PDA

View Full Version : How much creedence do you put in Chakras?

Sad Eyed Lady
7-4-13, 10:28am
I took an online chakra test the other day and received a report via email. I did this just for fun and didn't expect to find out anything really, but when I received the report I had to go "WOW!". Either the questions I answered revealed things more fully than I thought, or it was a very close coincidence. I have never looked into the subject much, although I had a massage therapist who sometimes told me she was going to "balance your chakras". Would love to hear your take on this.

iris lilies
7-4-13, 11:58am
Not sure which hocus pocus thingy-mabob that is, but I would say: 0 credibility.

Alan
7-4-13, 12:27pm
I'd be careful with those chakra's, when Al Gore had his released, Tipper threw him out.

redfox
7-4-13, 1:31pm
Chakras are simply a different system for describing aspects of our body. Different cultures have different descriptors, this one comes from India, and the chakras corrospond to major systems points in the physical body i.e., arteries, veins and nerves. The Hindus use these points to describe energy flow, and this is used in some spiritual practices. It's the spiritual practices that are the believe or not part. Chinese medicine has a different vocabulary for these points. I imagine there are other cultures that do as well.

bae
7-4-13, 2:40pm
+1 to Redfox.

I have been seriously practicing a Chinese martial art for 35ish years now. It has a substantial "internal" component - think along the lines of "chi kung".

I am a very rational, non-woo-woo'y sort of guy. Nonetheless, I find these descriptors useful visualization and instructional tools. And there's clearly *something* going on with the terrain under the map - if I use pressure on the various places, I can cause harm or healing, or trigger emotions.

And on Alan's observation - this sort of thing is indeed very helpful in Taoist and Tantric sexual practices as well. But we don't have a forum here to go into detail on that :-)

Zoebird
7-4-13, 5:25pm
those quizzes are funny.

traditionally speaking, it doesn't just correspond to the physical body (though it does) and the energetic body -- but also other concepts of "body" that those traditional people's have.

You might like Wheels of Life by Anodea Judith. It's a good book on the topic. :)

bUU
7-5-13, 7:27am
I'm not convinced about any significant ability to directly manipulate the physical with the mental, but (a) clearly one's mental state has some influence on their physical state [i.e., sick with worry]; and (b) I think it should be very obvious that the mental can be very readily manipulated by the mental. A great deal of what's involved in such intention-based practice is such mental reconciliation, and I know from personal experience that such intention-based practice can not only help one relieve mental stress, but that doing so can help relieve physical manifestations of that stress.

JaneV2.0
7-5-13, 10:32am
A relevant book is Healing and the Mind, by Bill Moyers. A relevant quote is "The job of the physician is to amuse the patient while the body heals itself."
Voltaire

catherine
7-5-13, 10:53am
A relevant book is Healing and the Mind, by Bill Moyers. A relevant quote is "The job of the physician is to amuse the patient while the body heals itself."
Voltaire

Great quote! Love it.

I just read my first Caroline Myss book (the "medical intuitive") and one of her things is chakras. I did a chakra test once and I found it kind of interesting. I do have to admit that whatever method you use to get your juices flowing in terms of meditation/intention/chakra, it does work.

peggy
7-5-13, 11:15am
I'm not convinced about any significant ability to directly manipulate the physical with the mental, but (a) clearly one's mental state has some influence on their physical state [i.e., sick with worry]; and (b) I think it should be very obvious that the mental can be very readily manipulated by the mental. A great deal of what's involved in such intention-based practice is such mental reconciliation, and I know from personal experience that such intention-based practice can not only help one relieve mental stress, but that doing so can help relieve physical manifestations of that stress.

I don't know about that. bio-feedback is a very real, useful part of healing/controlling pain. Studied and used by REAL SCIENTIST...really. It's an interesting field of science that we are just beginning to explore. The whole mind/ body thing, actually.
I'm not sure what chakras are, but I'm guessing it's along these lines.

bUU
7-5-13, 11:33am
As I mentioned, while there isn't clear evidence of direct manipulation, there is evidence of mental practices affecting mental processes, and that impact on the mental processes then having physical manifestations. That's generally what you're seeing with biofeedback, and why biofeedback is most useful things like pain management, and many stress-related maladies, such as incontinence, high blood pressure, etc.

bae
7-5-13, 2:33pm
I'm not convinced about any significant ability to directly manipulate the physical with the mental,...

On emergency medical calls, I have frequently observed that when someone arrives on-scene that the patient knows and trusts, there is a significant drop on blood pressure, heart rate, and respiration rate. The machine-that-goes-ping shows it directly on the readouts, and it's a pretty quick effect.

redfox
7-5-13, 3:19pm
As I mentioned, while there isn't clear evidence of direct manipulation, there is evidence of mental practices affecting mental processes, and that impact on the mental processes then having physical manifestations. That's generally what you're seeing with biofeedback, and why biofeedback is most useful things like pain management, and many stress-related maladies, such as incontinence, high blood pressure, etc.

Biofeedback, among other strategies like hypnosis, are quite direct. I wonder if I have misunderstood what you mean by "directly manipulate the physical with the mental"? How do you see what first takes place in the brain as not a part of the physical body?

JaneV2.0
7-5-13, 3:19pm
The mind and body are inextricably connected. Neuropeptides are the "molecules of emotion," and they're found throughout the body.

Tussiemussies
7-6-13, 2:28am
I believe in Chakras. It is where the energy comes into our bodies from a higher source. If one of mine is unbalanced I can feel it right away and it is negative energy that gets stuck in them. So it is best to aim not to be negative. You can learn to observe situations and not react or not to have an opinion which stems from the ego self. I work on a regular basis with a man, David Furlong who clears me when I need it. I am extremely sensitive so I feel other's negativity which then effects me. I am trying to learn how to clear myself but your spiritual energy has to be really high in order to do it...welli I keep perserving.

bUU
7-6-13, 6:10am
The mind and body are inextricably connected. Neuropeptides are the "molecules of emotion," and they're found throughout the body.
I doubt bae and Redfox were talking about the manipulation of neuropeptides. Like I said, I'm not convinced that there is direct manipulation of, say, blood pressure going on. I believe that it is an indirect mechanism. Can it happen rapidly? Sure. Directly? Doubtful.

pony mom
7-6-13, 10:11pm
Reiki focuses on the chakras. When I perform Reiki on someone I can feel more energy flowing in the chakra that's blocked. Or in an area that needs it, although it flows where it's needed wherever you're working.

There's stuff out there that can't be proved by science, which makes alternative therapies so fascinating. Reflexology is another one.

nswef
7-7-13, 9:37am
I have a meditation tape that is on Chakras, I bought beads to make a manipulative string for me to keep focus while using the tape. I find it calming and truly think I can feel things moving. However, I was wary of the Chakra test which had all the emails that came to help me for a fee.

My meditation tapes are Gael Chiarella Am & pm meditations published by Gaiam. I got them from the library first, but liked them so much I bought them. One is a chakra. The PM can be used in the morning....can't tell you how long I waited to use them because I thought they were only for the night. Pretty literal person here.

I have had reiki here at a Unity church, and a lovely "soul clearing" in Carefree, AZ ( yep, a real place!) . I have had reflexology pretty regularly for a couple of years mainly for aching feet...So, I do believe there is a definite mind body connection and whatever you can use to get things flowing is good for you.

Sad Eyed Lady
7-7-13, 10:25am
Reiki focuses on the chakras. When I perform Reiki on someone I can feel more energy flowing in the chakra that's blocked. Or in an area that needs it, although it flows where it's needed wherever you're working.

That explains why my massage therapist sometimes balanced my chakras - she was a Reiki instructor.