PDA

View Full Version : Beta Ladies

redfox
10-11-13, 12:39pm
I rather like this concept.

http://jezebel.com/some-ladies-just-dont-give-a-shit-about-having-it-all-1443095617

Gardenarian
10-11-13, 12:56pm
How refreshing!
I am also content with an ordinary life.
I think most of of us daydream about being famous or doing something heroic or fabulous, but the daydreams don't need to guide our lives (thank goodness.)

ApatheticNoMore
10-11-13, 2:11pm
I find ordinary life exhausting beyond all measure just by itself, like it's just speeding past me (true that I might want more out of life than what I get and that only adds to the exhaustion - because see you have to run as fast as you can just to stand still if you want to actually get somewhere you have to run even faster - how very very true that is!!!).

And I'm high powered and upper executive? No, though I'd like that money but that's about all :). But it's just 40 hour weeks with requirements to sometimes do work on the weekends, hour each way commute, very ordinary (to the point I feel I could disappear into the wallpaper it's so darn ordinary), very exhausting. I made a schedule today of how best to use my few free hours. Yea ..... that's where I'm at :)

When I have tried to do a life differently than this, I was fought every step of the way (I tried to work part time, I did hold the ground there for quite awhile, but there was CONSTANT pressure to go full time). Tired of fighting to be so different than normal (normal = exhausted) as well. But someday, maybe ....

JaneV2.0
10-11-13, 2:12pm
It's not just women. I come from a family of mostly well-educated, smart people. My grandfathers were both successful men by society's standards, but subsequent generations indicate that achievement isn't the overriding goal for the rest of us. We tend to do just enough to support ourselves and otherwise live a notably low-profile life.

Lainey
10-11-13, 10:58pm
It's not just women. I come from a family of mostly well-educated, smart people. . . achievement isn't the overriding goal for the rest of us. We tend to do just enough to support ourselves and otherwise live a notably low-profile life.

Likewise with my family of origin. It's the Your Money or Your Life conundrum. I chose having enough money and lower-stress life vs. more money and higher stress, and so have my sibs. Doesn't mean we're lazy. Doesn't mean life is stress-free. Only means that we recognize "enough" is actually plenty.

Spartana
10-12-13, 3:38am
I had always believed the "have it all" life for both women and men was a myth. Even at an early age I knew that I would have to make a choice between a career - especially the type of career I wanted which was not a traditional 9 to 5, go home every night, weekends and holidays - and marriage and kids. I choose career (although I met and married a man who's values on the topic were the same as mine). Even as a hard driving, type-A person, trying to do it all and achieve it all would have killed me.

ApatheticNoMore
10-12-13, 4:33am
Even at an early age I knew that I would have to make a choice between a career and marriage and kids. I choose career

me too, but I'm not even satisfied with my career, but yea I knew at an early age too.

Even as a hard driving, type-A person, trying to do it all and achieve it all would have killed me.

it would definitely kill me. I could not do this schedule plus raise kids (though most people seem to). I'm not type A. I have a real need for downtime. While there may be some objectives I am aiming at (career wise), at the cost of free time, and making frustrating progress :), it's WHY I don't go over the top and go back to school while working and stuff (and yes I've thought of it and called myself lazy and so on until I realized I really really value downtime). Rather than most rewards this society can offer me pretty much beyond survival: time perceived as time, time perceived as being in abundance, time to reflect, time enough to kill time and still have time left over.

herbgeek
10-12-13, 7:00am
I was one of those hard driving types in my 20's. Grad school at night, full time job during the day, yuppie wannabe. Got really sick for about a year with chronic fatigue. Decided that home life would always be more important. Life has been much better. And ironically I did better at work without the desperation.

pinkytoe
10-12-13, 9:26am
I am still scratching my head over how that Lean In book has been on the best-seller list for so long. Isn't it about how to be an alpha woman? I see no virtue in running around like your hair is on fire which is what those types seem like to me.

JaneV2.0
10-12-13, 10:37am
I think certain people have higher stress thresholds, more energy, mad delegation skills, extreme stamina, and a number of other attributes that passed me (and others) by. Kudos to them; we need some of their kind.

Lainey
10-12-13, 6:58pm
I agree, JaneV2.0. But it's having that model held up as the cultural ideal is what's maddening to everyone else.

JaneV2.0
10-12-13, 9:12pm
Indeed, but you could say that about standards of beauty, sports acumen, sociability...

redfox
10-13-13, 7:03pm
Indeed, but you could say that about standards of beauty, sports acumen, sociability...

Yes, let's do! I find the so-called standards of most of those ridiculous.

puglogic
10-13-13, 11:04pm
I agree, JaneV2.0. But it's having that model held up as the cultural ideal is what's maddening to everyone else.

But don't you think that going above and beyond these so-called "ideals" (in fashion, appearance, etc.) is a fundamental life skill? What's that quote? "You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same."

Living life from one step back, where you are taught to see the "ideals" and then decide whether you agree, seems crucial. Especially for women.

ApatheticNoMore
10-14-13, 1:49am
I could care less about societal "ideals". Well very well, like everyone else I have gone through periods of caring about them, so perhaps I shouldn't overstate my detachment when they still have the power to annoy me when thrust in my face (and they are thrust in one's face - whole billboards of them, against one's will, on the commute to just a job). But overall I could care less about the societal "ideals". If one was on a quest for ideals there are much more appealing ones than are mainstream in this society anyway.

But what I do care about are such "ideals" made part of *survival*. Now the better looking person may get the promotion and you could not engineer a world where that would be 100% not the case, and so far be it for me to try to. But it gets worse than that, when introverts are discriminated against in hiring because the ads are indirectly seeking only extroverts (and unlike beauty which has some degree of universality - other cultures aren't so extrovert centered). And more to the point take the subject of this thread: if the pressure from the boss is to work lots of free overtime with the hidden threat of firing, you'd better do it. So find another job? Yes very well, though the economy is not good, but what if all the companies are pressuring this overtime. Then being a beta female isn't really much of a choice is it. I'll ask about overtime in interviews. But I'm bad see .... and crazy to take that risk I guess.

pinkytoe
10-14-13, 10:24am
There is a monthly publication in my city about local "successful" women. The ones featured are almost always CEOs or entrepreneurial with advanced degrees, 2-4+ children, equally ambitious spouses and very physically fit. They also are on multiple boards and committees and run marathons in their spare time. I always feel a twinge of inferiority when I read about their lives. No doubt they wonder why I chose the simpler path I did. The alpha women I have worked with eventually have issues in one area of their lives by trying to do so much. One in her mid 30s who was flying all around the world to promote her project after giving birth to two kids (cared for by nannies) came home to a divorce request. The other, much older, has run her health ragged by being constantly stressed - she is now addicted to sleep medications and now never makes it in to the office before 10:30a. I suppose there are those few out there who can really do it all...with a little help.

lhamo
10-14-13, 4:55pm
I just finished reading Lean In for the second time -- I'm leaning in pretty hard at the moment due to a once in a lifetime opportunity being dropped at my feet. One of the core messages of the book is that women should be more accepting of each others choices. We often get pitted against each other in the "mommy wars" etc. and it isn't good for anyone. Also, life is made up of stages and what is right for one person in a particular stage of life is not going to work for someone else. I leaned out a few years back when my second child was born -- a choice that for me at least may have been a mistake, as I hit my head on the glass ceiling pretty hard soon after that. BUT, that setback led me to change my path and now a few years later I am back in the running for a major leadership position. Which I am interested in not because of personal ambitions but because I believe it puts me in a position to really make a more significant impact and hopefully make the world a better place. Yes, it is a bit crazy to be taking this on when I still have kids at home -- there is a lot to juggle and I'm going to have to make some changes to how I do things -- but I don't want to pass this opportunity up. It may not come again. And who knows where else it might lead.

I hope you all aren't going to throw me off the boards -- I still work in the non-profit world, after all (haven't gone over to the dark side...)

lhamo

catherine
10-14-13, 5:07pm
I hope you all aren't going to throw me off the boards -- I still work in the non-profit world, after all (haven't gone over to the dark side...)

lhamo

Yeah, I was a bit reluctant to chime in, but in fact, I'm definitely a Beta Lady masquerading as an Alpha Lady. And what's more, I'm Alpha for Big Pharma. So, yes.. the Dark Side. I do feel that. (Egads!)

Proof of my Beta status:
--I quit a really sweet job with a LOT of career promise at NBC to stay home and be with my kids
--I patched together a bunch of at-home jobs when I needed money rather than commit to Daddy Corp.
--I quit my Daddy Corp job as soon as I was confident I could earn a living as a freelancer because I really wanted down time--real downtime, not "look busy" downtime.
--When my high school friends were getting jobs in retail during summer break I preferred to earn $50 for the whole summer hanging out with my 90 year old great aunt.
--My favorite pastime is puttering with nothing nothing special to do. I make lists, but avoid them like the plague

But I became Alpha because
--I wanted to contribute to my kids going to college
--I was sick of being in the crapper all the time
--I had reason to feel that it would be important for me to develop some self-sufficient skills
--I really liked the skills I had to use in the course of being a market researcher, and I found/find the job fun.
--I was proud of the challenges I was required to take on.

My DH sometimes puts down the women who drop off their kids in the school behind my house in their big SUVs at 7am, and then go off to their corporate world, not to return until 6 or 7. But then I remind him that I may not have jumped on that horse until the kids were older, but he was the Mr. Mom while I gallavanted around Europe doing research, so his judging them is judging me.

Aside from my firm belief that we were made to be of service to each other in one way or another--whether it's inventing the next technology breakthrough, or discovering the next medical breakthrough, or changing people's bedpans in a hospital, or helping people through the check-out line, or making your spouse lunch every day, let's let the betas be the betas and the alphas be the alphas.

puglogic
10-14-13, 7:13pm
lhamo, catherine, if anyone tries to vote you off the island, I'll have to sic the attack pug on them :D

More power to anyone who wants this lifestyle, but glad that someone is writing to defend those of us who are content to live small, rich lives out of the limelight too!

iris lilies
10-14-13, 7:42pm
But don't you think that going above and beyond these so-called "ideals" (in fashion, appearance, etc.) is a fundamental life skill? What's that quote? "You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same."

Living life from one step back, where you are taught to see the "ideals" and then decide whether you agree, seems crucial. Especially for women.

Yes. Isn't that what "self-actualization" is? Determining one's path in life regardless of what standards are out there. Take some of it, leave the rest it's our job as self-actualized humans. What a waste of our lives if we don't do that.

I'm reading Waldon on Wheels and would have liked to assure that young man that I admire his goals, even if his mother does not. To live without debt, to experience the great outdoors, to live in the now--in the great outdoors--without debt. Way to go! And he had a girlfriend in there as well as friends. Sounds like a rich life to me, but it's not the standard.

Lainey
10-14-13, 8:18pm

I think my post was geared especially towards the cultural expectations in the working world. As in, what do you mean you want 4 weeks maternity leave? The senior partner came back after 4 days! or, What do you mean you don't answer business emails on the weekends?
Next thing you know it's review time, and Alpha female's (or male's) 24/7 workplace dedication is now the norm, and the rest of us are being graded against that. It's a lost cause for a Beta who is more than willing to give a day's work for a day's pay, but not to devote her life to the corporation. Where's the cultural support for the Beta? Not much - instead, magazines are full of articles on how we need to be more Alpha!

ApatheticNoMore
10-14-13, 8:33pm
I've gone to company meetings where we were told that anyone who though it was ok to just do their 8 hours and go home, wasn't likely be there next year. So I know of what you speak, some places it's stated pretty darn plainly if you take them at their word (and everyone was salaried there pretty much, and thus noone getting paid for the overtime).

Lainey
10-14-13, 8:53pm
I've gone to company meetings where we were told that anyone who though it was ok to just do their 8 hours and go home, wasn't likely be there next year. So I know of what you speak, some places it's stated pretty darn plainly if you take them at their word (and everyone was salaried there pretty much, and thus noone getting paid for the overtime).

You're right, and I saw this happening years ago. That's where the concept of your "real hourly wage" really kicks in. If you're making $100,000/yr but having to work 65 hours/week to do it, how much are you really actually making? I remember pointing this out to someone who was enamored of the "professional" status of a salaried vs. hourly worker.

And sometimes, extra hours are needed - end of quarter or end of year crunch, etc. But, when it becomes the norm for 50 weeks/year, we've really lost something as a society.

pinkytoe
10-15-13, 10:32am
If you're making $100,000/yr but having to work 65 hours/week to do it, how much are you really actually making?
This is something I have often wondered about concerning the alpha people where I work. Their salaries are double plus mine but they are driving very expensive cars, wearing expensive clothing and jewelry, and living in expensive areas of the city. I am guessing they are also able to save/invest more so it all equals out?

Spartana
10-15-13, 3:52pm
me too, but I'm not even satisfied with my career, but yea I knew at an early age too.

it would definitely kill me. I could not do this schedule plus raise kids (though most people seem to). I'm not type A. I have a real need for downtime. While there may be some objectives I am aiming at (career wise), at the cost of free time, and making frustrating progress :), it's WHY I don't go over the top and go back to school while working and stuff (and yes I've thought of it and called myself lazy and so on until I realized I really really value downtime). Rather than most rewards this society can offer me pretty much beyond survival: time perceived as time, time perceived as being in abundance, time to reflect, time enough to kill time and still have time left over. Well I have to admit I was never interested in marriage, children and a traditional home life in white-picket-fence-ville anyways so it was an easy no-brainer choice for me :-) . Just wanted to work at something I liked and just wanted to play the rest of the time :-) . But I felt for those women and men who seemed to both joylessly and endlessly strive to attain not only everything, but perfection in everything. And they seemed not to do it for the selves and their own sense of satisfaction, but rather to meet some societal standard of how they "should" be.

ApatheticNoMore
10-15-13, 3:56pm
But I felt for those women and men who seemed to both joylessly and endlessly strive to attain not only everything, but perfection in everything. And they seemed not to do it for the selves and their own sense of satisfaction, but rather to meet some societal standard of how they "should" be.

I tend to think it's more how they are raised than society, not that societal pressures don't exist (from the subtle pressure of advertisements to the overt pressure from work to put in overtime or else).

Spartana
10-15-13, 4:10pm
I tend to think it's more how they are raised than society, not that societal pressures don't exist (from the subtle pressure of advertisements to the overt pressure from work to put in overtime or else).
Maybe But many women, including myself, were raised to be more domesticly minded than career minded. However I think society now expect both and women - and men - seem to follow societal cues (or maybe their own inate personalities) more so than familial ones. My family expectations were for me to marry, have babies and be a homemaker but my innate drive was different - and society was telling me a career was what I should want - so that's the way I went. But I'm definetly an alpha masquarding as a beta person. I was, and wanted, that 24/7 working life to the exclusion of everything else. But that was what I wanted even if it was sort of being thrust upon me by societies expectations as well.

Spartana
10-15-13, 4:20pm
I think my post was geared especially towards the cultural expectations in the working world. As in, what do you mean you want 4 weeks maternity leave? The senior partner came back after 4 days! or, What do you mean you don't answer business emails on the weekends?
Next thing you know it's review time, and Alpha female's (or male's) 24/7 workplace dedication is now the norm, and the rest of us are being graded against that. It's a lost cause for a Beta who is more than willing to give a day's work for a day's pay, but not to devote her life to the corporation. Where's the cultural support for the Beta? Not much - instead, magazines are full of articles on how we need to be more Alpha!
But hasn't this always been the norm for male employess for generations? Isn't this the ideal that men have had to hold to their entire working careers? Wrong as it is imho. They have always be held to the 24/7 Company Man expectation. Now women are only being expected to work in the same way. Should women be treated differently and should companies require lower expeditions from it's female employees? I personally don't think so. IMO, however unrealistic it is :-) , I think home and child rearing should be a family affair and shared equally requirering the same work/life commitments from both partners. Having employers create equatable company policies for both genders should be the goal, not just accomadating women and giving them a different set of working conditions

jennipurrr
10-15-13, 6:06pm
My mom is the Beta type through and through...she worked part time for a number of years and then when we got a little older went back full time. In the late 90s her employer encouraged her to go back and get advanced education, on their dime, and she said why would I do that? I am perfectly content at this level (instructor, com college), no desire to move into the stress of administration. My mother's best friend when we were young was more of a striving career woman, went through a couple of marriages, etc. We've talked about it...part of her success being a beta is being content with a certain lifestyle, simple things, and the other part is a lot of luck...stable marriage, no unforeseen circumstances that forced her to earn more some of those years, etc. It isn't too hard to be a Beta when you have a supportive spouse.

I struggle with the Alpha/Beta...it is all innate too, I could give a hoot about most of society's expectations. I've always been a striver...type a...whether it comes to education, work, etc. I have a hard time sitting still, need to be doing "something" - that has always been a simple living dichotomy with me...I have a lot of trouble slowing down and I don't enjoy it at all. Early retirement didn't really jive with me until I just thought of it as not having to work for money...the not working thing seems absolutely unbearable to me. The comment about women w careers who run marathons made me laugh a little inside...wondering if I am turning into that person, lol, doubtful...but I got into running a couple of years ago and LOVE it as a natural antidepressant and use of my exercise/free time. My mom and sister (also more of a beta) don't get it...but my brain is actually calm when I am running...much more calm than when I am sitting around on the couch. Doing my first 1/2 marathon this fall. Maybe those women just have a hamster in their brain like I do.

I just hope society can get to the point where women feel free and supported to be an alpha, beta, childfree, or sahm...even on this thread I see a some comments that strike me as a little judgmental. I'm all for everyone doing their own thing and feeling good about that.

puglogic
10-15-13, 6:54pm
I am guessing that's why I found that self-employment suits me so well. I can be beta when I want to, and it's fine. I pay my bills, I save a little, I control how much stress I want to take on. I can also be alpha when I want to, going to networking meetings, sharpening the heels, doing workshops, out in the public eye a lot, and for those periods of time I move into a different income bracket. The fact that it's all up to me, and I'm controlling my own destiny, is important. I guess I need the freedom to do what I want to do.

I can be judgmental of those who choose a high-stress lifestyle and then complain about it (can't afford my Range Rover payments, I have no time with my kids, I have to take these blood pressure medications, etc) as though it's some burden thrust on them. But of course, I'm big on the whole personal responsibility thing....it rankles me when people make choices and then whine about the price.

Lainey
10-15-13, 7:49pm
But hasn't this always been the norm for male employess for generations? Isn't this the ideal that men have had to hold to their entire working careers? Wrong as it is imho. They have always be held to the 24/7 Company Man expectation. Now women are only being expected to work in the same way. Should women be treated differently and should companies require lower expeditions from it's female employees? ...

Actually I don't think this has always been the norm except for the top executive suite. My adult working career started around 1980 in/around the professional office environment. And you know what? the offices closed at 5 pm and everyone went home. Then pagers and home computers came along, and then cell phones, now smart phones, so there is no "excuse" not to be available 24/7/365 to your employer.
And I do not want separate accommodations for male and female workers. What'd I like to see is less acceptance and adulation of the Alpha worker style as the "new normal" and more reasonableness all the way around so our society can truly live the work/life balance that most of us care about.

That said, I definitely agree that if you (generic you) are an Alpha type, then go for it. If not, that's fine too.

iris lilies
10-15-13, 9:47pm
Well I have to admit I was never interested in marriage, children and a traditional home life in white-picket-fence-ville anyways so it was an easy no-brainer choice for me :-) . Just wanted to work at something I liked and just wanted to play the rest of the time :-) . But I felt for those women and men who seemed to both joylessly and endlessly strive to attain not only everything, but perfection in everything. And they seemed not to do it for the selves and their own sense of satisfaction, but rather to meet some societal standard of how they "should" be.

Ah, She-Rah, I lurv you!

You are the completely self-actualized chicky on this website. Shit happens, you don't complain about it. :)!!!!!!!!

jennipurrr
10-16-13, 9:28am
I can be judgmental of those who choose a high-stress lifestyle and then complain about it (can't afford my Range Rover payments, I have no time with my kids, I have to take these blood pressure medications, etc) as though it's some burden thrust on them. But of course, I'm big on the whole personal responsibility thing....it rankles me when people make choices and then whine about the price.

After I wrote that I wondered if I used the wrong word, because I definitely think many aspects of today's lifestyles and consumerist society NEED people to cast some judgment. On the other hand, I think we as a society are quick to bash other's choices when they are different than our own...I guess it is because I am getting to the age where my peer group has kids (none here yet) and I have a new nephew but lately I seem to be inundated with all these different attacks/critiques that women/mothers face.

I really liked the article redfox shared and hope it encourages folks who are trying to live up to some sort of false ideal to see that there may be other ways to live. I wanted to throw in my personal experience, that I get a lot out of school and work. I go to work most days and am actually excited to do my job. It would be hard for me to downshift just because I am wired that way, not because of society's expectations to accumulate.

I feel fortunate to live in a time where women are no longer forced into certain domestic roles/careers, and would also hate to see the opposite where we are forced to be Alpha worker types. In that respect I have a live and let live attitude. I agree with you that I don't want to hear anyone complaining about life choices that are fully correctable.

Spartana
10-16-13, 4:19pm
Actually I don't think this has always been the norm except for the top executive suite. My adult working career started around 1980 in/around the professional office environment. And you know what? the offices closed at 5 pm and everyone went home. Then pagers and home computers came along, and then cell phones, now smart phones, so there is no "excuse" not to be available 24/7/365 to your employer.
And I do not want separate accommodations for male and female workers. What'd I like to see is less acceptance and adulation of the Alpha worker style as the "new normal" and more reasonableness all the way around so our society can truly live the work/life balance that most of us care about.

That said, I definitely agree that if you (generic you) are an Alpha type, then go for it. If not, that's fine too.
I completely agree! I'd also love to see acceptance of everyone's work/lifestyle choices. I personally hate the labels of alpha or beta or whatever to descripe someone since I think we all have a bit of both depending on our various situations, cares and concerns.

Spartana
10-16-13, 4:31pm
Ah, She-Rah, I lurv you!

You are the completely self-actualized chicky on this website. Shit happens, you don't complain about it. :)!!!!!!!!

Ha ha ha ha ha!!! Me not complain? Where ever have you been all these years :-) :-) ? Well I would love to see the working world change back to the old 9 to 5 for those that want that and have those kinds of jobs. But really, unless there is a large worker revolt where people actually just do their 8 hours and then go home and turn off the cells and computers, I just don't see it happening. So it comes down to choices. A - Get a low stress, no overtime job. B - Go along with the corporate culture of mega working yet try to influence changes from within. Or C - Quit. I'd personally love to see a huge worker revolt but that's unlikely to happen.

Spartana
10-17-13, 3:31pm

I got knocked off the internet before I could finish my post - but basicly I meant that even before cell phones and e-mail and NSA designed tracking devices implanted in us by employers who will send military style drones to hunt us down if we aren't at work Sat afternoons, men were able to devote a large amount of their time to their jobs if needed since they generally didn't have home and childcare duties to also deal with. Employers have gotten use to that level of commitment and availability and now expect bit from all their employees and that is a hard, and for many people with kids and other obligations, impossible level of commitment to the job to maintain.

Rachel
10-30-13, 6:15am
I just finished reading Lean In for the second time -- I'm leaning in pretty hard at the moment due to a once in a lifetime opportunity being dropped at my feet. One of the core messages of the book is that women should be more accepting of each others choices. ........ and now a few years later I am back in the running for a major leadership position. Which I am interested in not because of personal ambitions but because I believe it puts me in a position to really make a more significant impact and hopefully make the world a better place......
lhamo

Just wanted to pop in to say congratulations Ihamo!

I love the concept of "Beta" but really we need a whole alphabet soup of "types" to make this world the best it can be, and that's why I also appreciate your observation about the importance of choice.

Rachel
10-30-13, 6:20am

I absolutely see this at the place where I work. Over-achievement is the new normal. I want my weekends back. Oh, and some week nights would be nice too.

citrine
10-30-13, 10:22am
I am definitely a Beta and proud of it! I get exhausted just listening to some of my friends talk about working, raising kids, taking care of the household, activities, play dates....yada yada! I am happy to work on my clients, relax, try new recipes/home decor ideas, and do a whole lot of nothing if I want to! I didn't expect the white picket fence or marriage either, but it happened and thank god DH is even more laid back than me! Plus he LIKES to do all the home maintenance stuff...even takes vacation days to putz around in his shop and back yard!

pinkytoe
10-30-13, 10:25am
Over-achievement is the new normal.
Seems that way where I live too. I guess that's why I always feel a little guilty when I just want to be and not do.

JaneV2.0
10-30-13, 12:27pm
I wasn't paying attention when "driven" became a desired attribute, apparently. Knocking yourself out to get your own business up and running, or to establish a startup in hopes of cashing out, or for the love of art or science is understandable; sacrificing your life and health for some uncaring corporation is insanity.

Spartana
10-30-13, 4:53pm
I wasn't paying attention when "driven" became a desired attribute, apparently. Knocking yourself out to get your own business up and running, or to establish a startup in hopes of cashing out, or for the love of art or science is understandable; sacrificing your life and health for some uncaring corporation is insanity.
I couldn't agree with you more. I've been driven most of my working life but by other things than "working for the man" or working for myself or even by some socialtal standard of "success" or money.

JaneV2.0
10-30-13, 6:12pm
The only way I'm "driven" is in the sense of Miss Daisy. Looking for a driver.

puglogic
10-30-13, 7:24pm

Perfect!

Spartana
10-31-13, 7:01pm

I'm your girl :-). Love to drive and have a fancy red SUV rental right now to drive you in style :-) . Well I should say that while I'm the driven-type, I'm driven only by stuff I enjoy doing.