PDA

View Full Version : Looking for recommendation on shoes

Tradd
7-20-13, 11:25am
I'm going to be visiting a friend in LA in November. We'll be spending most of our time in NOLA, doing a lot of walking. I need a new pair of shoes to break in before the trip. I prefer Mary Jane styles, as I have fit issues and the strap helps keep the shoes on my feet (I generally walk out of slip on shoes). I want closed toe, not sandals. I prefer to not wear socks (I hate socks). My budget is around $100.

Thanks!:)

ETA: I'm only looking for black shoes.

Float On
7-20-13, 12:07pm
I'm a huge fan of Clarks. I have high arches and have had planter fasciitis in the past. Clarks are always what I wore to art shows where I'd be standing for 10-14 hours. They have some new fall styles out right now that look like your describing in black or brown.

JaneV2.0
7-20-13, 1:49pm
+1 They used to be pretty dowdy, but they have (slightly) more fashionable styles now.

rosarugosa
7-20-13, 3:37pm
I just bought a pair of Clark's: black, casual, Mary Jane style shoes for $60. at their Outlet store in Tilton, NH, so you may very well find what you want from them. Naturalizer is another brand that might have what you seek. Good luck!

Merski
7-20-13, 5:03pm
Look into Keens. They are pretty cool!

redfox
7-20-13, 5:06pm
Dansko is my fav shoe brand. Enjoy your trip! Bonus patent leather if that's your preference...

http://www.dansko.com/Womens/Footwear/Collections/Stapled%20Clog/Maryjane/Black%20Patent/

Simplemind
7-20-13, 5:32pm
I spend a lot of time on my feet both stationary and walking. My faves are Clarks, Naot, Rieker, Dansko and Teva.

Tussiemussies
7-20-13, 5:39pm
I get the Footsmart catalogue which does have a lot of Clark's shoes and also orthopedic remedies for foot problems. I browsed briefly on the first page and didn't see what you were looking for, but there were many pages...

http://www.footsmart.com/Womens-Casual-Shoes

fidgiegirl
7-20-13, 6:30pm
I like Ariat or Merrell.

Lyno
7-21-13, 9:16am
I live in my Birkenstocks when not at work. I try the others, but always come back to Birkenstock. I purchase mine new on ebay for a song.

Rosemary
7-21-13, 11:11am
Borns, here. I am wearing out a pair that is the most comfortable I've ever owned, and they happen to be a Mary Jane style, very cute. There was no break-in period with them, either, and they are perfect for my wide feet.

JaneV2.0
7-21-13, 12:32pm
http://www.qvc.com/CatalogSearch?langId=-1&storeId=10251&catalogId=10151&keyword=clarks+mary+janes

A nice assortment here.

Sad Eyed Lady
7-21-13, 1:26pm
Earth shoes - if I can find a good deal. I love mine and they are super comfortable. For tennis shoes I like New Balance.

Gardenarian
7-21-13, 4:49pm
I like Keen brand for walking. My feet are very wide at the toes, and they have a nice big toe box. I also have high arches and I find them very supportive. No break in time, very cushy, and great non slip soles.

Azure
7-21-13, 7:33pm
I have a new pair of Merrells that I love. I was surprised that I do because the in-sole doesn't have much cushion. And also I thought that my big toes were too close to the ends when I tried them on. But that has not been as issue at all. They are very light. I also have a pair of Dansko clogs that are my go to shoes when I need to revive some sore feet. Birks are good also for. I have a pair of adorable Born clogs that are also very comfortable.

I have been dealing with foot issues for a few years now so I am kind of picky. I wish I could wear my clogs at work.

gail_d
7-21-13, 10:02pm
After finding Clark's Mary Jane shoes, I got rid of all my other shoes that hurt my feet. I have several different styles/colors and love how I can walk for hours in them. Lots of support. Some are the Wave model. I tried a pair of Borns but they pinch a bit.

befree
7-22-13, 9:42pm
I love both Clark's and Orthaheel mary janes. Just last week I bought Orthaheel's Arcadia Mary Janes in olive color from www.6pm.com for about $28 total. What a bargain! These have *lots* of arch support and are incredibly comfortable. I usually wear a wide width, but the adjustable Velcro strap really customizes the fit to make even a regular width comfortable for me. www.6pm.com also has lots of styles of Clark's mary janes, all well under $100. I've heard that Merrells are great shoes, but I just don't want to spend over $100 or more, now that I've found Orthaheels and Clarks. Have fun on your trip!

catherine
7-24-13, 11:27am
So, I happen to be in downtown Seattle this week on business (hello, redfox & Jane and all you other Seattle people!)

I passed a walking-shoe store called Mephisto. I know nothing about them, but the shoes reminded me exactly of what you're looking for. Good support Mary-Jane style shoes. http://www.zappos.com/mephisto-lilou-perfore-stone-nubuck?zfcTest=fcl%3A0

The downside is they look like they're pretty expensive.

JaneV2.0
7-24-13, 11:41am
The best shoe store in Seattle, IMO, is Woolly Mammoth in the U district. Its shoes are the kind I like--as wide as they are long, including Dansko, Merrell, Chaco, Josef Seibel, Ecco, Keen, Frye, Clarks, and Birkenstock.