PDA

View Full Version : Request for book suggestions

tetrimbath
5-31-13, 6:47pm
I want to include a book suggestion for next months FI What's New newsletter (due out the second Tuesday of June). I'd rather hear about you're reading than what I'm reading. Got any Simple Living / Financial Integrity / New Road Map style books that you'd like to encourage others to read?

fidgiegirl
5-31-13, 7:38pm
I am really digging The Right Brain Business Plan right now. Am in the baby phases of it, but have really enjoyed it.

Gardenarian
6-2-13, 2:26am
Well, "Paradise Lot" was a lot of fun - permaculture rather than finance oriented, though.

I also enjoyed "The wisdom of the shire : a short guide to a long and happy life" by Noble Smith. (Maybe only for hard-core Tolkien fans, but simple living wisdom there!)

Also like "Downsizing your home with style : living well in a smaller space" by Lauri Ward. For anyone considering downsizing, tiny homes, or just simplifying their current abode - a wealth of good advice for creating a nurturing living space.

catherine
6-2-13, 7:52am
Some of these are classics but well worth mentioning:

*Walden by Henry Thoreau
*The Good Life by Helen and Scott Nearing
*Voluntary Simplicity by Duane Elgin
Simple Prosperity by David Wann
Choosing Simplicity by Linda Breen Pierce
Radical Simplicity: Small Footprints on a Finite Earth by Jim Merkel
Radical Simplicity by Dan Price
Early Retirement Extreme by Jacob Lund Fisker
*Small is Beautiful by E.F. Schumacher
Radical Frugality: Living in America on $8000 a Year by Nic Adams
*Deep Economy by Bill McKibben
The Quest of the Simple Life by William J. Dawson (this is an old book--1907, but still relevant)
Unplugged by Hillary Bergeron

These are some of my favorites based on a quick scan of my Kindle. I starred the ones that I would take with me on a deserted island

frugal-one
6-2-13, 3:57pm
Just finished perusing from the library "50 self-help classics : 50 inspirational books to transform your life, from timeless sages to contemporary gurus" by Butler-Bowdon, Tom. It gives a synopsis of each books lessons and ideas. Worth checking out IMO.

tetrimbath
6-2-13, 11:30pm
If you moved to a deserted island, write about it. That's a book I'd enjoy reading. So many talk about it. What would it be like to do it? (Voluntarily, of course.)

Some of these are classics but well worth mentioning:

*Walden by Henry Thoreau
*The Good Life by Helen and Scott Nearing
*Voluntary Simplicity by Duane Elgin
Simple Prosperity by David Wann
Choosing Simplicity by Linda Breen Pierce
Radical Simplicity: Small Footprints on a Finite Earth by Jim Merkel
Radical Simplicity by Dan Price
Early Retirement Extreme by Jacob Lund Fisker
*Small is Beautiful by E.F. Schumacher
Radical Frugality: Living in America on $8000 a Year by Nic Adams
*Deep Economy by Bill McKibben
The Quest of the Simple Life by William J. Dawson (this is an old book--1907, but still relevant)
Unplugged by Hillary Bergeron

These are some of my favorites based on a quick scan of my Kindle. I starred the ones that I would take with me on a deserted island