4-7-13, 10:17pm
Some good information:

http://blog.aarp.org/2013/04/03/to-kill-ticks-dry-clothes-then-wash-them/

Mrs-M
4-9-13, 11:54am
Hi, Tussie.

Ticks ARE a nuisance. We have ticks this year like never before. So bad!!! However, I'm not a supporter of over-drying fabric, as such extended drying times can result in damage... irreparable damage.

What I do, is go over the kids/DH with a fine-tooth-comb. I first do an overall observation of clothing worn, then I needle through everyone's hair with my fingers, followed by giving all clothing a good stern shaking outside, and lastly, I have everyone carefully check under their armpits, and all other creases, etc, and so far no one has ever had a tick burrow.

Tussiemussies
4-9-13, 4:50pm
Sorry to hear that you are going to have a big tick season. You make some great points with the dryer and it sounds like you have a great method of how to watch out for them...:)

Mrs-M
4-9-13, 6:35pm
I've ruined a few things (my beginning days as a homemaker) by over-drying them. Nothing pleasant about stiff, brittle fibres.

Relatives of ours fill a pill-bottle with Hydrogen Peroxide or alcohol at the start of wood-tick season, and every tick they find they deposit it into the bottle, which kills the tick instantly, then they do a count at the end of the season. One way to add a little fun to the pesky problem.

Gardenarian
4-9-13, 6:52pm
This is really helpful! Thanks!