PDA

View Full Version : Canning meatless pasta sauce

Merski
8-20-13, 7:19am
Does anyone boiling water can (as opposed to pressure can) pasta sauce with lots of veggies in it? We're thinking this year to put crumbled beef or pork in it at serving. Thanks!

Kestra
8-20-13, 8:12am
This probably isn't helpful, but I just freeze it. It's easier and I know it's safe. From what I've heard, with lots of veggies it's probably not acidic enough to not pressure can, but I'm not a canner, yet.

razz
8-20-13, 11:31am
What Kestra said.

Merski
8-20-13, 3:03pm
We like to freeze an can. Something about putting all your eggs in one basket;)

Blackdog Lin
8-21-13, 8:55pm
(disclaimer alert) I am not in any way a canning expert. But we've been canning tomato products for many years, and I have 3 food-preservation reference books I use every garden season.

My research says no, you shouldn't water-bath a veggie-based pasta sauce, you should pressure-can. The books I have say that you need to pick a method based on ALL the ingredients in the sauce, and peppers and onions etc. should be pressure-canned.

That said, we water-bath can our picante sauce, full of peppers and onions, but our recipe also includes cups of vinegar, which makes the (ph.? acid?) content safe for water-bath canning.

Gregg
8-22-13, 11:50am
We water bath our sauce, but it only has a little bit of onion, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano and basil all pureed in it. In essence its a pasta sauce base more than an actual sauce because we like to add veggies in fresh so they have some crunch. We also add a tablespoon of lemon juice to each jar to boost the acidity, plus we like the brighter flavor. If we added anything else to the sauce, as we have in the past, or if there is any doubt at all we would pressure can it. Better safe than sorry because botulism is a nasty deal.

Tussiemussies
8-22-13, 1:32pm
You should reference "The Ball Blue Book" for canning. This is the only book I trust and is the Bible of canning so to say... Good luck!

Gardenarian
8-24-13, 3:24pm
I helped my neighbor with this. She turns the jars upside down after processing - says she's been doing it this way for over 50 years. No citric acid or lemon juice.
Still, I have my worries.

herbgeek
8-24-13, 4:53pm
I would be worried too Gardenarian. Tomatoes don't have nearly the acidity that they did 50 years ago, and was fine in an earlier time is just scary now.