PDA

View Full Version : main floor shower has leaked to the downstairs bathroom

kally
3-6-11, 12:23pm
and ruined the ceiling. I put my thumb through it yesterday. So I guess we get to take down the drywall and find the leak or problem. We are not terribly handy, and will enlist some help, but anyone know where to start?

I think it was dripping only when the shower was on, not the tub.

|Thankfully the ceiling in the downstairs bathroom is small.:help:

Any thoughts?

Oh here is my latest. Do you take house problems personally, as in Why Me? or do you just accept that it is part of owning a house, in our case an older house? I was thinking about this yesterday and realized that acceptance makes everything easier. But ranting and raving about house problems seems to be the way a lot of us deal with it

iris lily
3-6-11, 1:41pm
... Oh here is my latest. Do you take house problems personally, as in Why Me? or do you just accept that it is part of owning a house, in our case an older house? I was thinking about this yesterday and realized that acceptance makes everything easier. But ranting and raving about house problems seems to be the way a lot of us deal with it

One part of our house is so dysfunctional I cannot think about it. tra laa tra laa, I Just Ignore It. If I took it personally I would have shot me or DH or both of us a long time ago.

I love that DH is handy and can fix anything. But that does not mean that he WILL fix anything. In my house the dynamic is this:

*only DH is allowed to fix things
* DH does not fix all things
*Therefore, the things that DH does not fix will not get fixed

Meanwhile, he is making great progress on our staircase (not the Highly Dysfunctional part of our house, but one of the Somewhat Dysfunctional areas) and after 20 years we have wonderful (unpainted) oak treads. Still no banister, so all of us can still tumble over the stairwell and/or down the stiars, but hey, progress happens slowly.

kally
3-6-11, 7:09pm
well perhaps this is a common occurence. There are a lot of hits if I google shower leaked into basement.

sweetana3
3-7-11, 6:17am
It can be many things. Sometimes it is as simple as a shower door allowing water into the bathroom that leaked thru the floor into the kitchen.

We thought the whole glass ceiling would have to go but it turned out a shower curtain in addition to the door fixed the issue. Another time it was a loose fitting under the bathtub. Plumber hoped it would be more but it was only the fitting. In a 1939 house, a simple fix is always hoped for.

Drywall is so simple to fix. We had lathe and plaster or glass.

Zoe Girl
3-7-11, 9:17am
Oh dear, I rent an older house and I tend to think I have done something wrong even though my landlord is perfectly fine getting things fixed. But older houses take some work, get leaks and damage, it is just the way it is.

rodeosweetheart
3-7-11, 4:03pm
One thought is that you willnot believe all the helpful videos on youtube about bathroom repair! We have to gut ours, so we've been watching things about tub replacement and tile. Next month, yawn. . .