PDA

View Full Version : Streamlining Finances & Related

fidgiegirl
11-16-13, 5:02pm
In preparation for bambino I would like to make a few changes to some financials and related items to reduce the amount of running and/or errandy-type things we have to regularly do.

1) Look into different phone plan (an MVNO that should be cheaper), potentially switch, and break the family plan up. Right now my FiL/MiL and SiL are all on our plan, and they pay us by check every month. We have to chase down the checks half the time and also have to mail them to our credit union in my hometown an hour away. Bah. Switching plans is really the only way to diplomatically exit the family plan - otherwise it's just us wanting to not have to deal with the checks every month, and it would then cost more for everyone.

2) Switch my regular meds to the health plan's mail order service. I will feel bad about this because I really like my regular pharmacy but that doesn't mean we'll never use them again. They will arrive in the mail and we will save money.

3) Order dog food on Amazon.

Those are the top three, I'm sure I will think of more. Anyone want to join in? No pressure, just thought I'd put the intention out there into the world.

nswef
11-16-13, 5:24pm
I keep trying to do this. I'm consolidating bank accounts. I'm trying to get the finances easy for my husband to do if something would happen to me. We got the wills updated, got the powers of attorney all settled, so that's a relief. Congratulations on the new baby. It makes your head spin, I bet.

SteveinMN
11-17-13, 10:06am
We've consciously tried to streamline our finances. It just made sense to me -- frugal with our time, if nothing else. Things we've done:

- Compared to when we married, DW and I do almost all of our regular banking at our (local) credit union. There's only one checking account DW still holds that's kind of overdraft protection for DD, who still banks at that bank, the mortgage on my mom's place, and one of DW's credit cards. Other than that, checking, savings, credit cards, loans, mortgage -- all in one place. It makes keeping tabs on it and moving money around much easier. And (as you know) a credit union is almost always a better deal than a regular bank.
- We have only three credit cards between us. We don't need a VISA AND a Mastercard AND a Target card AND a Menard's card AND a SuperAmerica card AND...
- Similarly, insurance, with the exception of company-paid/COBRA'd life insurance and my disability insurance, is all through one company/agent.
- We are on autopay/billpay for as many bills as we can manage. It's so much easier not to have to write a check or find an envelope and a stamp to pay a bill. Log in, check the amounts to pay, schedule it, and done. I know some people have heard horror stories about autopay run amok and refuse to use it, but I see that as kind of like deciding not to drive because other people have had auto accidents. Not that it can't happen to us, but the benefit derived from it is so much greater than the potential for damage.
- We, too, are looking at MVNOs for telephone service. It's possible that we could save a few bucks by putting DW on an ultra-low-cost service with one carrier and me on a slightly more expensive (data) service with a different carrier. But we're going to stick with one carrier. It saves on setting up two automatic renewals, having to deal with two customer-service staffs, etc., even if it's a few bucks more for one of us (BTW, some MVNOs have family plans, but not many.)
- And we're already on mail-order for maintenance meds. Yes, I'd prefer dealing with a local independent pharmacy. But the terms of our insurance strongly encourage us to use mail-order whenever possible. And it is nice to have the stuff show up at the door every 90 days. I do try to patronize the indie pharmacy when I need the kind of products they sell, even if Target or the warehouse store can sell them for a little less.

flowerseverywhere
11-17-13, 10:41am
My dil gets her baby supplies at diapers.com. Delivery is quick and easy. Managing food is another way that you can really streamline your life. Making a grocery list so when you take something like ketchup from the cupboard adding the item, making extra and freezing meals, getting creative with leftovers can be very helpful to avoid take out or extra trips to the grocery. I also have a big folder on my desktop with recipes that are easy and inexpensive and use a lot of ingredients I always have on hand.

SteveinMN
11-17-13, 2:23pm
Managing food is another way that you can really streamline your life.
That reminds me that there are several services in the Twin Cities which deliver from the grocery: Coborn's, Lund's/Byerly's, even the Mississippi Market Coop. Probably others in town, too. Delivery is not all that expensive, either, if you're buying a week's worth of groceries and if saving time and driving count for anything. We've set up my MiL with Coborn's for the weeks when she's just not up to shopping. My biggest issue would be letting someone else pick out my meat and produce, but then, anymore, shopping is an outing for me...

fidgiegirl
11-17-13, 7:17pm
Oh yes, we already use Coborn's and love it!

Debating moving to Amazon for more things but also a bit torn . . . seems they are becoming a global behemoth, something I'm not too fond of in my retailers. But I haven't heard about any particular practice, aside from being large and therefore able to beat just about anyone on price, that is objectionable to me, so I continue to use them for some things. We shall see.

As for food, that's another one I could add to the list, I plan to assemble some frozen crock pot meals ahead of the birth. People may bring us food, but being gluten free my anxiety is already high about this. :( Too bad I can't see kindnesses for what they are and always have to be so nervous about them. Maybe no one will bring us food, either. So anyway, I'd rather be prepared.

I did recently make a meal planning book in a format that's worked well for us in the past, with lots of blank planning sheets in a three ring binder, and we will keep our old plans for ideas. I am also thinking of assembling our "four star" meals in there as well so I remember them when stumped for ideas. Already in just three weeks we have hit the grocery store far less than what we were doing. So I will hope to keep that up!

fidgiegirl
11-17-13, 10:25pm
Ooh. Mr. Money Mustache just came out with a super useful post on two MVNOs, Republic Wireless and Ting. There is soooooo much information out there on his forums, but it's too much. This was one of the most helpful posts in terms of just breaking down how it all works. http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/11/16/republic-wireless-old-phone-new-phone-and-a-tempting-competitor/

They both run on Sprint's network. Sprint is not a champ coverage-wise around here, but meh, for the cost savings, perhaps it's worth it - we'd save $70 a month. I am debating doing the switch with just my line, trying it out for the month window that Republic Wireless allows, and seeing if I like it. If not, I can go back to Verizon and get a new phone from them - I need one any way around.

Steve, I know you told me, but I forget - who were you looking at for your MVNO switch? Airsomething . . . ?

SteveinMN
11-17-13, 11:02pm
Kelli, we're looking at Airvoice (https://www.airvoicewireless.com/). I have one very-low-use phone on it now and it's been fine so far. I should move another line over there now though it looks like we may be with T-Mobile till next year anyway. :confused:

Tradd
11-17-13, 11:06pm
I don't auto pay anything (aside from my car/renters insurance), but I do online bill pay for everything, aside from rent. I also get all my statements and such online. So much easier. Even for things like my dentist and doctor, that I can't pay electronically, my bank will send a check for me.

If your bank has a mobile app, use that. It's SO handy, especially if I have to deposit the odd check I get for something. No more needing to run to the ATM.

Fidgie, Amazon is my go-to on everything possible. I know new parents who have used them for diapers and wipes. But check the prices, the store brand (such as Target) might be cheaper. But perhaps the convenience of having items delivered straight to your door might be worth paying a few dollars more.

Order everything online you can. I buy clothes from Talbots, unmentionables from Bare Necessities, shoes from Zappos (free shipping both ways). Once you know your size, it's very easy. It's unusual for me to actually buy clothes in a store now, unless I'm getting a new style at Talbots and want to try it on first.

Re people bringing you meals: IMHO, if you have a food allergy/sensitivity, it is perfectly acceptable and sensible to tell people who might bring you something (relatives, close friends) what you can/cannot have. Some years ago, I made a couple of meals for a family with a new baby. The dad had celiac. I talked with the mom and found out exactly what her husband could/couldn't have. Basic meat/veggies/rice/fruit were fine. I had plenty of recipes that would work for him with only a bit of tweaking. I seasoned with olive oil, garlic, onion, salt & pepper. They loved it and he was able to eat it without a problem. Since they had a crockpot, I brought over a whole chicken ready for the crockpot, complete with cut up veggies. I made some rice on the side (they just had to microwave), and brought bagged salad with washed/cut up veggies (the mom always made her own dressing), and some assorted fruit for dessert.

try2bfrugal
11-18-13, 2:49am
I buy a lot of the household stuff from Amazon. The prices are often lower than the brick and mortar stores, plus it saves on mileage on the car as well as my time.

The biggest time saver lately is the turbo oven I bought for the counter top. It is so small I don't bother to preheat the oven. I don't have to open any oven doors to check on the food because it is made of glass so I can see everything cook. And it cooks faster than the regular oven and uses less energy. It cleans up really easy. We have just had an easier time making more home cooked meals since we bought it and the meals have been turning out better than before. It has two racks so we can stack it with food, turn the dial and thirty minutes later dinner is done.

I have most of the bills set up on auto pay. I put as much as I can on the Fidelity American Express 2% cash back card.

I am trying to get to the point of stockpiling lots of food bought on sale or at bulk rates. I cleared out a cupboard of old food and stuff nobody wanted to eat and bought bulk packages of staples like rice, honey, beans, coffee, etc.

ToomuchStuff
11-19-13, 7:15pm
Thread jack:

The biggest time saver lately is the turbo oven I bought for the counter top. It is so small I don't bother to preheat the oven.

Is this your first one? If so, give a review please, after using it a bit. If not, how long did you get out of the last one? (flaws verses dependability/aka why did you get rid of it) I remember seeing these on infomercials, years ago, and by that time in my life, any infomercial item, was a "bad purchase". As a single person, I think these would make sense to me and I am also planning at some future point, a kitchen remodel (DIY one) and wonder about using one during it.
Just hoping to find one at a garage sale.

back on thread....

There is a lot people buy online, that I just don't get. From shoes (how do you know they fit and feel comfortable?) to groceries (checking expiration dates to how it is handled on the way to you, etc), I am leery. Efficiency has been a part of my life for so long, from planning routes (and all the shopping I could get done between point a and b with no extra trips), that I have gotten in trouble at work. (inefficiency gives others something to do/correct, which I don't understand)
Streamlining is a way of life.

Blackdog Lin
11-19-13, 9:43pm
Toomuchstuff: I can touch on internet shopping for you - you mentioned shoes. Well, Zappos is the bomb for those of us with hard-to-fit feet.

I have small feet with bunions, so need a woman's size 6W. And my feet hurt unless I have a good pair of supportive shoes. Even in the big-city shoe stores, if I'm in the market for say a pair of white sneakers, they MAY have 2 choices in my size, usually 1, and in my rural area, forgettaboutit. So the only way to get a perfect pair of shoes is to spend 2-3 days perusing Zappos, looking at styles and reading reviews, then adding possibilities to my favorites list, and then weeding it down to my first choice. And then ordering.

Zappos prices are not out of line with what retail stores charge for good name brands. Free shipping. They show up within 2 days. And then I wear the shoes in the house for 2-3 hours in clean conditions (I did this at work when I was still in the workforce, and it's easy enough to put grocery bags over the shoes for walking around - though you look really silly!). This tells me if there are any problems with the toe-fit or the support or if I just hate the style. And if they're not right, I send them back. And then I just have to go back online, tell them the shoes are coming back, print out a label FOR FREE SHIPPING BACK, they credit my account, and I decide on my second choice.

I have never had my first choice work, and once had to be on my 4th choice before I had the shoes I needed, but ZAPPOS DOESN'T CARE. They still offer me my free shipping both ways and the selection and customer service is too excellent.

So depending on the internet company you are using.....sometimes internet shopping is the only (no, best!) way to go.