PDA

View Full Version : Turkish salad

ashem37
7-11-13, 8:56am
We got 5 ripe garden tomatoes in our CSA basket yesterday, so I made my favorite summer salad. I forgot how delicious this Turkish salad is and how incredibly simple it is to make, so I thought I'd share the recipe.

http://themoviechef.com/From%20Russia%20With%20Love/tmc_Chopped%20Turkish%20Salad.php

Sumac is a nice addition too.

Gardenarian
7-11-13, 6:56pm
I'm going to try this! I'm sick of my lettuce-tomato-cucumber. Thanks!

Tiam
7-11-13, 7:15pm
I've never had sumac. Or fenugreek.

ashem37
7-12-13, 11:28am
I don't think I've had fenugreek either, but I bought some sumac after eating at a Turkish restaurant. It's kind of lemony.

Tiam
7-13-13, 11:37pm
I'm going to try this! I'm sick of my lettuce-tomato-cucumber. Thanks!

I just made cucumber/tomato sandwiches, with dill/lemon and sun ripened tomatoes on Dave's whole grain. Dave's is an awesome bread, but too heavy for these, I felt. Sometimes a really good white bread is the best thing, because it lets other flavors shine through. It's weird that way. Like a tuna sandwich needs to be whole grain, but blt's are better on sourdough, and tea sandwiches are better on white. Although smoked turkey on raisin bread sounds yummy.

msr.marrykay
7-22-13, 11:04pm
This is so simple but seems easy to get a nice salad dish!

Ingredients:
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 mild onion (I'm not sure about 'mild' in this case so I put an ordinary onion, chopped.)
- 3 colors of bell peppers
- 1 cucumber
- 1 bunch of parley
- 2 spoons of olive oil
- 1 lemon (I also added a half of lime.)
- salt and pepper for seasoning.

The result is nice. Everyone love it. I didn't have sumac but added some pitted dry berry, instead.

Tiam
7-23-13, 1:11am
I've got stuff for fattoush, which is refreshing. I put a drizzle of olive oil on top.

ashem37
7-23-13, 7:50am
I'm so glad you enjoyed it, msr.marrykay! The sumac is certainly not necessary, but fresh, garden tomatoes make this dish SO much better. Drinking the juice from the tomatoes is better than dessert (almost).

catherine
7-23-13, 7:52am
Thank you! This salad is totally right up my alley. We grow tomatoes and cucumber and flat leaf parsley, and I love bell peppers.. I've been trying to find time to make gazpacho, but maybe I'll just go with this "deconstructed" one!