PDA

View Full Version : Pressure canning

Merski
3-6-11, 7:27am
Have only water bath canned in the past and am wondering what I can can with a pressure canner to justify purchase. I'd love to freeze some pasta sauce and also can it. Also applesauce. any other ideas? We prefer frozen veggies to canned.

razz
3-6-11, 8:41am
We can green/wax beans for bean salad, lots of salsa, tomatoes, applesauce enough for two years at a time and love it. IMO, some things are not calculated by return on investment if the cost is modest but on safety and security - like food.

Merski
3-6-11, 10:58am
I do want some stuff longer-lived than the freezer and can be available during power outages. Just trying to be more flexible about food storage rather than freezing. Thanks!

Nella
3-6-11, 10:58am
Before you consider purchasing a pressure canner.... Have you thought about seeing if someone in your social circles has a pressure canner that they would like to sell? I'm talking about the really big ones that hold a half dozen or so quart jars. I was able to get two pressure canners by simply asking for them at a club meeting where there were older women in attendance. One actually had the canner in her car trunk that day! Your local county extension agency is likely to be able to pressure test a used canner to ensure that it is safe. I find that the older ones are heavier and thus hold heat and regulate pressure better than new ones. Look for the kind that have a needle gauge, not just a "jiggler."

Gina
3-6-11, 11:38am
If you consider buying a used one, you might ask on Craig's list or the like. I've seen them at yard sales occasionally, so they are out there. I'd make sure beforehand that you can get it adequately checked out before looking for used however.

On another board someone canned a lot of chicken meat from their own birds and thought it very good.

I would like to have a pressure canner (if someone gave me one), but I doubt I would use it very much. I don't even can much of anything anymore. I find freezing things easier and gives a better product, but I understand wanting a longer shelf-life.