PDA

View Full Version : System Tool Virus: I guess it's going around

Life_is_Simple
2-28-11, 7:08pm
A week ago, I had my first computer Virus. :0!

My techno-geek buddy helped me get rid of it. Apparently the "System Tool" virus has hit a lot of people. It makes the Desktop turn all "1s" and "0s", and pretends like it is a tool that can protect you from viruses - when it is itself a virus! It keeps other software from running.

I had to look online for the fix, which was to start the computer in Safe Mode, then download an "Anti-Malware" program to root out the evil virus files. :devil:

Apparently, some people will believe that it is a legitimate anti-virus program, and send them money. :doh:

Anyway... I felt soiled at first, but I am ok now!!
:cool:

Mrs-M
2-28-11, 7:30pm
So happy to hear you are back on track again LIS! I hereby pass you the torch, run with it! http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww173/prestonjjrtr/Smileys%20Holidays/bf-olympicrunsmiley.gif

pony mom
3-2-11, 10:10pm
I had that virus last year. As a complete computer newbie, I had no idea how to start in safe mode. After some (often interrupted) googling, I found that doing a System Restore to an earlier date before you caught the virus, then installing Anti-Malware works too. It caught 2 viruses!!

iris lily
3-2-11, 10:17pm
Beginning last fall we've have nothing but malware invasions. I've ready to get a MAc.

Rosemary
3-2-11, 11:26pm
I had 2 similar viruses on my Vista system in January. They almost completely took over the computer and it was difficult to get rid of them. I think we ended up doing a system restore to remove everything. After that, I installed "NoScript" on Firefox - I'm fairly certain that the viruses came from web pages that I thought were ok. Anyway, we haven't had any since.

You don't need to buy a Mac to avoid the viruses - you can also run Linux.

Life_is_Simple
3-6-11, 11:24am
Rosemary - I also installed NoScript. It's interesting to see what kind of flash-scripts are behind the scenes on certain webpages.