PDA

View Full Version : The next S.L. level, reduce then eliminate the TV (Time Waster)....

sylvia
5-29-13, 11:57am
I 've been committed to simplifying and paying back my debts. I noticed that there's nothing good to watch on TV these days. Perhaps my values have changed. I prefer to stay positive and active. I noticed TV sucks up my time, and that is a valuable commodity. So I think I will take it to the next level and reduce until I eliminate. That is what started me out at this forum years ago. Now reducing means replacing and I will start with some music playing to keep me focused. Then add some housework and unfinished projects. Perhaps some socials too, many free events starting up around here.Has anyone done this already. Anybody who lives w/o a TV?My goal is to take back my mind and time. I don't like TV planting thoughts in my head. I was raised a couch potatoe, perhaps this is my breakthrough!To go out and experience life for real. Trust me some of us don't need soap operas, horror movies or comedies, we live them!:laff::laff::laff::laff::+1:

Gardenarian
5-29-13, 12:36pm
We don't have TV - haven't had one for maybe 20 years? We do have an old monitor that we can play DVDs on (which we borrow for free from the library. Saves money on going to the cinema.)

I have never missed it at all. People at work spend a lot of time talking about television and I'm completely out of the loop (I don't mind - I wonder, when do they have time to read?)

I do think that spending time on the internet can be as vacuous as watching TV, so I monitor my and dd's time online.

redfox
5-29-13, 1:02pm
We now have a TV after 30 years of none for each of us (we've been together 16 years). We use it to stream netflix & BBC, about 5 hours a week. My time suck is the Internet!

Florence
5-29-13, 1:26pm
We don't have television either. We live out in the country where there is no cable so we tried DirecTV satellite but canceled it because there just wasn't anything on it that I wanted to watch. I did enjoy Downton Abbey and Call the Midwife but I can get those through Netflix. I'd rather read or quilt or garden or go bird watching than watch TV. I do have to watch myself or I spend too much time on the computer.:|(

reader99
5-29-13, 3:05pm
I live alone. When I had a car I had just a couple channels on antenna. When I junked the car I got basic cable to relieve the isolation. I agree there's not much on, but I don't have stuff I need to be doing, so a couple hours of sound and motion in the evening is nice.

puglogic
5-29-13, 4:20pm
I watch about 2 hrs of TV per week. I feel much saner and much more connected to real life & community without that dumb thing. I don't need to sit on my widening rear end watching fantasies about other peoples' lives and crises - it feels sick and stupid to me nowadays (that's for me only, because I'm always involved in a bunch of things/books/activities and always frustrated about how little time I have) And TV news is just absolute poison most of the time, as bad for me as an IV drip of Drano. Good for you, Sylvia. What do you LOVE ? Do that instead :D

ApatheticNoMore
5-29-13, 5:06pm
I don't own a t.v.. I do watch a little t.v. with others (or else how could I talk about it :)).

I don't think there's anything wrong with pointless wastes of time :). I mean, ok if you come home late, you're tired (just put in 8 hours working and 2 commuting roundtrip), the sun is gone, even most social activities start earlier (really what's up with that? don't these people also have long commutes, are there really *that many* unemployed people?). I'm not sure what earth shattering things you are supposed to find to do (well I know what I do do, waste a lot of time on the net, cook a little, read a little, study career related stuff in the hopes a better future awaits).

I do think I probably at this point have very different values than if I watched a lot of t.v.. I just saw the dumbest show in the world a few weeks ago, oh my goodness, just mouth agape that anything could even be that dumb. Just :O. It was the Apprentice with Donald Trump. :) I really couldn't believe that such a show existed, I mean I understand much on t.v. is meant to be fantasy, and I get it, I've watched reality t.v. before, but while I can see the very minimal appeal of most reality t.v. I couldn't even see the appeal of *that*. They try to up and up and up the level of distraction on t.v. (to the point that no just does not compute) so we don't notice how bad things are in the real world I guess - I've heard that critique many times - but one episode of the Apprentice with Donald Trump - and I BELIEVE IT! Really though t.v. has been getting way more hyper and over the top at attempts to distract lately, there is a marked change IMO.

CathyA
5-29-13, 7:59pm
I'm not going to give up TV. I do lots of different things during the day, and enjoy watching TV before I go to bed. I'm not able to read, or I would probably do that.
Anyhow.........if you want to give it up and can, then that's a good thing.

try2bfrugal
5-29-13, 8:47pm
I didn't have a TV when I was single. I rather liked living like that. Half the conversations at work seemed to center around TV shows and I never knew what my coworkers were talking about. But I actually kind of liked that. I was reading or doing active stuff instead. When DH moved in he brought a TV. For years we only had a little black and white set.

Now we have several TVs. I use them for college course DVDs, exercise DVDs, and Netflix. I'm watching Parks and Recreation now on Netflix. I would prefer to get rid of the cable but DH enjoys it. We have at least cut some of the options and premium channels. I don't think I would ever give up Netflix. For me it is a great frugal value for the money. We have the three DVDs at home plan, so an at home movie on a weekend night is cheap entertainment for us.

iris lily
5-29-13, 9:47pm
While I waste a lot of time (a lot!) on tv, it is mostly dvds which I watch on my schedule. I grew bored with watching anything on THEIR schedule ("they" being network.) As I think about it, it's a model that pizzes me off: ME adjusting MY schedule for THEIR drek. I don't think so.

Tradd
5-29-13, 9:55pm
Haven't owned a TV in about 10 years. I will watch some DVDs, as well as streaming some shows online, mostly PBS and bits of news.

sylvia
5-30-13, 6:55pm
Thanks for the replies and support. I really get what iris lily means "watching on your schedule". I agree. I still watch it but stopping watching reruns, and some work done. I have a few faves that I DVR, I watch on my time. Over the years I just sat like a zombie=well zombie no more!

Tussiemussies
5-30-13, 8:55pm
While we do have a TV I have made a point to never watch it. I did this for a few years and then lying in bed got me to watch it again. I got off of that soon and I've been back to no watching!

Sounds like a great goal Sylvia...

pony mom
5-30-13, 9:06pm
Most times the tv is on but I'm online, not paying attention. Two shows that I do enjoy, Hannibal and The Graham Norton Show, are on at the same time, so one of them gets watched On Demand. The rest is just mostly PBS/BBC stuff. And Project Runway.

I do enjoy the music channels Comcast has; usually the tv is on just to listen to that.

Tussiemussies
5-30-13, 11:20pm
Most times the tv is on but I'm online, not paying attention. Two shows that I do enjoy, Hannibal and The Graham Norton Show, are on at the same time, so one of them gets watched On Demand. The rest is just mostly PBS/BBC stuff. And Project Runway.

I do enjoy the music channels Comcast has; usually the tv is on just to listen to that.

Used to love that show Project Runway. Such creative people who are amazing in their designs and can really sew well!

iris lilies
5-30-13, 11:24pm
Used to love that show Project Runway. Such creative people who are amazing in their designs and can really sew well!

I love Project Runway, too! There hasn't been a new version on dvd for a while now. I'm waiting for Season 9 to be released.

Zoebird
5-30-13, 11:36pm
we also watch on our schedule, in terms of legal downloads. we love masterchef (australia and nz), and we also watch grand designs, rennovation man (both from the UK), and finally, the voice (US and australia). i watch the amazing race season, too.

this gets us about 1 hr of tv per night mon-fri. we usually watch it during the tea after dinner (quiet time) before stories/bed time routine with ds. it's enjoyable.

then dh and i have quiet time. we usually write during this time. i spend time on forums -- but i've cut back on that as well. I now spend about 1 hr a day (combined) on forums, which is why you haven't seen much of me. which is odd. but i think it's because there's a lot going on in my life right now (all positive stuff), and forums are secondary to that for sure. :)

ToomuchStuff
5-31-13, 12:19am
I have one program that I watch, but I am not paying cable for. I might consider it, if they had a pick your channels option (that will never happen). Over the air or cable; well one is as bad as the other, and the reason so many I know, went to viewing over the internet. (eliminate commercials, view what you want, even if it isn't broadcast in your country)
I do have high speed internet, and am planning on trying Netflix. If I don't like it, I expect I will drop my internet speed down a ways, and save some money that I could use to see that one show, via DVD, and update the computer, overnight (since it will be a much slower speed). Unfortunately I couldn't find the Netflix information, without a trial, that would answer if it will be worth it. Seems like a simple thing to allow someone to find out what you carry, without being a member, but that eliminates, a billable event.

pinkytoe
5-31-13, 9:28am
I recently relented and agreed to let dh purchase a small flat screen TV he was pining for. He is figuring out now best way to stream his favorite sci-fi shows. We have never had cable and most TV bores me to tears. I think it is because unlike the internet, it is completely passive. All one can do is sit there and take it in but I can't seem to do that anymore without fidgeting. I normally only watch snippets of the news or something on PBS so maybe 3 hours total per week.