PDA

View Full Version : Who might be interested in a slide rule?

razz
8-20-13, 6:09pm
I am sorting through so much stuff trying to declutter and found DH's old slide rule that he used in the 60's. He loved it so I hope to find a home that would appreciate it as much as he did as am electrical technologist. Who might want such a thing? Some other electrical gadgetry as well. Is it just junk these days?

Rosemary
8-20-13, 6:51pm
Any friends, kids of friends, nieces, nephews in the sciences? They might be interested in it as a remembrance and an artifact of their fields. My husband, who loves everything about math and physics, has a small collection of slide rules and really enjoys seeing the different designs and materials from which they were made.

herbgeek
8-20-13, 9:28pm
I lost my slide rule along the way. I was the last class in high school physics who was required to use one. After me, kids got to use calculators, which at the time were ridiculously huge and expensive.

SteveinMN
8-20-13, 9:53pm
Heh. Still have mine.... :|(

shadowmoss
8-21-13, 3:53am
I have mine as well. And yes, I learned to use it in high school physics class.

redfox
8-21-13, 3:20pm
A friend kept his in his car to calculate mileage. I always wondered how he did that...

frugalone
8-21-13, 3:25pm
I'm laughing because when my dad had one, and I was a child, I used to put his slide rule on my shoulder and pull the slide and make screechy violin sounds.