PDA

View Full Version : what's your favorite container to use for Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day?

seekingsimplicity
3-6-11, 1:35pm
I need to get a large container for making this bread and wondered if any of you have a favorite you are using?

iris lily
3-6-11, 1:44pm
I am interested in this, great question! Some people were making it in a Dutch oven. I want to hear from you guys!

seekingsimplicity
3-6-11, 1:51pm
oh hi Iris! I was interested mainly in what refrigerator container people like for this. I use a Le Creuset dutch oven for the baking part but what do you use to store it in the refrigerator?

iris lily
3-6-11, 1:54pm
I confess, haven't made the Artisian 5 mintue bread--yet.

Do you think a regular, cheaper, less heavy Dutch oven would work? The 2 I have are not thick.

seekingsimplicity
3-6-11, 1:57pm
It is worth a try! I think I saw someone somewhere said it worked just fine. I think it is worth trying it if you already own one. But if you don't own a cheap one I am a true believer that the Le Creuset is worth its weight in gold!

bae
3-6-11, 2:28pm
For the refrigerator, I use a Rubbermaid 8 quart bulk container, which has a #6509 on the lid. I got these containers years ago at some commercial cookware store, and find them great for grain/flour/bean storage, and mixing/storing things.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_8bdYFKk3OW4/TXPf7utnDcI/AAAAAAAACSI/ZEFBbZ_uCaw/s640/%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

Rosemary
3-6-11, 2:57pm
I've used a plastic ice cream bucket. They're #5 polypropylene, food-safe plastic.

herbgeek
3-6-11, 5:34pm
I got a dough bucket at the restaurant supply store for about 5 bucks. I don't use a container to bake my bread, I put it on a piece of parchment on a baking stone, and put a pan of water on the shelf underneath.

treehugger
3-7-11, 12:45pm
To mix and store the dough, I use a Rubbermaid food storage container (I think it says it holds 9 cups) and then don't seal the lid all the way (as per the book's instructions). This works well for me since I already had it on hand, it fits in my fridge (those nice dough buckets and restaurant quality storage containers that I have seen would not fit), it accommodates both the mixing and the storing (less cleanup), and it fits a whole batch of dough easily.

I definitely recommend looking around your kitchen at what you already have, and just use whatever is suitable. I don’t’ think this is a finicky process that requires a special container.

Anne Lee
3-7-11, 9:33pm
Heck, I just use a large bowl with plastic wrap over it.

To bake it, I use parchment paper on a half baking sheet. I do the hot water in the bottom of a broiler on the rack below the bread.