PDA

View Full Version : I am starting to count the days!

SiouzQ.
5-22-13, 11:13am
Twenty-five days until my road trip out west!!!!!!!!! I have decided to end up in near Taos, Bandolier National Monument, Jemez Springs and Santa Fe area. I only have two weeks to drive there and back from Michigan, so I will have to be realistic in my expectations. I have been to these areas in the past; it usually takes me three long days of driving to get there but since my *new* car is so much more comfortable, the driving part out won't be as hard on me, I hope.

I am getting my camping gear in order, and the car is being checked out today for her maiden Siouxz.Q voyage.

I'm still trying to figure out which route to take - should I head west via I-80 to Des Moines (I used to live in Iowa City so it is a trip I have made many, many times) and hop on I-35 south to Kansas City and Wichita, then SW on State Highway 54 to eastern Colorado or should I head south to Indiananapolis from Michigan and hook up to I-70 through St. Louis and Kansas City, etc...I really don't like driving through Kansas (don't mean to offend anyone who lives there, but it is very boring to me)! The alternative is to head to Lincoln, NB on I-80 and use State Highway 34 to get to eastern Colorado and then drop south for a nice drive through the mountains to the Santa Fe area. I'll have to check out my notes from previous trips - I generally take more scenic and interesting routes on the way to someplace for the adventure factor, and then drive like he** to get home on the way back. I usually use I-40 east from New Mexico to Oklahoma City and then I-44 to I-70 start heading north to return home.

Anyway, it's all part of the adventure of it and I may change my mind many times in the coming weeks!

razz
5-22-13, 11:24am
Glad to read about your anticipation. I have always found that 70% of any special event in my life is the anticipation that so looks forward and then the actual event and the wonderful memories that I collected.
Sounds like a wonderful trip.

Spartana
5-22-13, 11:52am
Have a great trip. It sounds like fun. No route advise to give as I'm not familiar with that area but just take your time and enjoy. I always find being planless is great. Just hop in the car and meander on whatever direction your whims takes you. Or wherever the weather is best :-) . Stay as long or as short as younwant. And if youndn't make it tothe destination you planned to, well...so what? You are probably having fun. I'm on a long road trip myself - but a slow one. Went up the Calif coast and made it as far as Santa Cruz but had to go back home for the weekend. Now I,m back on the road again but not sure where I'll head next.

Float On
5-22-13, 12:06pm
If you do decide to go I-70 St L to KC, please don't judge the whole state by that highway. Have a wonderful trip. I'm planning a late summer road trip to the Santa Fe area tremyself. I worked out there in'85 and the retreat center is planning a reunion for all past staff.

redfox
5-22-13, 8:14pm
Bandolier is amazing. Enjoy!

SiouzQ.
5-22-13, 8:25pm
Yes, it is, Redfox! I had an amazing out-of-body experience the first time I went there; I've been there a couple of times since and it remains one of my "happy" places!

I can't wait to set up my tent and just relax, read, hike, nap, play my guitar and explore! I love being able to do whatever I want, whenever I want!

jennipurrr
5-23-13, 1:28pm
Woo hoo sounds exciting!!!

SiouzQ.
6-28-13, 10:13am
Just a quick check-in, I am back home and it was a fabulous trip! When I get myself regrouped I will tell you all about it!

redfox
6-28-13, 10:53am
Just a quick check-in, I am back home and it was a fabulous trip! When I get myself regrouped I will tell you all about it!

Can't wait! I am so glad it was a good trip, and recharging. You DESERVED it!

Tussiemussies
6-28-13, 11:08am
Glad you had a great trip!

Azure
6-28-13, 4:43pm
Can't wait to hear all about it!