PDA

View Full Version : Where should we go? Soliticing ideas for international travel

RosieTR
6-6-13, 11:34pm
One of our long-term goals is to do more travel, and it's been many years since we visited another country. I would like to plan and save for about a year or so, but I would also like to choose where to go soon. This will make it easier to save, but also I would like to pick somewhere with a language other than English so we can make it a priority to have a sort of working knowledge of the language before we go, and then both know some of another language. Possibly I would like to do a week long language school and then another week (or more but doubt we could swing much more vacation or pet sitting) to see whatever sites while practicing the language. I am seeking opinions/advice of where to go but will also share a little of our preferences:
1. Germany. We have never been to Europe but know someone who lives in Germany (an exchange student my parents hosted about a year ago, so more than vaguely but not an extremely close, spend-a-week-with-me relationship either). Also, DH *loves* beer and brews beer. I would not be opposed to this plan, but it's maybe 2nd or 3rd on my list of places I'd love to visit, because to me the physical features don't seem as great (ie no special mountains though this is likely due more to my ignorance than the actual lack). I'm not sure what time of year would be best if we did choose this.
2. Italy or Spain. Continuing on the Europe theme, these are places I'd put pretty close to the top of the list, especially Italy. I'm way more of a foodie than DH so a great food area is way high on my list. A big draw for me also with Italy is hiking/climbing the Dolomites. Additionally or alternatively we are dive certified so might consider diving in the Mediterranean.
3. Switzerland/Austria. This would be the ultimate because we would want to do a traverse of the Alps, and probably also make a pilgrimage to/near the Matterhorn, since a friend of ours died in a climbing accident there 5 years ago. This seems like the most expensive trip, but one I would be most likely to take if money were no object and I didn't consider other things like language.
4. Peru or Chile. Macchu Picchu or some of the Andes climbs would be high on our bucket list as well, but I would have to do more research. Food and drink is not much of a draw, and we've already been to Central America so it seems less of a new continent thing. OTOH, it may be less expensive than any Europe trip with a better selection (or an affordable selection) of language schools.

As for our current language skills/ideals: I speak a bit of Spanish, kind of the "tourist" level. I could explain and understand very simple things, such as finding a type of food or ordering in a restaurant. DH knows far less, just a few phrases. He could ask where the bathroom is, and what beer costs but may not understand the answer. DH knows a very little bit of German (I'm not sure how much-a few years in school many years ago so maybe not much more than his Spanish). I know no German and only a tiny bit of French-about what DH knows of German perhaps. Spanish is easiest to learn because we both have some background, and a few friends and relatives nearby who speak well or fluent Spanish. OTOH, in some ways it might be nice to start from scratch because I may be able to listen in the car...I couldn't find a good intermediate Spanish for the car: either way too simple and boring or too advanced. I have a German friend and there may be meetups nearby for conversation groups. I suck at French so I'm not terribly interested in revisiting that. DH speaks none, but I again have some friends who speak it, including my parents' next door neighbor.

So, I am interested especially to hear of anyone who has gone to any of these places recently. Why did you go? What do you wish you had done/known? Have you wanted to go to any of these and looked into it, and either didn't go or not yet? Why? Do you have any other thoughts? We are in the very earliest stages of planning so really, I'm hoping to get inspired to research more thoroughly, a realistic idea of costs and hey, everyone likes talking about past trips or vacation dreams so let 'er rip! :D

RosieTR
6-6-13, 11:35pm
I should add that we do already have passports and time is ticking on them!

Zoebird
6-7-13, 12:43am
Asia is actually extremely inexpensive and extremely diverse. Here, going to Vietnam, Laos and Thailand is a fun, affordable trip.

But if I were to choose of those three, I'd go to south america. :D

Selah
6-7-13, 9:43am
I personally love Italy and cannot wait to get back there. In fact, I've been working on DH to make a trip there happen for my 50th birthday, which comes up in (yikes!) three years. Any amount of time and effort you take to learn the language before you go will be returned 1000-fold to you in regards to your enjoyment of the place, but I travelled there with only a tiny smattering of Italian and adored each and every second of it. My two trips there just inspired me to figure out a way to incorporate Italian culture into my own life through a commercial business venture, although I have yet to figure it out! :)

iris lilies
6-7-13, 10:07am
We've gone to Switzerland a few times over the past decades. In fact I remember finding this SL website and then taking off to Switzerland a week or so later back in 2001.

Here is Appenzell!

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4506096060204523&pid=15.1
Anyway, it's lovely! My favorite places have included Appenzell, a mountain town of 5,000 people. DH's family is from that region and we stayed there for a few days. It has one of those olde towne centers where all of the streets are ziggy zaggy and I wandered around for a few days before I got the hang of which street ended up where. The architecture is wonderful. A woman who lives in a 16th century mansion invited us in to tour her house! That was just astonishing. They have a monthly market which includes livestock. The other city I loved was Lucerne. It's beautiful, on a lake, and there are several small museums. It's just a pretty place and is very walkable.

In 2001 DH's parents paid for 20+ people in their family to go to Switzerland. We stayed with my Mother in Law's relatives (she had 11 siblings!) and they took us around, fed us, and provided a great deal of hospitality. They organized a 1 day bus tour for everyone where we saw many sights in Switzerland and Lichtgenstein. We stayed in the Rhine Valley. We've been back there a couple of times (one time to carry MIL'S ashes to be buried there) and stayed with an aunt who lives on the Austrian border so one evening we walked over to that country to get our passports stamped "Austria" and walked the half mile back. I prefer the Valley to the mountains, but I did love Appenzell.

In all of the times we've been to Switzerland, we've not been to the big cities (Geneva or Zurich) except to fly in or out. I just wasn't interested in the big city experience. The mid sized cities are lovely. I enjoyed St. Gallen quite a lot as well.

I can't see that Germany would cost that much less than Switzerland. Go to Switzerland!!!!!!

SteveinMN
6-7-13, 10:17am
I've been to Germany three times, Italy twice, and Spain once. I would go back to any one of those countries in a heartbeat, though there are many other places I'd like to visit which I haven't yet visited.

One suggestion I would make is that one week of vacation really does not do any of these countries justice. On our second-most-recent trip to Italy, we stayed a week and visited Como (northern lake area by Switzerland), Milan, and Venice. We felt we'd barely scratched the surface of any of those places. We did not see Florence (on our itinerary but dropped when the airline misplaced our luggage), Rome, or Sicily. So we barely scratched the surface of the entire country.

n.b. that there will be dialects of the official language wherever you go. On one visit to Germany, we stayed in the Black Forest where people spoke Schwäbisch. The joke in the Black Forest is that they can do anything but speak standard German. :D We got around, but even with years of learning German, it was difficult. Similarly, in Spain, Barcelona is a great place to visit, both for cultural and seaside reasons, but they speak Catalan, with enough different sounds to throw off someone used to speaking, say, Mexican Spanish or standard Spanish. I am by no means saying don't go there; just know that you'll spend a little more time understanding and making yourself understood regardless of how much of the standard language you learn before you go. Or perhaps that you should tailor your learning to the dialect most prevalent wherever you plan to spend the most time.

As for where to go, all of the choices you mentioned are good. Japan might be another choice: different language, not too far away, Mount Fuji and the mountains of Hokkaido, wonderful food, and some decent beer. Maybe DH could learn to love sake. :)

[EDIT] My personal bucket list includes Japan (again) and Sweden/Norway/Denmark. Love Scandinavian people, design, geography, weather, ...

RosieTR
6-10-13, 11:10pm
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm not too interested in Asia for some reason, so more going to concentrate on Europe or S America. I realize 2 weeks is pretty short but those are our constraints so we'll have to make the best of it. Because of that, I don't expect or want to see "the whole country" but rather have some goal or area we get to know in a little more depth. I know what I'd like to do if we choose Switzerland or Peru, not as clear goals for the other options. I would like to really get some good language practice in, as well as getting a sense of the culture and maybe getting to know a few people a bit. We will keep thinking and talking about it. It's nice to hear people's stories (and see pics, Iris!)!

fidgiegirl
6-10-13, 11:23pm
I believe Mendoza, Argentina has language schools, but not sure. At least in Latin America the language schools tend to cluster so there will be a lot in one city. Antigua, Guatemala and Cuernavaca, Mexico spring to mind as well. Though I'd personally be leery of Mexico right now, and hey, it wasn't on your list, anyway. ;) Oh, and Costa Rica for language schools, though not on your list either. I do not have firsthand experience with Peru or Chile, though I've heard both are lovely. I'd also be willing to consider Colombia at this time. I hear it is amazing.

I spent six months in Buenos Aires in 1999 and it was beautiful. Expensive, though. I saw several corners of the country and it with its size, it is a great candidate for just choosing a city and staying there - you pretty much have to fly to all the main attractions around the country.

I am not sure to be honest if you can fly to South America for cheaper than Europe. At least from the Twin Cities one cannot.

One more idea, though I have no leads for you: some kind of voluntourism would be great. That would give you a super opportunity to practice your language skills. Apart from churches, I just don't know how you'd get hooked up with an opportunity, though.

Last point in case you decide to go to Peru - Macchu Picchu tourism is being limited. Look into bookings far ahead of time. My boss is there as we "speak!" She said it was a miracle they got anything as it was relatively last minute. They are not camping as they had wanted to, but they will get to see the site itself.

sweetana3
6-11-13, 5:24am
Right now if I had to choose, a fishing/tourist town on the coast of France would be interesting. There are rentals of small apartment like dwellings and food is easy to get and fairly inexpensive. A friend sent me a bunch of listings last year when she was planning on staying awhile. The English do this a lot.

Appenzell is wonderful. We got to go to the canton annual fair one year and it is the highlight of our trip.

Really no where in Europe is language going to be much of an issue.

frugal-one
6-11-13, 2:05pm
Peru is amazing.... Machu Picchu is a must see and the Pisac market http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g294320-d313937-Reviews-Pisac_Market-Pisaq_Sacred_Valley_Cusco_Region.html. Cusco oh my.... the Andes are gorgeous. Tambopata Eco Lodge.... get there by going down the Amazon basin ... ... to see wildlife! http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g488184-d1036370-Reviews-Tambopata_Eco_Lodge-Tambopata_National_Reserve_Madre_de_Dios_Region.ht ml

Florence
6-11-13, 6:37pm
Our all time favorite trip was Italy. It was really very inexpensive but that was in 2001; I don't know if it is still that inexpensive.

puglogic
6-14-13, 4:14pm
Rosie, you might consider something that combines your interests, like this (making up your own itinerary by studying others): http://www.beertrips.com/trips/italy.htm I'll bet there are similar itineraries you could make in Spain, where the microbrew business is starting to take off as well.

My husband and I are involved with beer, and spent time in Belgium, which was brewer and foodie heaven. But my eyes are on an agriturismo vacation in Italy. There is one that has several events a year, from wine study to cooking from the farm markets to making salumi. Add in some kind of beer-related side trip, and you've got the makings of a terrific time.

Rosemary
6-14-13, 5:11pm
Oh, I do love going to Germany and getting around entirely on foot and by train. Those little towns, all walkable, separated by forest, fields, vineyards - that is the essence of simple living to me. Love to visit my cousins there and be immersed in the lifestyle, too, which also celebrates the simple things - a beautifully-set table, foods of the highest quality, flowers everywhere -- for instance, even window boxes at the train station! I have been hankering to go back there of late. Last time we were there I made a long list of the things that make each day there such an absolute treat for me. I try to bring these things to our everyday life here but... well, life seems to get in the way. It is difficult to slow to their pace when I am here.

The language is not a big barrier. If you need to communicate, ask a kid over the age of 10 or 12 and up through college age. They likely all speak English very well. The trains are fabulous and easy to navigate. Beauty, everywhere. If I had a week to spend in Germany, I'd fly in/out of Munich and take the train from there. Can give you more ideas if you like.

RosieTR
6-15-13, 2:31pm
Thanks for the suggestions! I will look into some of the beer trip ideas ;) I hadn't thought about it before but maybe there's some sort of volunteering we could do in instead/in addition. That would make things very local with a good chance to get to know a locality better than just "touring". Also possibly less expensive. An ideal one would be in some sort of mountains, esp since I have some outdoor restoration and trail work volunteer experience and hope to get more. No idea if this is a "thing" in Europe or parts of S America, but now I have some stuff to research. Fun to think about! I can't even imagine how cool it would be help build a trail in the Alps or Andes....

fidgiegirl
6-15-13, 2:40pm
Outdoor volunteering - REI will have this kind information on store websites for local areas. I wonder if they have links to any international opportunities.

Spartana
6-15-13, 3:05pm
Haven't read all the response yet but a member of this forum recently went to a 5 week language school in Cabo San Lucas Mexico and had a great experience. He rented a lovely apt for the month and walked to the school everyday. Got very involved with the locals and community. Had free time to explore the area. I will e-mail him asap (can't make the e mail on my tablet computer work so it'll be awhile) and see if he will post his blog about it here. Looked great. In Mexico they generally teach castillian Spanish but if you go to a Spanish language school in Spain - especially around Barcelona - it may be in Catalon Spanish which is very different. I lived in Catalonia for almost a year (in a small beach town called L'Estartit) north of Barcelona and highly recommend it as a place to visit and they do have Castilian Spanish classes in Barcelona. My favorite town there in Gerona - but the whole of Spain is great. I like the Costa Brava the best but really anywhere is great. I love all of Europe and if you have time, getting a Eurail pass and staying at low cost hostels and pensions is the way to go to travel thru Europe. Or by bike would be great. You might also want to check out vacation house or apt rentals if you plan to stay in one area. They are very reasonable in the off season - which is the best time to go IMHO.

fidgiegirl
6-15-13, 4:07pm
Hey Rosie, I was indulging myself in some book browsing at the library and lookee what I checked out! Hope it can help you, looks pretty interesting!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51vjNbMlOBL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Full item details here. (http://www.amazon.com/Frommers-Places-Where-Make-Difference/dp/0470160616/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371326809&sr=8-1&keywords=500+places+where+you+can+help)

happystuff
6-17-13, 4:37pm
I went to Interlaken, Switzerland about 20 years ago. Wonderful trip! Was there a week or two after the winter season tourist season ended, yet before the summer season. Some people, but not many. At one point, we were the only guests in the small inn and the owner bought out a bottle of wine and some board games one night. Very personal and cozy. Rented a car and went on day excursions, so saw a lot of the surrounding country and into a couple of the cities. Even managed to ski a swiss alp! Can't remember the costs, but since it was so long ago - probably wouldn't be of any use.

Good luck and have fun planning!

Rosemary
6-17-13, 6:41pm
Oh! Can't think of what it's called but there is a bike trail through the Rheinland in Germany that gives you a tour of the vineyards. Beautiful area, lots of excellent local foods.
http://www.bad-bergzaberner-land.de/radfahrland/radweg-deutsche-weinstrasse.html --- here it is. About 80 km total distance; the towns are listed at the bottom of this page.
http://www.deutsche-weinstrasse.de/

SvenV
7-6-13, 11:54am
Hi,

I can say the same like frugal-one.... Peru is amazing and Machu Picchu and the sacred valley a real must see! I love the whole South america continent. There are so many interesting places and cities to visit, like Rio, Quit, Buenos Aires, Foz do Iguaza Falls, Bogota, Cartagena, Galapagos Island, the amazon rainforest and so on and on....

It is a great continent with fantastic delicious food (oh I just remember the delicious steaks I ate in Argentina, mmmm and the wine;) ), amazing people, very interesting culture and traditions. If you speak a little spanish then it is no problem to get around.

For me the Lonely Planet site is a great help: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/south-america
and also here I get many ideas of possible travel and trips: www.e-njoy.us/travel/

I wish you a very nice and pleasant trip, enjoy it where ever you go....