PDA

View Full Version : Another ominous warning

Tiam
9-29-13, 2:18am
After a while, you hear the world is ending so many times it doesn't mean anything. Anyway, the latest thing here, is that the two tectonic plates off the coast of Oregon have not released any pressure in the way of small slides for ages. The two plates are just pressing intensely against each other. So, the worry is that Oregon is in for a 8. quake anytime from now to thirty years. And Oregon is ill prepared. We have so many old, un reinforced old, l9th century brick buildings. The low lying coastal towns have been hit by tsunamis before but none at the level expected. The standard 3 day recommendation is considered to be way to low, being increased to 3 weeks minimum of supplies and expect to be cut off. It's kind of a hard thing to think of what that means in terms of preparation, of storage, of actual product. Especially knowing that power and gas will mostly likely be cut off. I'm not a prepper. My measly little supply could get us by for a weak I am sure. but no more.

Tussiemussies
9-29-13, 2:41am
Tiam, I can understand how worried you are. I would start getting as prepared as possible. Just don't tell anyone what you are doing as in a situation like that people might try and raid the food you have put away. At least you can still do some canning now as some food markets still have some summer vegetables. You may want to search some Mormon or LDS websites for this as they are pros at it...Chris

gimmethesimplelife
9-29-13, 7:41am
When I was living in Portland in the 90's we had an earthquake that I think registered 5.1 on the Richter scale. It was enough to knock a few things off shelves and wake me up but not much more. I don't think any buildings collapsed and there were no deaths and I don't even remember there being any injuries, either. Scary stuff though as it seems sort of like the meteorological equivalent of a stroke - intense and out of nowhere. Foolish me, I didn't even know that Portland and Seattle are on major faults. One thing I will say for Arizona - we don't really have that much natural disaster here. Something I am learning to appreciate.

Back to Oregon, though. I think in general it's a good idea to have a week or two of canned goods stashed away, just in case. More if you have space for it. I am not a survivalist....I am not going to start a compound out in the country and hoard guns and call myself a patriot and get extreme in my views....that being said, I remember the unprepared response to Katrina. And I also see a country almost 17 trillion dollars in debt, such a high amount that my brain can't really even begin to grasp it, and I see a government playing games that may make us lose another notch in our credit rating. All of this says to me - don't count on stability.....I personally think every time I go out to do the food shopping, buying an extra pound of rice, an extra bag or two of beans, an extra can of tuna or some kind of canned vegetable - this to me seems wise. And even if nothing catastrophic does happen, you have all that extra food sitting there if you get laid off, downsized, or automated out of a job.

Sort of like insurance maybe. Rob

puglogic
9-29-13, 4:40pm
Tiam,
Though I'm not one to spend a lot of time thinking about the most dangerous possibilities, I think I have that luxury because I do keep a stash of foods, water, etc., and I know I'll find a way to survive it. You may have to get rid of some other things you have in storage to make room, but if it will put your mind more at ease, I think it may be worth it for you?
This is a tough, funny, sometimes exasperating, but ultimately useful web site: http://survivalistboards.com

RosieTR
10-1-13, 11:52pm
Tiam, I think you should try to get 1-2 months of food stored. Besides earthquakes, there is always a possibility of a major, deadly flu that requires several weeks of quarantine and on a shorter term there is the possibility of a power outage for at least a few days. It's not an interesting diet, but one could survive for quite some time on rice, beans and tomato powder (or dried peppers, anything with vitamin C). Add some spices and dried onion/garlic and you're good. Personally, I camp and have several water purifiers rather than storing water which is heavy. Chlorohexidine or iodine pills are cheap and small with a pretty long shelf life, but require pretty clear water to begin with. Coffee filters could serve that purpose. The most basic is boiling water, if you have a large source of fuel and a pot. Hopefully that sounds pretty doable, or check out the link Pug mentions. I also personally like this site (http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/) though know he uses some non-PG language at times in case that bothers you.

I would say I'm somewhat prepared for disasters in my area. I wasn't freaked out when we weren't sure whether our water would remain potable in the floods (it did for us, but not for everyone in the city) or if the power were to go out for some time (it did, but it was short). We had no way of leaving about a 15 mile radius of the house for maybe a day, day and a half and there wasn't much bottled water to be had in stores in our area in that time since delivery trucks could not get here either. Water recedes pretty fast, earthquake debris does not. Highways are less stable than you think, particularly if they have bridges which they do in Oregon. If you think you would need to leave more than a mile or two away, I would consider getting a mountain bike as well because few other modes of transportation work as well in disaster areas.

ETA: Good on you for noticing the potential problems in your area. For your sake and the sake of all the folks living in the area (I know a few) I hope that doesn't happen in our lifetimes!

ApatheticNoMore
10-2-13, 12:14am
Oh shrug, hasn't the San Andreas not had a quake in ages either? All my life I was told there would be a big one in the next 30 years, and someday I'm quite sure there will be. Hope there aren't any nuclear power plants in Oregon though ..... you might want to look into that. I can't imagine canning done oneself in glass will necessarily make it though the quake, maybe, but tins cans seem a better bet. I tend to have a paranoia against putting anything much on upper shelves, hung up high, my pans are mostly certainly not hanging on hooks, etc..

Suzanne
10-2-13, 9:29am
It doesn't hurt to have food, water, and a basic medical kit handy, as well as grab-and-go bags with energy bars, water, space blanket, and money - both the folding stuff and coins. The big quakes will surely come, and as RosieTR says, there are other things too. I've heard of people who found their emergency supplies a godsend when they lost a job...

Those of us who live on the Pacific Rim would do very well to practice our earthquake drill. We may never need it, but why not be prepared? and we should also be aware of the potential for tsunamis, of which there is good evidence in the geological record! Know where tsunamis are likely to come ashore, walk or drive tsunami escape routes. Be aware of the potential for landslides along coastal ranges. This is beyond our control, but simply knowing that one is prepared is a good defense against fear.

flowerseverywhere
10-2-13, 10:49pm
Rosie, the site you linked to is one of the best to explain why to be prepared. Everyone has given great comments. I keep a cupboard of survival supplies. A wind up radio with a solar light, matches, water purifier, canned goods etc. if you find something on sale, buy a few and as your stock increases donate the oldest to the food bank. I am in a hurricane area. I have all kinds of stuff, especially well stocked in the fall. Saltine crackers, a jar of peanut butter, canned soup, a large can of ravioli, canned fruit etc. may not be your preferred diet, but it really is easy to have a few weeks worth of food and water once you decide it is a priority. If for whatever reason it hits the fan, I don't want to be part of the problem. I happen to have a solar cooker, very handy for those with lots of sunshine. It doesn't freeze here so it eliminates a lot of the worry. We keep some small bills and coins in the house, a few extra cans of gas, and you can learn to make sprouts and store squash and other vegetables. One big thing we did was buy a scanner and scan all our pictures. We have copies in several locations at relatives houses. Don't forget your pets.
We don't stockpile, but I always have extra toothpaste, toilet paper to last several weeks etc. If a disaster is predicted like a big ice storm, or a hurricane you can bet toilet paper, bottled water, bread and milk will be very hard to find.

RosieTR
10-2-13, 11:35pm
If a disaster is predicted like a big ice storm, or a hurricane you can bet toilet paper, bottled water, bread and milk will be very hard to find.

Ha ha, Flowers, I went to a store in Boulder last winter just before a big storm was predicted, and they were out of....spinach :~) But yes, for some reason bread and milk are difficult to find in most places before a storm. I think it's possible to buy vacuum-packed milk if milk is a big deal for you; then it won't need refrigeration until it's been opened.

More seriously, one thing I have thought of but not addressed well in my own life is, what happens if you are at work? Something like a hurricane makes it less likely someone would be away from home, but an earthquake could happen any time. May also be good to have some type of stash at work and/or in the car, rather than all at your house. I don't know about different regions of the country/world and their potential for an unexpected disruption, though sadly a shooting or terrorist attack could happen nearly anywhere populated and cause roadblocks and the like for some time, maybe even a few days (as evidenced by the Boston situation this past spring).

gimmethesimplelife
10-2-13, 11:39pm
Three years ago it was nearing the end of my first season at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. We had a strange storm move in from Mexico. We had 36 hours of rain pretty much continuous, tornado warnings (very bizarre for Arizona and a place outside of Flagstaff called Bellmont did get hit by a tornado), and about 1 1/2 days without power. It was a fiasco for which all were unprepared. Management of course tried to minimize losses by trying to have us serve with no power and it was a joke. All it did was create more guest anger and angst and complaints. After this experience being isolated out in the middle of nowhere without power it dawned on me that being prepared for something like this is not paranoia, it's prudent (though I still believe it can be taken to far out there extremes). Rob

Rogar
10-6-13, 10:42am
I sometimes wonder what the effect of warming ocean temperatures and rising sea levels might have on some of the coastal faults zones. Probably nothing, but I still wonder.

Beans and rice are my staple for emergency food stocks along with a little propane camp stove and some dehydrated meals that can double for camping. Iodine tablets and a filter to purify water. And a couple of good LED lighted lanterns. It seems like a pretty small investment and not a lot of storage space.

puglogic
10-6-13, 2:37pm
And a couple of good LED lighted lanterns. It seems like a pretty small investment and not a lot of storage space.

Rogar, what kind are your lanterns, and where did you get them? We had a power outage scare a couple of days ago up here, and we were bemoaning not having a couple of long-lasting, good quality lanterns.

Rogar
10-6-13, 5:47pm
I can't remember where the two older ones came from. One is an off brand and the other is a Coleman which I think is a good brand. They take "D" batteries and are a little larger and have a longer burn time. I'm an REI fan and and their online store has quite a selection to pick from depending on what you want. I just gave my old Coleman white gas lantern to the Goodwill. Not a bad lantern, but a little fussy with the mantels and gas. Since I was then a lantern short I got this cute little one which the REI outlet had on sale, which puts out less light than the larger lanterns and has a shorter run time, but is nice and compact. http://www.rei.com/product/859139/black-diamond-apollo-lantern-2012-closeout On the high setting it's maybe about like a 40 watt incandescent.

I don't know if there is any magic to getting a good one. Many of the battery operated ones use LEDs so have a long burn time. I don't have much experience with the newer propane lanterns. I don't use mine too often so I think the batteries go old after a few years and need to be replaced. I suppose the propane ones get around that. I suppose one could go with rechargeable batteries. I've always been under the impression that they do not last as long as regular batteries and could not be charged without power.

RosieTR
10-14-13, 11:05pm
I don't know if there is any magic to getting a good one. Many of the battery operated ones use LEDs so have a long burn time. I don't have much experience with the newer propane lanterns. I don't use mine too often so I think the batteries go old after a few years and need to be replaced. I suppose the propane ones get around that. I suppose one could go with rechargeable batteries. I've always been under the impression that they do not last as long as regular batteries and could not be charged without power.

It's been my experience that rechargeables don't last as long as regular batteries. As for chargers, you could get a solar charger but I don't have any stats on a reasonable cost one. Harbor Freight tends to have that sort of thing pretty reasonably. DH has a collection of lanterns which I think are all propane or white gas. I like having the option of both a gas-powered and a battery powered light. We have headlamps for camping so would use those for direct light (like to read or cook) then probably the gas lanterns for ambient light in a power outage situation. If you worry about more than a few hours of an outage, which could probably happen anywhere, some sort of solar charger for your basic electronics is a good idea. I just remember seeing pics of people after Sandy, wandering around looking not for food but in order to find an outlet for their phone charger. I have a hard time envisioning the power being out for days and days not only at my house but also my parents', in-laws and work but then again the weather has surprised even me as of late so maybe I shouldn't discount that.

Spartana
10-15-13, 3:37pm
Ha ha, Flowers, I went to a store in Boulder last winter just before a big storm was predicted, and they were out of....spinach :~) But yes, for some reason bread and milk are difficult to find in most places before a storm. I think it's possible to buy vacuum-packed milk if milk is a big deal for you; then it won't need refrigeration until it's been opened.

More seriously, one thing I have thought of but not addressed well in my own life is, what happens if you are at work? Something like a hurricane makes it less likely someone would be away from home, but an earthquake could happen any time. May also be good to have some type of stash at work and/or in the car, rather than all at your house. I don't know about different regions of the country/world and their potential for an unexpected disruption, though sadly a shooting or terrorist attack could happen nearly anywhere populated and cause roadblocks and the like for some time, maybe even a few days (as evidenced by the Boston situation this past spring). and it doesn't have to be a large or long term natural disaster either. A big power outage that lasts a day or 2 can often strand people in all sorts of situations overnight or longer. Having some extra water, food, etc. on you or in your car can allow you to weather either a long walk home or an over night or 2 in your car, office, or stuck on an elevator or subway.

Gregg
10-22-13, 8:22am
As a side note this can be an excellent time of year to do a little stocking up. Our local store has had various canned veggies on sale at 4/$1 the past few weeks. Rice and dried beans have been on sale as well. Most of what we've picked up has an expiration date of 2015 or 2016 so there is plenty of time to rotate through your stock. DW is one of those folks that pitches anything ON the expiration date, but most folks realize there is some flexibility with that as well.

Tiam
10-22-13, 12:06pm
Lights. I'd say I'm pretty low in the lights department. I'd prefer solar charged ones.

Tiam
10-22-13, 12:13pm
Oh shrug, hasn't the San Andreas not had a quake in ages either? All my life I was told there would be a big one in the next 30 years, and someday I'm quite sure there will be. Hope there aren't any nuclear power plants in Oregon though ..... you might want to look into that. I can't imagine canning done oneself in glass will necessarily make it though the quake, maybe, but tins cans seem a better bet. I tend to have a paranoia against putting anything much on upper shelves, hung up high, my pans are mostly certainly not hanging on hooks, etc..

I grew up in California. I'm very used to earthquakes. But California is more earthquake prepared. I remember well the Loma Prieta quake in the 80's. That was 25 years ago . I've here in Oregon for 20 years and there is a profusion of unreinforced brick buildings, bridges and structures. I'm not really paranoid. I don't sit up nights thinking about such things. It just occurs to me how ill prepared my State really is.

Lainey
10-22-13, 10:50pm
About lanterns, anyone ever use the wind-up versions? I've got one and really like it. It's just maybe 30 seconds - a minute of winding, then more than an hour of good light. It's in my emergency box, and I like not having to worry about batteries being dead.

Tiam
10-24-13, 11:25am
About lanterns, anyone ever use the wind-up versions? I've got one and really like it. It's just maybe 30 seconds - a minute of winding, then more than an hour of good light. It's in my emergency box, and I like not having to worry about batteries being dead.

I do. I have two, because they are nice to have. Having never had to use them, I wound one up the other day. It didn't stay on as long as when it was new. Unfortunately they have plug ins to charge them, but didn't come with them. Can't find one around the house to fit them. So, I guess I'm wondering if they work well ten years later if they are never used. I've been blessed to only need one once during an outage.

I do, however have a wind up flashlight in the car which has come in handy. Didn't have to worry that I would have dead batteries and no light.

Tiam
10-24-13, 11:30am
It's probably all just folklore and not based in fact, but supposedly oarfish have been washing up near California shores. The Japanese have a legend that when oarfish (deepwater dwellers) come to shore it's to warn of an earthquake. It could be coincidence. No one knows.http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/10/21/oarfish-or-harbingers-sea-serpents-washed-up-year-before-japan-quake/

Tiam
10-24-13, 11:45am
I've read this guys blog.(The Katrina guy) I notice his focus is on leaving, though he does provide links.

RosieTR
10-25-13, 11:26pm
I grew up in California. I'm very used to earthquakes. But California is more earthquake prepared. I remember well the Loma Prieta quake in the 80's. That was 25 years ago . I've here in Oregon for 20 years and there is a profusion of unreinforced brick buildings, bridges and structures. I'm not really paranoid. I don't sit up nights thinking about such things. It just occurs to me how ill prepared my State really is.
Not too much you can do about that. Get together with others esp emergency manager types and start asking. Sometimes just asking questions gets people thinking though deep infrastructure like buildings are extremely difficult to change because it's very expensive. Even now, when they adjust the flood zones around coastlines to reflect better science there's an uproar because the homeowners there will have way higher insurance.

Tiam
11-17-13, 8:59pm
Not too much you can do about that. Get together with others esp emergency manager types and start asking. Sometimes just asking questions gets people thinking though deep infrastructure like buildings are extremely difficult to change because it's very expensive. Even now, when they adjust the flood zones around coastlines to reflect better science there's an uproar because the homeowners there will have way higher insurance.

I'm thinking ....me and manager types will never be in the same place at the same time. I suppose what I mean, is that I'm thinking small scale. Personal scale. As opposed to being on the "management" end. I mean, Oregon put this out. I'm just thinking on it.

Kestrel
11-17-13, 9:26pm
Back in the "olden days" ('60s - '80s) we lived in a small logging town "out in the middle of nowhere", quite literally, in FAR Northern CA, where heat was wood and cooking was wood or gas, and in the winter the power went out a lot, for a week at a time, and occasionally in the summer. We always had plenty of survival supplies and we knew how to use them and rotate them. We were very prepared for such events -- just what one did. However ... we're older now, we live in Boise ID (urban, to us) and we're not prepared at all. Ugh. This thread reminds me we need to get in gear again. Thanks.

RosieTR
11-17-13, 10:12pm
I'm thinking ....me and manager types will never be in the same place at the same time. I suppose what I mean, is that I'm thinking small scale. Personal scale. As opposed to being on the "management" end. I mean, Oregon put this out. I'm just thinking on it.

Well, I guess what I meant was, do you know which bridges are most vulnerable to earthquakes? How many water lines does your town/city have and where are they? What about power? What is the emergency plan for your area? Where are the actual fault lines, and what do the models look like? Someone has likely done this. Someone may be a lone squeaky wheel about this, and if he/she hears from community members that this is something they're thinking about, it makes emergency planning more likely and better. It's really nice and easy to say "well *I'M* prepared! Who cares about others?" but really what happens is most people see destruction and want to help out. Better to have a resilient community because you spoke up now than curse whatever entity ("stupid people", "the government", "the feds", "god" etc) when something bad does happen. It really amuses me that the Doomsday Preppers always think there's going to be mobs of people looting that they will have to shoot or "defend" themselves from. This does sometimes happen to businesses, but what is much more frequent is people getting together to help each other. This especially happens if you know and at least somewhat like the people you are near. People here saved their neighbors' lives, pets and livelihoods in many cases. People are helping their neighbors negotiate with FEMA, rebuild their homes, get to and from difficult-to-access areas, and restart their businesses. If you have a strong community, chances are you will weather a disaster better regardless of how awful it is. Anyway, getting yourself prepared is great, but don't ignore the rest of your home and that includes your community.

Tiam
11-18-13, 12:56am
Back in the "olden days" ('60s - '80s) we lived in a small logging town "out in the middle of nowhere", quite literally, in FAR Northern CA, where heat was wood and cooking was wood or gas, and in the winter the power went out a lot, for a week at a time, and occasionally in the summer. We always had plenty of survival supplies and we knew how to use them and rotate them. We were very prepared for such events -- just what one did. However ... we're older now, we live in Boise ID (urban, to us) and we're not prepared at all. Ugh. This thread reminds me we need to get in gear again. Thanks.

I just can't get around the power thing. In the effort to have cleaner air, wood stoves and wood heat were actively removed. Tax credits for those who removed them. I rent. My house used to have a fireplace. The chimney is on the roof. But now the heat is gas/electric. No power, no heat.