PDA

View Full Version : How To Pay For Vacation- long?

SiouzQ.
6-5-13, 9:39am
Its seems as though lately all I am doing is bleeding out money all over the place, and vacation is in one week! After years of being debt-free and having no health insurance (thereby never going to the doctor), I now have that car payment and a bunch of medical bills trickling in, even though I have health insurance now (with a pretty high deductable of $2300). So because I have insurance now, I started catching up on all the standard medical tests I had missed. I had my routine mammogram, which was paid for, but they found some potential problem so I had to go back in for more detailed screenings. It turns out I have some calcifications they'll need to watch for the next six months, yada yada, and yet another mammogram in the fall. So this latest mammogram is something I am getting billed for, let alone the next one in the fall. And then there is my knee problem. I finally went in for X-rays and there is some arthritis, some patellofemoral syndrome (Runner's knee) and a bit of fluid. But that is only part of the problem, as I believe I am having a meniscus issue that will have to be looked at. I haven't even made the appointment for THAT yet. Meanwhile, my knees, especially the left, is giving me a a lot of pain.

When I requested my vacation time way back in January, I needed to get 2000 service hours under my belt for the year in order to get my maximum amount for paid time off. Well, looking at the calendar back then I thought for sure I was playing it safe by going in mi-June, so I asked for two weeks off. I wasn't planning on injuring myself and missing six days of work back in March...it looks like I will be 12 hours short of fulfilling my 2000 service hours by the time June 14th rolls around, which means I am only getting 32 paid hours off and the rest of my vacation will be without pay!

So I am just a little freaked out by all these bills and the car payment, and the fact my room mate moved out a few months ago and I lost $300 of extra income per month from that. At the end of last year I actually had $20,000 in savings! $4000 of that went for the down payment on my car but I have had some other bills to pay, so that is down to about $14,300-ish.

A lot of this is psychological; I know this is going to be a crazy-expensive trip, mainly in gas to get to and from New Mexico, plus the campground fees, etc. I am fully expecting this trip to cost me at least $1000 and most is going to go on my credit card, of which I decided would be okay to carry a balance on for a few months into the fall when I can get caught up. But then I started thinking while I was at AAA getting my maps and the lady was telling me about their pre-paid debit card plan- if I already am planning on spending around $1000 anyway, wouldn't it make sense to just transfer that $1000 out of my savings account to a new pre-paid debit card specifically earmarked for vacation that I don't have to worry about paying off later? I think a lot of it is I am having a hard time seeing my savings balance drop down from that big number back in December. But I think it would be worse seeing my credit card balance being carried over, and for what?! I technically have the money for this, and it may not be the smartest move to take this vacation, especially since I have very little vacation pay coming to me, but I have concluded my psyche really, really needs this little adventure in order to be able to function for the next year. I think it will refresh me enough to come back and really buckle down again on the frugal front and just work my butt off for the next year, find another room mate, and think of creative ways to rebuild my savings to get back on track. I can't do the all work and no play thing for much longer this time around - I didn't really have any vacation last summer when I was busy switching jobs from the guitar store to Whole Foods.

So to boil it back down to the original question, I guess what I am asking advice for is A) do I take $1000 out of savings and get a pre-paid vacation only debit card, or B) use my regular credit card and pay it off when it is all said and done out of that very same savings account, and possibly not pay it off all at once?

SteveinMN
6-5-13, 10:06am
So to boil it back down to the original question, I guess what I am asking advice for is A) do I take $1000 out of savings and get a pre-paid vacation only debit card, or B) use my regular credit card and pay it off when it is all said and done out of that very same savings account, and possibly not pay it off all at once?
You're spending it either way, so the debit card sounds like the way to go rather than pay interest charges even over a few months -- unless you need to bump your credit rating for some reason. What I'm wondering, though, is why AAA offers this card for free. Or is it free? Is there some sort of fee they charge to issue or use the card that might end up costing what it would cost to use the credit card? Is your CC one of those that lets you build up cash back or airline points or some other thing that might make putting a bunch of charges on it a better deal?

Thinking outside the box, though, is your vacation itinerary set at two weeks? Would it be possible to shave a day or two off either end so you still get a good chunk of time away but don't have so much unpaid leave? Are there coupon deals or on-line offers (Groupons and such) you could use to drive down the cost further? And is it possible to view this from the perspective of your savings -- even after all this -- still leaving you X months of living expenses? If using 7% of your savings will give you the strength to work at putting back the 7% for another year or so, the vacation kind of won't have cost you anything.

jennipurrr
6-5-13, 10:17am
When I requested my vacation time way back in January, I needed to get 2000 service hours under my belt for the year in order to get my maximum amount for paid time off. Well, looking at the calendar back then I thought for sure I was playing it safe by going in mi-June, so I asked for two weeks off. I wasn't planning on injuring myself and missing six days of work back in March...it looks like I will be 12 hours short of fulfilling my 2000 service hours by the time June 14th rolls around, which means I am only getting 32 paid hours off and the rest of my vacation will be without pay!

Could you postpone your vacacation by a couple days or may shift it by two days and knock those 12 hours out before you go? Then that would be one less thing to worry about.

My husband went for years without insurance in his 20s and had a lot of dental work that built up over the 8 years between dentist visits. It was a lot hitting us at once when he started going. I think though in the long run just knowing where you stand health wise and getting those things taken care of that have been lingering problems is going to give you more relief in the long run.

I would spend the money rather than the cc. You will not have the interest charges and if something does happen, you still have the cc for backup.

frugalone
6-5-13, 10:43am
I would use savings to pay for it. I have a real horror of lingering credit card debt. Just MHO!
I hope you're able to get some help with the various health issues. My brother just had knee surgery for a torn meniscus. He was in a lot of pain before. Feel better soon, and enjoy your vacation! It sounds exciting!

SiouzQ.
6-5-13, 10:55am
No, I can't change any of the vacation dates - I work in a large department and the summer calendar has been closed to any changes for about two months now, as everybody wants to bail out during the summer. I need the full two weeks in order to get there and back from Michigan and have at least a week of hanging around Santa Fe. I though about sticking around closer to home but that is just not going to do it psychologically for me - I have had my heart set on going west for two years now and barring any drastic emergencies that would prevent me from doing this trip, I am going to stick with my original plan.

Steve, I will do some more checking on discounts and such for things, As it is, I am very frugal, even when traveling. I am willing to sleep in the car at rest areas a few times just to save on campground fees (my new car is VERY comfy!) and am in the process of searching out National Forest Service Campgrounds and State parks, which are MUCH cheaper than private campgrounds (however, there is a safety factor I am always aware of and am careful not to be in a too isolated area - I have to check out the general vibe of a place first. There are a lot of creeps out there). I bring all my food, or get stuff at grocery stores and maybe only eat one restaurant meal out.

The main expense of course will be gas. I heard yesterday that Michigan has the second highest gas prices in the country right now (we are hovering around $4.00 - $.15 gallon right now). I am hoping gas will get a little cheaper as I get further west. The second will be accommodations - camping isn't as cheap as it used to be; KOA's are downright expensive, even for tents! Probably around $25 per night, but at least you get all sort of anemeties (sp?) for that.

I am pretty good at roughing it though, it's all part of the adventure! I love how simple things are when car-camping and how little I really need to have a great time. I am checking out the open mic scene in Santa Fe using Craigslist and have a bunch of leads for various open mics I can go to and play and meet people.

The pre-paid debit card from AAA is in place of old-fashioned traveler's checks they used to issue, so there won't be any fees or interest piling up. I am thinking this is the way I will go for the bulk of the expenses, like gas and lodging. I will also carry some cash, and of course will have the regular credit card for anything else that comes up. I think I will feel better knowing the gas will be paid for as I go, instead seeing those charges racked up on my CC bill. I don't want to feel too disheartened when I get back to my real life and have to build up my reserves AND pay off a credit card bill.

jennipurrr
6-5-13, 11:32am
am in the process of searching out National Forest Service Campgrounds and State parks, which are MUCH cheaper than private campgrounds (however, there is a safety factor I am always aware of and am careful not to be in a too isolated area - I have to check out the general vibe of a place first. There are a lot of creeps out there).

Have you seen this site? It has a lot of the govt campgrounds in one place...I think someone here told me about it a few years ago!

http://www.recreation.gov/

We stayed in a forest service cabin at Glaicer Natl Park and it was rustic, but not bad at all, and SOOO much cheaper than other accomodations. It was totally isolated though and when we walked up there was bear poop in the yard. We were a little nervous the whole time we stayed. Never saw any bears at the cabin but we did see a lot of deer and even what we thought may have been a wolf, but more likely a coyote. We were flying in so couldn't bring our full camping gear, so the cabin worked out great. We stuffed our sleeping bags in and picked up a cheap cooler when we arrived for groceries.

Zoebird
6-5-13, 7:34pm
I would pay for it out of savings, personally.

razz
6-5-13, 11:42pm
SQ, you have the money so go and enjoy your vacation! Worry about tomorrow's $$$ problems in the future and enjoy the present.
ps- I hate spending money as well so had to develop a way of allowing myself to enjoy certain things like a trip to NYC or trips to plays.

chrisgermany
6-6-13, 3:48am
Could you offer car sharing against gas money for some part of the trip?
For example at craigslist or other places?
I did it quite often when I was a student and will do it again after ER, as I will no longer have a company car.

merince
6-6-13, 4:26pm
Since you are thinking about pre-paying or debit card, have you checked www.perkstreet.com (http://www.perkstreet.com) ? It's a debit card that offers 2% cash back, which on 1,000$ would give you about $20 savings.

Spartana
6-6-13, 6:16pm
I'd also pay with savings if possible. It will be a relief to come back without any debt hanging over your head. I also second the choice to go somewhere closer to home for all the reasons mentioned (and it'll mean less time sitting in the car driving long distances and moretime being able to "play" too) but the heart wants what the heart wants :-) so you should go where it leads even if it's further for your limited time and more expensive overall.

SiouzQ.
6-7-13, 11:05am
This seems to be a good as time as any to explain why it is so important for me to wander so far from home for my little adventure - it's my my parents fault, they started it! I got my wanderlust from them! As far back as I remember, they piled us kids into the back of the station wagon for a car-camping adventure and drove out west to explore all the National Parks. One of my earliest memories is camping in the Redwood forests and being at Disneyland (I wasn't even three and I have specific memories of this), Yosemite, Yellowstone, the Grand Canyon, Glacier National Park, etc. So all throughout the sixties and seventies we did these kinds of trips, three kids and the parents barreling down countless highways for hours and hours. Those three week road trips are my most cherished family memories.

They also got into white water rafting, so when I was old enough, I got to take some pretty intense rafting trips - the Middle Fork of the Salmon (there is a great story about this trip, the highlight being I very nearly drowned during a rafting accident). I wasn't deterred from rafting after that because the next year we went down the Colorado River for 10 days. It was so totally awesome!

Anyway, flash-forward to adulthood: I started taking my own little car-camping adventures in my twenties when I could. The first time I went camping out-of-state by myself I decided to go to Maine (in my first car, which was a 1974 orange Volkswagon Beetle)! These types of trips continued when I was married, though due to work schedule coordinating, we usually could only stick around Michigan (we often went up to the UP).

After I had my daughter and the subsequent divorce , our court-ordered visitation played a large role in me taking off for a few weeks to go out west - I had to let my daughter visit her dad for two weeks or so every summer (this was always fraught with terrible apprehension and fear on my part due to the situation I was in regarding the divorce settlement and her dad's unstable mental state, but there was nothing I could do, as it was a court-ordered agreement).

I learned over time to use those two weeks on my own as relief from being a single parent 24/7 for the remaining part of the year. My out west trips took on mythic proportions in my mind all year from the sheer anticipation of being able to be free to be myself with no one else to look after. Frankly, sometimes just thinking and planning my little adventures was the only thing I had to look forward to to get my mind off the daily survival of single parenthood, first dealing with a mentally ill ex-husband and then a mentally ill daughter.

Most of that heartache and strife have passed from my daily life, but I still use these trips as a way to reclaim myself, detox from daily life and experience beautiful, expansive scenery. Going east doesn't do it for me the same way going west does, and driving west has been ingrained in me for so long. I love the progression of getting from Point A to B to C, etc. I love it when I get through that certain part of Nebraska (NOT on I-80, usually somewhere on a two-laner) when all of the sudden I realize I feel like I am Out West! Little things in the land scape alert me - the way the sky opens up, the dryness, the scrubby foliage, the dusty small towns, ranches instead of bucolic, verdant farms, range land vs. corn fields, the foothills, then mountains. My heart quickens and I am sooooooo happy! I turn off the radio/CD and just drive and look and dream and relax! I'm never sure exactly where I am going to end up each evening and enjoy exploring the options. The unplanned aspect of my trips are very important as well - I don't have to have any one elses' input; I can do anything I want to (and do)!

This has been the only thing that really renews me - allowing myself to do exactly what I dream of doing- it is what makes me, ME! I have had some amazing insights, realizations, and spiritual experiences on these adventures when I am in nature with only exactly what I need (which really isn't much). I have written songs and gotten many other creative ideas from this time by myself away from home. I absolutely NEED the physical distance, that is essential to this experience.

There was a time when I could do this every year, but I am afraid with gas prices and other financial concerns, this might end up being every two years in the future. I didn't get to go anywhere very far last summer (I went to Lake Michigan twice) because of switching jobs, so I feel like my psyche really need this and that is why I am willing to spend so much money on it. I know when I get back I will be ready to once again go back to my regular life and start the savings process all over again.

rosarugosa
6-8-13, 6:34am
SiouzQ: That was positively eloquent! I hope your trip lives up to your expectations. You clearly are not self-indulgent, and it sounds like your trip is a well-considered expenditure.